• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Semi-Retirement Jobs

I plan to go back to doing my speedshop fulltime, well, when I feel like it. It's in my backyard, dyno, 5 racks, engine room, etc, etc. I'll have to do something as I will not have much retirement income. Feeling like I'll buy and sell cars some, fix them, save them, etc and make a bit of cash as well. I really don't want to work for someone else, unless it would be as a contractor for my former employer. A couple guys that retired are doing legal inspections on an as needed basis and making $$$$.
But all this is if I even live to see retirement. Until it actually happens, it's just a pipe dream. Still got 8 years left.

Become a chemist :D

670f72_dea22688660d437e8586c468eb51dd7f~mv2.jpg

My dad did that when he sold his Construction company,
after I graduated HS 77'..
He sold everything his ranch & his Construction Co.
& moved with my bitch stepmother, my 2 brothers & 2 sisters
that live with him still, some 300+ miles north to Yreka...
Where she dumped his ***, for her old HS sweetheart a couple of years later,
after he put her through paid for her college, to get her psyc. degree...

Then he sold his livelihood, for her benefit
moved for her career, for her to be a school Psychologist...
He raised her kids, my 2 younger brothers graduated up there...
The 2 girls left with her...

He couldn't get any other jobs up there, there weren't any
other than a bartender or a liquor store clerk, type ****
So he;
Drove school bus for 2 years (no pension, **** hourly pay)
then moved back down here, after she dumped his ***...

He still drove a school bus for Tuolumne Co. schools
Old habits die hard, for 20 years from 1980-2000 Ca, P.S.E.A. Union...
His pension sucks ***, the pay sucked *** too
getting up at 4 am putting on chains, all winter sucked ***
& driving until all hrs of the night in inclement weather conditions sucked ***...

He also had to work the fires (on-call always, sucked ***),
work in the heat no A/C, driving everywhere, worked in the summer too,
or in the freezing *** cold, snowing like crazy, ice everywhere,
taking off & putting back on chains (in the worst condition, sucked ***)
you name it...

Not to mention HS student's issues/problems... :poke:

But now he claims that he liked it...
Has a crapload of stories about driving a bus, tons of people
I meet up here, he'll say "she or he used to ride his bus",
a lot of people about 50-ish now...
(I remember talking to him on the phone, hearing a lot of complaining,
bitching/moaning about the job
)
He did a lot of sports travel, mostly girls' sports teams,
was always home late, always gone somewhere...
He also worked in the high school's maintenance dept. (in the summers)
or security at sports events, during the school year, for some extra $$$...

It wasn't an easy life, that he could have had...
If he had just maintained a Contractor license, do work he knew well, great pay...

Was a damn good thing he had a good investment portfolio already
because he would NOT have one otherwise...
sorry to hear that , sounds like ur dad had a ruff ride ….

I plan to go back to doing my speedshop fulltime, well, when I feel like it. It's in my backyard, dyno, 5 racks, engine room, etc, etc. I'll have to do something as I will not have much retirement income. Feeling like I'll buy and sell cars some, fix them, save them, etc and make a bit of cash as well. I really don't want to work for someone else, unless it would be as a contractor for my former employer. A couple guys that retired are doing legal inspections on an as needed basis and making $$$$.
But all this is if I even live to see retirement. Until it actually happens, it's just a pipe dream. Still got 8 years left.
8 years will go fast ! seems like the years fly by as ya get older… hang on and get ready …

Even though I have 45 years until I can retire, I was thinking about working part time at Victoria’s Secret.
I had a contract job to upgrade registers and server racks in multiple store locations at VS. The place gets kinda creepy after awhile. And my old joke of saying after one of their young girls would ask "Are you here to fix our registers?"

"No, I'm the new fashion model. There has been a budget cut."

(I thought it was funny.)

When I was in college (during summers) and actually just before - I worked delivering auto body supplies from a distributor to body shops. A good gig for body or automotive supplies. That’s a cake job. You generally don’t go far and drop and run. Usually the same runs each day.

There is another member on here @Sahara that used to work at a women’s shoe store fitting and looking up skirts as part of the job. Does it get any better than that…. Who needs to get paid for that kind of “work”?

If I lived near a big city - I always thought of my retirement gig to be a shuttle driver from hotel to airport and return. They have a gravy job (other than dealing with crazy airport traffic) and should do pretty good in tips. Figure I tip at least 5 bucks, sometimes 10. Do a few trips an hour like that and you have a good 30 to 40 bucks in tips (cash) to claim later on your taxes of course ;)

I suppose there is some slow times and down times, but eh....

