Seat recover questions

Interior

1. SDCoronet

SDCoronet Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:35 PM
    Hey Everyone,

I have to eventually redo my front and rear bench seats with new Legendary covers.

I reviewed their videos on YouTube in preparation of doing it myself - it does not look difficult, but and a couple of things seem weird to me.

1. Legendarys kit for front and rear seats costs $236 each + $80 shipping, for some foam and cotton wtf? What what would a reasonable car auto upholstery shop charge me (supplies and labor)?

2. I see that they use loose cotton batting/padding for the seat backs, and burlap directly over the springs. Are these used in modern seats and/or by professional upholstery shops? I would have assumed that they would use more modern or improved materials, like memory foam for instance.

Thanks guys.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  2. Demonic

Demonic Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:35 PM
    Burlap is a bit more durable. Muslin and burlap can be bought from fabric shops like JoAnne's. I added 1/2" of high density foam, mine were in good shape to start with.

• Like Like x 1
    • Aarons Air

Aarons Air Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      I used carpet instead of burlap. The backing protects the foam from springs wearing through, better than burlap. It also distributes the weight on the springs more evenly.

• Like Like x 1
      • 4406bbl

4406bbl Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        3:35 PM

• 4406bbl

Local Time:
        Advice I got from an upholstery supply house.
        Use marine grade indoor outdoor carpet over the springs. Hogring around the edges. Burlap even new stuff smells.
        Never use memory foam it breaks down faster.
        I found the cotton batting at Online Fabric Store, $60-70 shipped, always wrap the cotton with muslin.
        I bought new listing wire from an auto upholstery shop. High density seat foam sucks on a seat back, uncomfortable.
        I was quoted $600 for cuda leather buckets, and the rear seat labor only. That does not include painting the frames if needed. It is not as easy as it looks. Legendary quoted me $400 just for the 2 front leather seats...would have been worth it. With new foam they were a bitch, if you watch the videos make sure any muslin you glue to foam is along a seat cover styleline, or it will show thru, I got to do mine twice because of that, good at it now. Bench seats are easier than buckets.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
        • 69L48Z27

69L48Z27 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          Shops will charge $800-$1000 to install your covers, front and rear, and supply materials needed for the bench seats.
          Modern cars use a cover over molded foam. You don’t see bench seats anymore, maybe van seats or pickup but they’re molded foam more than likely.
          You can do it yourself with minimal tools but it takes patience if you don’t do this everyday. I don’t think your getting anything from Legendary anytime soon, I was getting emails from them that production was shut down since they are non-essential.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
          • Durandal25

Durandal25 FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:

....I'm going through the same drill......but let me tell you, the stuff they send in that kit has everything you need to do it right. There are lots of ways to do it......some better, and many worse. I personally have done about 4 sets of the years with the exact same kits....and all turned out perfect........with the pricey kit......and beer.......and my dog, who seems to always want to take a wiz when I'm hog-ringing that super hard corner.....

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
            • 4406bbl

Local Time:
              Will not argue that the kits are good. By the time you buy the right type and width foam, the right batting, and a few other items you are over $100. I will not reuse anything under a new cover, and will not use burlap because of the stink. All the big box lumberyards have the marine carpet, the 1/4" black or grey. If you do use burlap you had better weave wire back thru it or the seat will be soft, bouncy. The wire used is thin springy almost like music wire so if you can find a spool, any old thin wire is not going to work right or last.

• Durandal25

Durandal25 FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
              Piano wire....works perfectly....and it cheap as chips. I get the burlap smell.....but hey, if I wanted a new car smell, I've never let my heeler in it.....hehe

• roadrunner57

roadrunner57 Active Member

Local Time:
              My wife and I covered the rear seats in 70 RR ourselves. I just used the burlap, worked fine. The old burlap was still in pretty good shape too. We did mine on a 90 degree sunny day after sitting the covers in sun for about 30 minutes. Now I have to cover the front bucket seats.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
              1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
                By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.