• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sender Sock Help

Road Grabber

Local time
4:34 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation for a sender sock replacement ? Do they just pull off?

Is it better to just clean what I have? If so with what?

Thank you

Yes they pull off. if it’s in good shape you can clean it with compressed air……soap and water etc.

You can try a solvent like lacquer thinner or acetone. Rinse it off fairly quickly. I like to start with mild cleaners first and if they don’t work , move up to the tougher cleaners….like solvents

The plastic turns brown with age, have NOS ones brownish.

I bought the fine mesh style for my sending unit, and did away with the plastic screen. I was only a couple bucks more, I got my stuff at Mancini Racing

How easy was it to install?

How did the old one come off?

Thanks
My old one was so brittle it just broke right off. The mesh sock slides right on, it’s tight and stays in place, and it is flatted at the end, so it sits parallel with the bottom of the tank. A very easy swap. I rebuilt my sending unit myself, and bought a new brass float as well, the new Vans unit I bought to use while I was rebuilding the original one barely read at all, even when the tank was full.

My old one was so brittle it just broke right off. The mesh sock slides right on, it’s tight and stays in place, and it is flatted at the end, so it sits parallel with the bottom of the tank. A very easy swap. I rebuilt my sending unit myself, and bought a new brass float as well, the new Vans unit I bought to use while I was rebuilding the original one barely read at all, even when the tank was full.

Thanks for that intel. I have heard that replacement sending units are a problem and that to have your unit rebuilt instead of reproduction.

How did you rebuild your unit? I know the covers come off and I could look inside to see if there is good contact. My unit worked except it didn’t show full on the gauge.

I was thinking about replacing the barrel too. My original sock isn’t brittle so I was considering using it still.

Thanks for that intel. I have heard that replacement sending units are a problem and that to have your unit rebuilt instead of reproduction.

How did you rebuild your unit? I know the covers come off and I could look inside to see if there is good contact. My unit worked except it didn’t show full on the gauge.

I was thinking about replacing the barrel too. My original sock isn’t brittle so I was considering using it still.
I took it all apart, cleaned every bit of it, cleaned the sweep board and the contact inside the cover, OHM’d it to make sure it was reading correctly, then put it all back together with the new sock and float, and it was ready to go. Took about 15 minutes to change them out in place.

Auto Transport Service
Back