If I lived near a big city - I always thought of my retirement gig to be a shuttle driver from hotel to airport and return. They have a gravy job (other than dealing with crazy airport traffic) and should do pretty good in tips. Figure I tip at least 5 bucks, sometimes 10. Do a few trips an hour like that and you have a good 30 to 40 bucks in tips (cash) to claim later on your taxes of course ;)

I suppose there is some slow times and down times, but eh....
I considered this, also, but Uber has taken away much of the shuttle business. The two airport shuttle services in Tucson have ceased operations. The Tucson Phoenix shuttle services are still around, but I'm not sure I want 5 hours of round trip driving on an interstate (I10) that has a fatal accident at least once every 24 hours.

I considered this, also, but Uber has taken away much of the shuttle business. The two airport shuttle services in Tucson have ceased operations. The Tucson Phoenix shuttle services are still around, but I'm not sure I want 5 hours of round trip driving on an interstate (I10) that has a fatal accident at least once every 24 hours.

Yeah I defintly wouldnt want one of those commuter type shuttles - where you pick them up at a park and ride, and drive an hour or so. Would make the same in tips if ya drove them 10 minutes.

Never thought of Uber taking some of that away - I know for a while in Minneapolis airport Uber wasnt approved to enter the shuttle areas. That was a few years ago maybe it changed....

Airport still has the shuttle buses Moving people from parking lots to terminal.
1st and 2nd shift is two buses full time. 3rd is a single bus for over nite

I've been asked to join the crew. But 1st timers are 2nd or 3rd shift. , Pass

Some of the local resorts in the area still offer shuttle buses to the airport as well

Great Q and A read. I guess the need to hire school bus drivers is universal.

I retired almost 5 years ago and got multiple offers to work elsewhere, but I put them all on hold wanting to dedicate some time to moving away from Shitopolis and to just take a break. I honestly did think that I might go back to work, but about 1 year of NOT working changed that. So I guess my feedback is: If you can swing it, don't take NOT working off the table.

I retired this past Sept. At 65 I am restricted to earning aprox 27k for the next year.
I have really enjoyed the time off, catching up on projects ect.
I have a foot surgery coming up the 1st part of March with a 6 to 8 week recovery time.
But to be honest I am bored now and ready to at least work part time. I will wait until after the bone graft heals up.
So in May I will go part time some place.
I have a couple offers that will fall into that time frame. The one I think will be the best is 24 to 30 hrs night shift janitor at our local high school.

One of the last things I'd ever want to do in retirement is clean up after hundreds of messy kids.

I mean, to each their own, but no f'n thanks.

I'll never be that bored.

One of the last things I'd ever want to do in retirement is clean up after hundreds of messy kids.

I mean, to each their own, but no f'n thanks.

I'll never be that bored.
When I was still driving a truck, I carried every endorsement on my CDL except passenger. When I was a kid, the school bus drivers carried a "board of education" clipped next to the fire extinguisher, and used it to maintain order. After cultural changes in the late 60s, the paddles went away. My bus route covered the wrong side of the tracks. About the time I got my driver's license, a few of my fellow riders decided it would be a good idea to cut the upholstery apart on the back seat. They then set it on fire, and told the bus driver he was next if he made any trouble. He never uttered a peep. I can imagine the explaining he had to do when he got the bus back to the terminal.

Not surprisingly, that crew ended up in prison within a few years. I tell that story whenever someone asks me if I've considered driving a school bus now that I'm retired. No, thanks.

We still got "whacked" when I was in middle school in 1980/81.
After being asked if we "bruised easily".

However, we were hellions on the HS bus- Cranking rock and metal on a pretty loud boom box, we actually called them JAM boxes.
I didn't hear the term "boom box" until the very late 80's. We routinely drank and smoked pot, too. That crowd was from the rear wheels back.
The driver seemed not to care, and the other kids rarely said anything either.

One day, in the snow, the driver couldn't make it around a Y intersection curve because a car was parked in a bad spot.
The car belonged to a kid most of us knew, and he was being an *** to the bus driver , who got out and asked him to move.
The kid mouthed off pretty bad and the bus driver slapped him.
The kid's parents tried to get the driver wrote up, but all of us in the back of the bus said, we thought he slipped on the ice and must have been an accident.

Last edited:
Hey guys, looking to cut back on my work hours and looking for some ideas of new jobs to apply to.

I'd like to work full time Mon-Thurs 8:30am-5pm but have Fri-Sun off. No weekends or holidays.

Anyone know or have a job that fits what I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance!
You could try baiting hooks?
You may have to start out as an apprentice baiter but can work your way up to master in no time!
:rolleyes:

I'm looking at Lowe's as that might be a good place to work.

Auto Transport Service
Back