• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Semi building a 68 Plymouth Tribute car

Dodgezilla

Local time
6:10 AM
Reaction score
I have a pretty nice 68 Sport Satellite that I am planning on putting an engine in and probably selling. I have all of the exterior parts to make it a GTX Tribute car and I also have some of the interior parts as well. Now, as the car sits right now it is much closer to being a Road Runner tribute car and all I would really need to do is put the Road Runner stickers and door plaques on it.

My question here is which way do you guys think it would sell quicker? It seems that everybody knows what a Road Runner is but apparently lots of people, even some older ones, don't know or simply have forgotten what a GTX is. Of course all you guys know the difference but out in the real world the GTX is a mystery to many people. It will cost me more to make it a GTX but I just don't know if the extra value will be there to justify it. I also do not plan on going nuts trying to make it a restoration. I just plan on getting it close and let the next owner deal with making it perfect...

Let me know what you guys think...

Hello Dogezilla,
Welcome to the forum!
Thanks for joining.

In my opinion, I would keep it as a 1968 Sport Satellite.
-Why?
-Simply because the new owner can then do what he/she wants to do with the car.
1. If you fix it as a semi clone Roadrunner, someone else my want a Sport Satellite.
2. If you fix it up as a semi GTX look, the same thing may happen, someone may "un-do" the Clone work you performed.

Just my 2 cents
To me it seems you are just going to sell it anyway.

I agree with super bee ski,
sport satellite is a nice car to have, everyday the sunsets the original car are harder and harder to find.
if your going to sell it just make it run. I'd sell the GTX trim to someone that needs it for their original GTX.
i have 2 satellites 65 & 66 also have a plain jane 65 Belvedere 2dr post manual transmission.
Something like the 65 Belv I is my idea for a good A990 clone.
that's my opinion powertrain, suspension and brake swap good trim swap bad.
Good luck with your build and sale, Klaus

Everyone clones their Satellites and Coronets. I vote for leaving it as be. Even de-badging it and keep it true to it's roots. That's what I did to my 68.

Attachments

• 68 sat.jpg
    68 sat.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 171
Everyone clones their Satellites and Coronets. I vote for leaving it as be. Even de-badging it and keep it true to it's roots. That's what I did to my 68.

That car is beautiful! I'd rather have a nice Satellite or Coronet,than a fake X or Bee.

Thanks guys. I swear I never even considered leaving it as a Sport Satellite. Very interesting idea. I could probably build my motor with what I could get selling my GTX parts. Hmmmm....
I'm not sure I will sell it but it's a possibility. Problem is that I need to park it in the garage and unless I leave 1.5' of it sticking out the door then my family cannot get around it to get into the house. I swear they make garages to fit Honda civics these days and nothing bigger. Anyway, I was considering selling this and getting me a Dart in similar shape. Then I would have no issues with fitment. I am a little partial to the 68 Plymouth B-Bodies though...

I have kept mine a Sport Satellite. Funny though, there are times it would be easier and sexier to say "it's a Road Runner or GTX" when people ask what it is. I do get a kick out of peoples response of Huh? when I tell them it's a Big Block Sport Satellite, you know a Belvedere. If they don't know the difference they are not really car people and don't really care if it is a Road Runner or GTX because they are just faking interest anyway. just my two cents.

Auto Transport Service
Back