• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Science quiz: What's the difference in using crude oil?

SteveSS

Local time
12:45 PM
Reaction score
If the environment is the main concern what is the difference between using oil produced in the USA as opposed to imported oil from Saudi Arabia, or Venezuela? I understand price may be a factor if it's transported from the other side of the world but is there any difference in the impact of refining the oil and using it?

Well,,, yes. Some oil is easier and cheaper to turn into usable product. Ie, middle east oil is closer to petroleum than tar sands.

Might be cheaper to refine it, however, if it come from halfway around the world to another country to be refined, how is it cheaper or better?

I looked it up. Tar sands are present in Venezuela, Alberta, and Eastern Utah. That sounds like a very small part of the oil produced in the USA.

Might be cheaper to refine it, however, if it come from halfway around the world to another country to be refined, how is it cheaper or better?
Good question. I have no idea about transportation costs.
I looked it up. Tar sands are present in Venezuela, Alberta, and Eastern Utah. That sounds like a very small part of the oil produced in the USA.
I believe the Alberta (and Saskatchewan really, but that's another subject) oil deposits are some of the largest world wide. But they are harder to extract, and our crooked govt doesn't want to pay its own citizens to be self sustained. The east has no resources, and therefore wants the west to be have-nots as well.

I say we buy all the middle east oil we can get our hands on. There’s not an infinite supply on the earth and when theirs is gone and we’re sitting on a huge supply who has the upper hand. We can make them pay for being crooks all this time OPEC.

This planet makes oil on a daily basis.

We can use solar and wind to make hydrogen gas, hemp seed to make bio-diesel, hemp fiber to make methane. Those are renewable.
Then, the oil companies burn off natural gas we could use.
[/URL]
We could all be sitting at home smoking weed while waiting for the end to come also.
Doesn't make me any difference with they do. Just don't shove it do our throats while saying you've got to do this or else.

We could all be sitting at home smoking weed while waiting for the end to come also.
Doesn't make me any difference with they do. Just don't shove it do our throats while saying you've got to do this or else.
Hydrogen from electricity is old science. We could smoke weed, burn the oil from its seeds, and heat our homes with gas made from the stems.... if we lived in a free country. The exact opposite of waiting for the end.

It is starting to look like our free country is being taken over by those wanting to live in a democracy. Stupid sheep don't know what they are asking for.

It's a shame our biggest polluters are not even being looked at but the rest of us are getting the boot. Energy and transportation are not destroying the planet. Unless we want to look at greed and those wasting resources in a threw away society. But very little is produced with the idea of repair. Instead, just threw it away and buy another.
No matter how man tries to create energy there will be consequences. Electric cars are old school. They didn't work in today's form 100 years ago and I don't see them in our long-term future either. When we figure out how to ditch the battery there maybe hope. Until then which really causes the worse environmental harm is yet to be seen. Will man's short sightedness be his undoing?

Until then which really causes the worse environmental harm is yet to be seen. Will man's short sightedness be his undoing?
Yes, it will! Man's biggest problem to the environment is the over population of the planet, nothing else matters! We've already crossed the threshold and we are now in the destruction of the planet mode with population. All because the Lord said, "Be fruitful and multiply", so how much ******* is enough before problems occur?

Then let’s start with sterilization in China and India first.

China is already in a population decline due to the one kid program.
Not sure if I can find it but the Lord also told us we could not overpopulate the planet.
After the dumb asses in power dive into nuclear war populations will drop dramatically. I live close enough to a strategic military base if this occurs, I just might be one of the lucky ones.
The rest will be left to deal with radiation poisoning, polluted food, water supplies and the nothing ness that will be the after math. Not a pretty picture.

yes it does say in the bible about over populating . but remember the same people that are running this world took out prayer in schools . i say bring it back the pledge of a allegiance and to salute our flag and prayer .

Not that the Muslim world has it right but they are devoted to Allah. Most of what they have wrong is centered around listening to the wrong people. Much as some are in this country that only want to believe in the plastic in their pocket. Oh yea that plastic by the way is a petro product.

Wars are for population control. You take all the fertile males and send them out to die.
The women don't have time to raise children because they are the ones working to replace the missing male workforce.
Been that way since time began.
The next war should be a real population adjustment tool.....

Auto Transport Service
Back