• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seriously, poll to see if you are a avid racer or once in awhile racer ***POLL****

How many times a year do you DRAG Race

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SUPERSTOCKRACER

Local time
6:28 AM
Reaction score
Just curious to see who on here DRAG races much or just once in awhile like 1 or 3 times a year. Then there's guys on here who hit the track at least 3 or 4 times a month or more.
There seems to be the same 4 guys on here posting about their racing which I find is very cool and others just read and don't respond about their cars which I thought forums are for.

For me once my car is done as often as I can he out. Unfortunately there is only one 1/4 mile track close the other is 4 hrs away. The track by me has street legal once a month but is open onother weekends as well. To bad Pomona is shut down for races besides twice a year when the pros are out. Another reason why I want out of socal.

Mine's built for the street. If I had the extra money, I'd build a car just for the track since there is one about 1 hour away.

Just curious to see who on here DRAG races much or just once in awhile like 1 or 3 times a year. Then there's guys on here who hit the track at least 3 or 4 times a month or more.
There seems to be the same 4 guys on here posting about their racing which I find is very cool and others just read and don't respond about their cars which I thought forums are for.

I agree,
unfortunately I haven't gone to the track & raced at all in about 2 years now,
I still love the sport, I still keep up with it, I raced since 1974, in some aspect or other,
but now time is a problem & money is tight right now, my cars not done either,
in years gone by, it would have been finished a long time ago...

such is life

I used to get to the track maybe 3 or 4 times a year. Now that I have been introducedto bad influences, its all the time now.

- - - Updated - - -

My name is Bob and I have a problem.

My self I use to drag race all the time . But in lower PA it is a Dirt tract state ! It's still racing in my book and at 53 I am happy with 8 champion ships and A TON of throghys ! ( think I spelled that rite ? LOL)
Anyway If ya can't race it or take it to bed it ain't worth playing with !!
If South mountain opens up again I am thinking of putting a car together to play there as it's close to me !

I used to get to the track maybe 3 or 4 times a year. Now that I have been introducedto bad influences, its all the time now.

- - - Updated - - -

My name is Bob and I have a problem.

Who did it to you Bobtile? i'll have a talk to him.:icon_lol:

- - - Updated - - -

My self I use to drag race all the time . But in lower PA it is a Dirt tract state ! It's still racing in my book and at 53 I am happy with 8 champion ships and A TON of throghys ! ( think I spelled that rite ? LOL)
Anyway If ya can't race it or take it to bed it ain't worth playing with !!
If South mountain opens up again I am thinking of putting a car together to play there as it's close to me !

South Mountain is open now I see and it looks nice.

Cool KID ! You and I could do the South mountain deal ! it's rite up the road from us .

I use to live 10 miles from the track, it was allot more convenient & easier back then...

now I'm 100 miles from the closest track...

I use to live 10 miles from the track, it was allot more convenient & easier back then...

now I'm 100 miles from the closest track...

i'm just about 100 miles too to both island dragway and Lebanon valley and at $4.25 a gallon for diesel and 8.8-9.0 MPG I'm right around $100.00 round trip

As soon as I sell my Micro sprint I will put a car together ! Looking at some rollers now. with my work load and funds a small time drag car will fit the bill !

Cool KID ! You and I could do the South mountain deal ! it's rite up the road from us .

I would definitely do South Mt. I really like Mason Dixon in Hagerstown too.

I guess we need to double team these rides to get them ready!

"Winter" is more my racing season here in SoCal. So I try to go a few times from January through May and then a few times from October to December. I'd go more if I could but I'm pretty busy with three kids these days.

If I could afford to put a dedicated drag car together, I'd be there all the time. So I guess money is the biggest factor.

First time to make a pass was in late 69 or early 71. Hell, too far back to remember exactly when lol. Had a 66 Belvedere with the poly teen and was my only car and made lots of passes with it then once a 383 got dropped into it, was there whenever the track was open....then Uncle Sam got me in early 71. Fast forward to the mid 70's and was back at it with my street cars then started helping a buddy with a high 11 second dedicated drag car which we got into the 10's with and started running Super Street (with a 4 speed no less) in the early 80's until I got my own dedicated car in early 84 and was at the track at least twice a week! Hurt the motor at the last race of the season (damn it), then my marriage was falling apart and wasn't racing my junk anymore but was helping other guys race theirs. Finally got another car a few years later and in the 9's this time but life got in the way and ended up selling that one too without putting very many passes on it so I just started running my slow *** /6 Belvedere. Got it real consistent and cut good lights but people got to where they hated to see me in it lol plus I was bored going that slow after about 8 times out with it but the night it went 7 rounds for the win was pretty cool. It's always cool to win no matter how slow ya are. Got to thinking about it awhile back and I can only remember one time that I was a first round loser and that was in a buddies tow vehicle (a 77 Cordoba iirc) that cut super bad lights so I left on the 2nd to the last yellow in the 1st round (only got to make 2 TT's with it) and red eyed by .001! Yeah, sometimes I brag lol. Sure I miss it but don't miss sitting in 95 degree weather in the lanes in the late Texas afternoons. Hell, I'm clocking 97 right now. The older you get, the worse it feels. The near by track opened up around 4 and started time trials at 6 but it's still pretty hot here in the summer at that time. Not sure yet if I'll ever go back to racing again....high heat plus the expense....who knows.

My closest track, Milan is 115 miles round trip. $40 fuel, not to bad. Norwalk, 131, Mid Michigan, Grand Bend Canada all about 280 miles round trip, about $95. Add in $100-$150 entry for a weekend and $50-$100 in race fuel. You get $200-$350 for a weekend race that's at my closest tracks. I finance my racing on side work. So far I've been lucky and the car itself has used up less than $1500 in 2 years of racing in maintenance and broken parts. I know engine freshen up and new tires are coming soon. My goal is to get out 8-12 times a year. Fortunately even with a limited schedule I've been able to win a couple, R/U, and a few 1/4 finals. The winnings help offset the cost. I know if I ran a slower car I could run more. I feel pretty fortunate that I'm able to run a car this quick on a shoe string budget.
Doug

Closest track is about 20 miles but I hate the place. Ya never know if it's going to be prepped right or if moisture is going to weep up through the surface. It was built on an old rice field and is close to Galveston Bay so evening dew can also set in easily. It's one of the fastest tracks in the nation but mainly for National events. Another track that's maybe 25 or so miles is pretty cool with 110v outlets in the pits but it's an 1/8 mile track with a very short shut off and it's in the trees so getting a breeze is slim to none. Another track is around 50 miles out and track prep isn't in their vocabulary.

Got out of it too many rules and gave up the street games and just have a Sunday driver in parts slowly going together.... what took weeks now takes months or years.... compared to the old days... you shouldn't need a sponsor to run the street... it sucks being squeezed out.

I race when ever I can ! Stop light to stop light or on the track as long as a Mopar is stomping a mud hole in something I could care less !! Ask my nebhior he talked a lot of smack till the the 70' duster put him in his place and walked all over his vet !! :headbang:

Auto Transport Service
Back