• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seriously, poll to see if you are a avid racer or once in awhile racer ***POLL****

How many times a year do you DRAG Race

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I use to take 3 cars to the strip weekly
Built my place 3 miles from Woodburn drag strip.
A couple of years ago I had my back fused.
Now I just run my 74 Street car.

My dart still races.
I had to get a driver to drive for me because of sponsorship commitments.
THX Erik.
Last time out he went 3 rounds in Super Pro red lit .001 in the 4th round.
Packages were .016,.022,.014
download_zpsd0813d72.jpg

Street car go's 10.30's
Pic of car is when it use to go 12,20's
IMGP0501.jpg

Closest track is about 20 miles but I hate the place. Ya never know if it's going to be prepped right or if moisture is going to weep up through the surface. It was built on an old rice field and is close to Galveston Bay so evening dew can also set in easily. It's one of the fastest tracks in the nation but mainly for National events. Another track that's maybe 25 or so miles is pretty cool with 110v outlets in the pits but it's an 1/8 mile track with a very short shut off and it's in the trees so getting a breeze is slim to none. Another track is around 50 miles out and track prep isn't in their vocabulary.

Dude...3 tracks within a 50 mile radius you are one lucky guy.

I wish I had 3 tracks with in 50 miles, let alone 20 miles & another 25 miles away...

My closest is over 100+ miles 2hrs away Sacramento Raceway kind of small time stuff, track is iffy at times, but run relatively well, A couple points races a year, no really big races, the typical Governors Cup brackets races & a bought in show, the Fox Hunt ladies get in free race, always interesting to attend, the Night of Fire with stinky a$$ Jet Cars & a few slower Fuel cars & Funny cars, sometimes Fuel altered too, mostly Local Blown door-slammers, Top Sportsman, N20, Pro-Gas/Pro-Mod type guys, they pretty much cater to the door-slammers & super series bracket classes, Saturday test & tunes {I was a regular there}, never even have to get on a freeway to get there...

Sears Point/Infinion about 200 miles 3.5hrs away, well run & good track most the time, weekly brackets, they have NHRA national events & a bunch of points stuff too, not too hard to get to, allot of freeway miles, if traffic isn't like the normal bumper to bumper Bay Area crap...

Famoso/Bakersfield about 200+ miles easily 4+hrs away also, NHRA March Meet & NHRA Hot Rod Reunion, Nostalgia or points races & brackets, usually pretty well run weekly brackets & a great track surface, not too hard to get to either, allot of back roads, then south on I-5 or hwy-99 for miles...

I pretty much have to drive 70 miles, 1-2hrs, before I'm anywhere near a Freeway/Interstate Hwy even now, it's a royal pain in the freaken' a$$, to travel elsewhere, to say the least now, but well worth it, because it's really nice to live away from all the big shitty crazies...LOL...

I use to live less than 10 miles from Sacramento Raceway when I lived in Rancho Murieta...

When I lived in San Jose area, I was about 10 miles from the old Baylands/Freemont Raceway...

When I lived in Concord, it was about 35-45 minutes to Sears Point, about an hr or so to Sac. & about an hr or so to Baylands...

When I lived in Palmer Alaska, the Polar Raceway/track was almost literally out my back door, never even had to use a trailer, probably legally should thou...

I guess I got use to being spoiled, having tracks all around me...LOL...

i had to look in my log book...last year i put 119 passes on the car..i was lucky enough to get to three semi finals (went red 2 times..and took to much stripe the 3rd time and broke out.)...so far this year i have put 39 passes on it...with one semi final...i had early spring issues with the engine that set me back. i suppose i'll still get around 100 passes this year again.
AlanCox.jpg

Last edited:
I've made about fifteen passes this year, most running street 'n strip(in the mopar). A few more in the Vette. My goal is to run a entire points series. Took the '66 Belvedere II off the road early summer for bodywork and paint. Finally just weeks away from finished. Hope to have it reassembled for Mopar Madness at Dinwiddie. Richmond Dragway is closer at about a 1hr drive. Run there whenever I can, an average of 5 times a year.

