• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sebring vs Roadrunner Huge Value Difference!

Evoking

Local time
2:09 AM
Reaction score
While shopping classic Mopar and comparing in NADA values I saw that the 72 Road Runner lists a high side of $60K. While the Sebring only $20k.

Is this really true? Aren't they the same car? I am now scared to buy and invest in Sebring.

IMG_1157.PNG IMG_1156.PNG

If you are buying it for an investment, then by all means buy a real RR. If you are buying it to drive, enjoy and not worry about, then buy the Sebring.

I would bet that the high end RR price involves a Hemi.

What you're looking at is a Sebring Plus. There will be a bigger difference on a Sebring. There should be a different value for a transformed or cloned roadrunner.

If you are buying it for an investment, then by all means buy a real RR. If you are buying it to drive, enjoy and not worry about, then buy the Sebring.

I would bet that the high end RR price involves a Hemi.
I would take that bet, but you would have to look at the 71.

I would take that bet, but you would have to look at the 71.
Yeah, I'm not up on 1972 options. But the high end prices now go for the highest optioned cars then.

If you're a "numbers" unit....they're completely different. If you're a hobbyist, it's a great way to have a fun car....that you won't ruin by making it the way you like. Garage ornament, vs useable car.

If you are only in this to make money , you are part of the problem and the reason the average guys can't even afford to play cars. Go invest in a 63 Vette or Chevelle if you are trying to double your money

Investing in cars, isn't for novices, and timing is everything. Looks like a falling market that at some time in the future....will not recover. Just look art earlier generations of popular cars. As the audience shrinks[people aging]....the prices drop. There's gonna be WAY more cars than buyers, soon.

If you're into driving and hot rodding it, get the Sebring. Personally, I am done with trailer queen cars. I've owned them, and still own one, but life's too short to stare at it without driving it. When I drive, i don't want to stress about paint or road grime.

If you are a true hobbiest, you will be upside-down in it.

The funest cars were owning them in the late 70s or early 80s when you could daily drive an A-12 and few people blinked an eye. They mostly had original paint and were dirty underneath anyway so you could drive em rain or shine. And tire rubber bits on the rear quarters? You left that sh*t for a while as a warning to others you would actually pull the trigger!

While shopping classic Mopar and comparing in NADA values I saw that the 72 Road Runner lists a high side of $60K. While the Sebring only $20k.

Is this really true? Aren't they the same car? I am now scared to buy and invest in Sebring.

View attachment 388529 View attachment 388530

You're comparing a top end rare as hens teeth 440-6bbl four speed to everything else. A nice garden variety 72 RR is probably in the high $20 low $30 K range. There's not a 40k difference between a SSP and a RR.

BTW....let me know when one of the 72 440-6 four speed RRs is for sale at $62k.

If you read each of the values. They are both based on a 440 engine. I did not select the HEMI the option.

And what did you mean by you would buy the real thing Roadrunner. They were two different models offered in the same year by the same Plymouth brand where they not?

Lastly I am not in this purely for the investment. I'm looking for a fun toy. But before I spend upward of $40k for a rotisserie restored Sebring it would be good to know that I have not just spent 2X what it is worth. Surely this has to be wrong that a top of the market Sebring is only worth $20K while the twin is worth $60K. That makes no sense at all to me.

For example a mustang is worth 20% more than its Cougar twin. Why would a Roadrunner be worth 300% the value of its Sebring twin. And why are they they in the same Plymouth brand anyhow? Confused!

You could not get a 440-6 in a SSP so the comparison is invalid. They are not twins.

You're comparing a top end rare as hens teeth 440-6bbl four speed to everything else. A nice garden variety 72 RR is probably in the high $20 low $30 K range. There's not a 40k difference between a SSP and a RR.

BTW....let me know when one of the 72 440-6 four speed RRs is for sale at $62k.

That is what I thought too. But when you plug on apples to apples cars the RR is worth much more. Not sure why. Go to NADA for classics and post you come up with.

Net net what would a rotisserie restored Sebring with big block and 4spd be worth. This is what I would build.

You're comparing apples to ducks. The NADA values cannot exist therefore the premise is flawed.

IMHO. 62.5 for one of the 72 6bbl RRs would be a bargain.

It is worth the time and money you put into it. But don't expect anyone to pay that.

Last edited:
You could not get a 440-6 in a SSP so the comparison is invalid. They are not twins.

I put them both as 440/6 to get a feel for a restomod with big block. They don't show restomods so I was seeking to see what the "supposed" top end value is. Restomods bring whatever they are worth in the mind of the buyer.

Also, not sure why NADA 440/6 them to even be an option for Sebring if not really available.

I put them both as 440/6 to get a feel for a restomod with big block. They don't show restomods so I was seeking to see what the "supposed" top end value is. Restomods bring whatever they are worth in the mind of the buyer.

Also, not sure why NADA 440/6 them to even be an option for Sebring if not really available.

Sorry. You can't do it that way and gain any insight to a useful comparison. The 440-6 adds a huge premium to the RR that doesn't apply to the SSP. Compare something like a 400-4 and see what you get.

I think I just got the answer to my question. They were not different models afterall. The Sebring is the base version of the RR. So they are the same car separated by engines/trim.

Would it be a mistake to buy a $40k rotiserrie restored and big block Sebring? Wondering if most people expect to only spend that much on a RR regardless if they are the same and that someone invested a ton.

Restomod = personalized money pit that no one else will pay for. You build it, you better enjoy it.

I think I just got the answer to my question. They were not different models afterall. The Sebring is the base version of the RR. So they are the same car separated by engines/trim.

Would it be a mistake to buy a $40k rotiserrie restored and big block Sebring? Wondering if most people expect to only spend that much on a RR regardless if they are the same and that someone invested a ton.

They are different models based on the same platform with model specific trim and some options.

Mistake? Not if you love the car. Crazy? Yes. 40k for a 72 SSP???

Sorry. You can't do it that way and gain any insight to a useful comparison. The 440-6 adds a huge premium to the RR that doesn't apply to the SSP. Compare something like a 400-4 and see what you get.

I just did both with the 400. The RR was $51k and Sebring $14k! Both with 400 and 4spd!

Auto Transport Service
Back