• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Contemplating Selling My 69 Charger

poopdeckpappy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:48 AM
Reaction score
Good morning, and Happy Father's Day to all the dads. I am seriously contemplating selling my almost completed, rotisserie restored 69 Charger. here's the deal:
Last May, the body shop called out of nowhere and said i had a week to get my car and parts leftover out because the owners have sold the business and shop(without notice)and are retiring. "Sorry Calvin". So understandably I say the necessary words to make sure I have easy access and no one would be inclined to do anything further dirty to me. We get the car and parts safely home, mind you the amount already paid to the shop was for reassembly as well. As a result, I bought a 20ft enclosed and a couple covers and carefully put her away. That was last May. I run 2 businesses and have zero extra time, plus I now have trust issues with putting this beautiful car in the hands of anyone I don't know. I walk outside, and there it is. I pull in the drive and there it is. Tis very frustrating in the least and it's getting old. Something has to change or give. In all honesty, I think they ruined my dream, and i've been thinking of letting her go to the right person who appreciates what it is, and has the ability to bring her to fruition, and finish the reassembly.
What i'm interested in hearing is if some of you guys, taking into consideration the variables and my time constraints would do the same. I don't need the money, just the outside opinion from guys who might have some input in order to move forward. Thanks.

Here are a couple photos of the day we brought it home.

20211014_131119.jpg

20211014_131134.jpg

SLick looking Charger. Too bad you can't find someone in KC that can finish it for you.

In your situation, I think you would be better off to sell it as is and then keep a look out for a finished car that suits you. In today's time, the less frustration and aggravation one subjects themselves to the better

I walk outside, and there it is. I pull in the drive and there it is.

Move that beautiful car indoors and out of sight right now before it gets stolen!!!

In your situation, I think you would be better off to sell it as is and then keep a look out for a finished car that suits you. In today's time, the less frustration and aggravation one subjects themselves to the better
With the above sentiments in mind, I sold off three nice GTXs in the past two years, and replaced them with a single car that needs absolutely nothing. Have zero regrets about the decision. For point of reference, I will be turning 70 in two months.

With the above sentiments in mind, I sold off three nice GTXs in the past two years, and replaced them with a single car that needs absolutely nothing. Have zero regrets about the decision. For point of reference, I will be turning 70 in two months.
I'm with you there. As I get older, working on them and building them isn't fun any more. If you don't have the time or space to put one back together, selling what you have and buying a finished car is the way to go.

Your ultimate BEST option, is to sell it to me really dirt cheap. I won't tell anyone.

What you have left to do is pure therapy for some of us.
Do what's right for you I guess but if it was me I'd have a small garage rented and the car would have been complete a long time ago. Leaving that car sitting outside is wrong.
Check with your local Mopar club and see if you can hire someone to complete it for you that loves these cars. I've assembled quite a few cars for people that won't do it themselves (make sure you check references and what they have done in the past).

What you have left to do is pure therapy for some of us.
Do what's right for you I guess but if it was me I'd have a small garage rented and the car would have been complete a long time ago. Leaving that car sitting outside is wrong.
Check with your local Mopar club and see if you can hire someone to complete it for you that loves these cars. I've assembled quite a few cars for people that won't do it themselves (make sure you check references and what they have done in the past).
It's in a nice enclosed trailer under 2 covers. Both of my businesses are "Hands On" for me, and I have no time. I forgot to mention I work 7 days a week. After Father's Day breakfast with my kids, it's back to work again.

Happy Father's Day!

What is left to assemble? Engine/drivetrain rebuilt already?
Interior, dash, seats all refurbished?
Looks like a nice Charger. Too bad you aren't close or I'd give you a hand. Reassembly is the fun part for me.

Good luck. Don’t sell to a relative, friend, acquaintance, or close to home so you have to see it with any regularity. Be thankful that it’s not about the money.

I really appreciate all the input and after much, much consideration. I'll be posting it for sale here soon. I will get it all together with all my provenance, and some lucky guy or gal will buy a dream car.

Numbers matching, rotisserie restored, soundproofing, new vinyl roof, disc brakes, new 15 inch tires&wheels, new glass all around, plus much, much more. Clear title.

20170420_204927.jpg

20200109_143337.jpg

20211014_131145.jpg

20230316_131056.jpg

20230316_132036.jpg

20230316_132230.jpg

20230316_132305.jpg

20230316_132242.jpg

I agree with others about getting a finished car. This is America so you do what you want, but personally I think 7 days a week is 2 days too many to work. Suddenly you will be an old man, and you will only have money to show for all the years. But I do not know you or your situation or your goals, so you do you.

I would also ponder on why this particular car is your dream car. is it, specifically, a 69 Charger? Or is it a B body Mopar from the era and that is the body style you like best? Is it the driving? If one of these things is the top reason, you should consider how you move forward. If you want, specifically, a 69 Charger with a particular drivetrain, then you will need to search for the right one and probably pay a bit extra, but your dream will be there.

However, if it has more to do with being an era- Mopar, or a particular drivetrain, or feeling of driving, you have a lot more options, and for SURE shouldn't be so hung up on selling a project. Back a few decades ago, i had a '91 full size bronco. Lots of good times with that thing. I traded it in with another car I had at the time to get the family wagon which I had for a lot of years. More recently, I really started to miss the Bronco, so I went looking for one. But I decided after some looking, it wasn;t the Bronco itself, I didn;t miss the Bronco specifically, I just missed the super short wheel base full size truck with a fat V8. With that in mind, I expanded to Bronco, Ramcharger, and even the K5 Blazer(I would have swapped the Blazer to like a 327 I think) with price vs condition and options being the deciding factor. I ended up with Ramcharger, partly because when I got it they hadn't blown up in price yet, and partly because Mopar, and partly because I hadn;t seen one around by me in like 20 years and always liked them.

Do I miss the Bronco? NO. Not anymore, the Ramcharger has the same "agile" full size 80's design truck feeling with impossibly small turning radius and surprising amount of giddy-up for a truck. I was missing the feeling and fun, not the nameplate.

That is my approach to a lot about cars though. I tend to not get hung up one what is "cool" or popular, or nostalgia, I get the things for me because I love driving and love the mechanical design and tweaking on things and... well basically gearhead stuff. I tend to favor Mopar because, funny enough, things they did because they had financial trouble like reusing certain chassis for too long or pulling things from parts bins to make more then one model ends up making for some really interesting vehicles out there, and Chrysler for the most part was not afraid to sneak a little extra in to one up Ford or GM without saying so on paper.

This got long, but the point is make sure when you are considering why you want a car you aren;t paying more for a driving feeling then you need to, and consider that also when thinking about selling something. If you can make enough cash to pay for the next one you have your eye on, it sounds like a good deal to me. If you have a super specific goal in mind for your dream car, then consider that before selling one, you may find it hard to locate that dream car if it is few and far between.

Me, Me, Me! Well, I mean my son Bryce and me. I'm from SE Kansas and my brother lives in Prarie Village, KS (Suburb of KC.) I'll send a PM.

Happy Father's Day!

What is left to assemble? Engine/drivetrain rebuilt already?
Interior, dash, seats all refurbished?
Looks like a nice Charger. Too bad you aren't close or I'd give you a hand. Reassembly is the fun part for me.
Well @threewood how about I buy it and trailer it to your neighborhood and hire you for a couple weeks?

(Just kidding, out of my league - but this looks like a doable project.)

Best of luck to you @poopdeckpappy . Hopefully this works out in your favor. Life is never a direct path. Peace!

Auto Transport Service
Back