• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selling car over-seas

Cornpatch MO

Local time
1:21 AM
Reaction score
I have a chance to sell my 56 Chrysler to a guy from England. That would make my 64 Dodge project get done sooner.

Anyone here done that? How do I get paid in a way that is least risky for me and for the buyer? I think he will make all arrangements to get it to a port and ship it accross the pond. How is the title transferred? He wants me to do some work on it before it gets shipped. What is a good way to get a cash commentment before I spend any money? Thanks for any input.....................................Mo............ from Iowa

I sold a car to a guy in England back in 2004. Not a lot of administrative problems. I just signed the title over to him, but be sure to ask if there are any forms he needs you to complete like a separate, notarized, bill of sale as they're sticklers for collecting the proper duties/taxes.

I lived in Maryland, so I just drove the car up to a shipper in Baltimore that he wanted to use. I'm guessing whatever shipper your buyer uses will direct him to a transporter to get it to them from Iowa.

As for payment, I would suggest paypal. I used to take foreign bank drafts, certified checks, and even money orders for purchases, but after 9/11 the banking rules changed and processing foreign bank monetary instruments became a total pain in the ***. Paypal fees suck, but not as much as getting a check or money order that your bank refuses to accept.

My bank has just done a money transfer to the sellers bank and when all is cleared seller lets the car go, I have bought 5 cars whithout problems, if he want you do to some work or buy parts let him send those money first and you are safe.

- - - Updated - - -

If you don't wanna give him your account number your bank can phone his bank, after you both talked to them and he gets the number to deal, and they will solve the problem.

i have sold one car and two motorcycles overseas. paypal worked best for me and buyer. figure out what they are going to charge you and tag that on top of the agreed selling price or it comes out of your end. make copies of everything twice. mail a copy to him/her along with a set of keys. insured and add that cost on agreed selling cost. if your working remember you probably have to meet the shipper during working hours, add that on top of agreed selling price. hope you get my point here. . . or you could put it on ebay for USA SALE ONLY . and forgo any of these hassles and keep the car in America . http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...for-selling-a-car-to-someone-overseas.731183/

My bank has just done a money transfer to the sellers bank and when all is cleared seller lets the car go, I have bought 5 cars whithout problems
Bought three cars this way, never had a problem.

Draw up a bill of sale, mail it to the buyer, let the buyer arrange the pick-up of your car and you'll hand out the title and keys to the shipper, deal done for you.

Greets from Germany

Make deal, secure funds, have buyer arrange all transportation.

Bought three cars this way, never had a problem.

Draw up a bill of sale, mail it to the buyer, let the buyer arrange the pick-up of your car and you'll hand out the title and keys to the shipper, deal done for you.

Greets from Germany

I just sold a car to a guy in Holland & he simply wired the funds into my account, I emailed him a bill of sale & he made all the arrangements to pick the car up and have it shipped.

Once the funds were in my account, I knew that I was safe.

I just sold a car to a guy in Holland & he simply wired the funds into my account, I emailed him a bill of sale & he made all the arrangements to pick the car up and have it shipped.

Once the funds were in my account, I knew that I was safe.

Actually, if you used your regular acct, they have acct numbers for it. A friend of mine sold a truck to someone in the Middle East. My wife works at a bank, and opened up a separate account for him. Once the money came in and all was good to go, he transferred the money to his regular acct, and closed the new acct.

Stupid question time - what's the advantage of selling the car overseas. Do you get more money for it? I would want to keep my car here in the good old USA.

I have wondered about exporting myself....I would like to ship a dodge demon to Dubai but in my case I will remain as the same owner, I am just planning to store it and use it over there.

I don't know what kind of duties and taxes I will be in for since I am not actually selling it.

Someone told me I might have to draw up papers as if I am selling but sign myself as the buyer and seller and transfer the title to myself....or sell it to a male relative

Bank to bank transfer in US funds. That is the absolute safest way for both of you.

As stated above I open a new savings acct (not tied in to any other accts,) the buyer transfer s funds into it. It clears I move it to a diff acct and get rid of the extra acct. The buyer also takes care of shipping usealy the signed title just gets hidden in the car somewhere. Also if he wants work done the car needs to be payed for ether in full or at least half also the cost of what your doing.
there's no benefit to selling over seas but they are buying not to many people are buying in the states . I've sold overseas 3 times no problems . Good luck with your deal hope it works out

Stupid question time - what's the advantage of selling the car overseas. Do you get more money for it? I would want to keep my car here in the good old USA.
IMO not stupid at all. I met this guy and his brother-in-law when we went to the 57 Plymy un-earthing in Tulsa Ok . They came from England, bought a 1960 Desoto in Minnesota, drove it to St, Louis, met up with other folks from the Forwardlook web site club . Traveled on Route 66 , I joined them down by Joplin, Mo. and we all caravaned to Tulsa. via route 66. After Tulsa they drove to A seaport in Texas and had the car shipped to England. We became friends and he really liked my 56 Chrysler, so I recently offered to sell it to him. Working out the deal now. My wifer does not want to see someone from around here driving it, and we both want him to have it. He will appreciate that car like no one else that I know...................................MO

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks much folks , your input is very valuable. This group of Mopar nuts and this website are the best ! .....................................MO

I sold my 71 satty to Germany...w help from RC at the time-I got paid by wire transfer...the guy set up shipping and he paid everything associated. I gave title/reg to the flatbed driver

That's funny. When I sell a car[money in hand], if the person wants to burn it....I'll bring the matches. They're just things.

I have sold most of my spare hemi parts overseas to Sweden. They pay much more then you have no haggle with local guys and nobody comes to your house to case your house.

Auto Transport Service
Back