• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Said to me at the car show...

With me, (to quote Indiana Jones)...it ain't the years, it's the miles. I've sounded like microwave popcorn when I climb out of bed in the morning, and that's been since my big accident in '08 when I was 35.
My next door neighbour complained to me one day about the loud "sex noises" coming from my house every morning. I had to explain to him that is just me getting out of bed and putting my socks on!

This didn't happen at a car show but at a bar I was in a few years ago. A young guy came in and asked "Who's Model A is that out there?" The owner piped up, "Why do you wanna know? You couldn't afford it anyway!? The kid was pretty quick on his toes and said, I would use that dropped front axle to make a trailer and junk the rest of it. I thought he had it coming.

I’ve had the “did you buy it new?” question asked many times over the years. I turned 16 in 1969. Don’t I wish….
Lol, been asked a time or two about that with my '63 - I say yes - I was 9 then and yea, my wife is Morgan Fairchild...visit her in the nursing home once a week.

Years ago I rode my 75 Moto Guzzi 850-T to a local watering hole. Backed it in next to a couple of HD Shovels. Got a beer and walked outside to hear the owners of the HDs talking about how many rebuilds they had done on their engines. They kept looking at my bike and rolling their eyes. They asked me, "What is this thing?. I told them and added, "This thing has more miles on it than yours and the only time the valve covers have been off is to adjust the valves".
The response?
"My bike is better as a boat anchor than yours is as a motorcycle".
I replied, "We better go the the hardware store".
"Why?"
"To get you some anchor chain".

I was at a local town car show with my 65 Belvedere wagon a couple of years ago. Old lady walks up it. She asks if it's my car. I say yup. She says "I got busy in the back of one of those.". Too much information lady.

Took my 71 to a local cars and coffee event. Mostly imports and new mustangs,camaros, and challengers. Only a hand full of older cars. I was the the only old Mopar there. I was suprised the amount if attention the the car got. All from high school to mid twenty something kids. (I only say kids, cause I have grandkids close to that age).
They were very polite, took loads of photos, and asked many questions. One of them even thanked me for bring it out, he said he had only seen a Plymouth in photos online never before in person. I left the show thinking there is hope for our hobby after all.
20230430_093723.jpg
ý
20230430_100343.jpg

20230430_100343.jpg

Lol, been asked a time or two about that with my '63 - I say yes - I was 9 then and yea, my wife is Morgan Fairchild...visit her in the nursing home once a week.

Morgan Fairchild was at the Fall Ocean City Cruise last year. She's not in the nursing home yet, looking very good actually.

Spring Cruise is only two weeks away!

pic-fairchild.jpg

I once overheard a couple of typical meatheads at a show saying "Why would anybody paint their car white..?"
My response: "I dunno, ask Chrysler...."
And my favorite retort to those guys is "Hey so which car out here is yours?"
"Uhhm uhh well it's still being put together, just waiting on the stroker motor/roll cage/nitrous kit blah blah"
Yeah okay.......
20190828_214704.jpg

I get asked what's under the hood all the time. Okay, it's a lie (528") but it's right there.
I get asked that all the time too....I love saying "just a stock 318". If they look like they might have a clue from the sound, then it's "just a stock 440"!

When someone asks me how big my rat motor is, I tell em " it's a hundred over 396".

Not my fault if they think 421, instead of 496.....

Took my 71 to a local cars and coffee event. Mostly imports and new mustangs,camaros, and challengers. Only a hand full of older cars. I was the the only old Mopar there. I was suprised the amount if attention the the car got. All from high school to mid twenty something kids. (I only say kids, cause I have grandkids close to that age).
They were very polite, took loads of photos, and asked many questions. One of them even thanked me for bring it out, he said he had only seen a Plymouth in photos online never before in person. I left the show thinking there is hope for our hobby after all.View attachment 1460608ýView attachment 1460610

View attachment 1460649
Been to Hawaii a few times, the younger folks I've interacted with there seem a little less broken than many of the ones I've interacted with here....

Not necessarily at car shows because I didn’t take the GTX to many - but at gas stations, parking lots, even people peeking in my garage etc, etc …. Hey, wow that’s a really sweet GTO….. And countless people never heard of a Plymouth. The first few hundred times it was funny but I had long since given up explaining…… What they don’t know won’t hurt them….

No kidding! I have a lot of people ask me, what is the difference is between a GTO and a GTX? They are obviously not car people...

The one I like is why a mopar. Answer is always the same. I drive the best and fastest.

My friend has a 1962 Dart Maxie clone. A couple were looking it over at a car show, and the guy said, " This is an odd looking car. What kind is it? ". My friend told him it was a Studebaker. LOL

Sometimes when someone asks me what engine is in it, I just say V-8.

Here’s my young friend taking his first ride in a classic car. I think his face pretty much says it all

F43CAE07-C671-474A-992F-EDD54952FD4E.png

We go out of our way to ask kids if they want to sit in the '81 BumbleBee Camaro. It has Transformers badges in place of Chevy Bowties on it and kids think it's the real robot. They sit behind the wheel on their knees and their parents take their pictures. Trust me they can't hurt that car, it's rough just like the one in the movie. That's the '97 SS and '71 Challenger. My other's are not show-worthy.

IMG_2899.jpg

Update on the "did you buy it new?" question. So I took the GTX out yesterday for the first show of the season. Put a copy of the original window sticker on the dash, so folks could see the local Clark Motor Company history at a glance. Sticker price of nearly $5000, a lot of bucks in 1969. At least half the onlookers asked me if I was the original owner. I must be looking pretty rough these days.

One younger observer was pretty good at math and history, said wow, that had to be an old rich guy's car. The original owner was 48 when he ordered the car, and had enough money to fly a vintage P51 Mustang as a hobby.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back