I like to get out once or twice a year. Have been doing nostalgia drag racing. Right now I have a stock 400, but I am working on an aluminum 500 stroker for next year.

I like to get out once or twice a year. Have been doing nostalgia drag racing. Right now I have a stock 400, but I am working on an aluminum 500 stroker for next year.

Now we need to see that 500ci Aluminum stroker, you can't throw a tease like that out there...LOL
& then not share it, if you can anyway...

good luck

I used to race alot back in the late 70's and early 80's with my 4-speed 340 Dart. That was before I was married for 25 years and had kids. Now after a divorce and health problems I have only got to the track once each year the past two years. My car is a street car as I like driving it on weekends even if I cant afford to race alot. I would love to build a full time race car if my health and budget would let me but I am glad to have a street car I can drive to the track atleast once a year and maybe a few more times a year in the future as I enjoy running in the NSS class I raced in the last two times at the track. Ron

388822542.jpg

I used to race alot back in the late 70's and early 80's with my 4-speed 340 Dart. That was before I was married for 25 years and had kids. Now after a divorce and health problems I have only got to the track once each year the past two years. My car is a street car as I like driving it on weekends even if I cant afford to race alot. I would love to build a full time race car if my health and budget would let me but I am glad to have a street car I can drive to the track atleast once a year and maybe a few more times a year in the future as I enjoy running in the NSS class I raced in the last two times at the track. Ron

388822542.jpg

Ron, Maybe should should try and get a desk job As then you would have money to race. Just a thought.
But then you probably would lose your disability check. Am I correct?

I'd go out of my mind just sitting home and not working As it keeps me active. My back hurts all the time and shoulders from lifting heavy aquariums all the time but I get out there, every day.

I've been battling spending issues now and with fixed income and with a family it is trying to say the least.
I've been trying to finish my car now for a few years and finally it is getting close.
Working overtime really helps fund my addiction but family always comes first and I sort of lost that trying to get my car done.
Sorry for the rant.

Ron, Maybe should should try and get a desk job As then you would have money to race. Just a thought.
But then you probably would lose your disability check. Am I correct?

I'd go out of my mind just sitting home and not working As it keeps me active. My back hurts all the time and shoulders from lifting heavy aquariums all the time but I get out there, every day.

Believe me I wish I could. I dont enjoy sitting at the computer to long as if I dont have the pain meds in me I dont sit at the computer. I actually have more problems then just a very bad back and very bad knees. Believe me I was the type of guy who never missed work until I was about 52 when I really started having problems. Heck a few times I had a tooth or two pulled on my lunch hr and went back to work as I had to be dieing to miss work. Its hard to explain but they say I also have Fibromylagai as I think thats how its spelled where it makes your joints hurt real bad. I mean my elbows lock up alot at night and my ankles hurt real bad. Its tuff to understand unless you have it as I would not understand it either until one day when I hurt so bad I realized there is no way I can go to work like this. But honestly I live on pain meds and antiflamitories. I actually thought when I stopped working as a tech I would feel better but not so. Some days are good when I take the meds and I look fine and other days are much worse. Its actually like a miracle to me that I dont have to force myself up most days. I wish I had a better solution but I make the best of it and enjoy life the best I can. I do love this hobby and force myself to take my car out on some weekend cruises that are local and very close. Ron

I am actually interested in the NENDRA outfit. When the 67 Coronet is back together I would like to join and make a run now and then. I have no idea where the nearest track /strip is from my hovel in the boonies but I'm sure I can find out.

- - - Updated - - -

Ron, I feel for you buddy, IBUPROFEN is my closest friend. 600 mg at a shot 2 or 3 times a day. I got beat up pretty good in Iraq and that stuff comes back to haunt me after 4 years later. You can only crash in so many choppers before sh*t starts hurting full time. LOL.

I am actually interested in the NENDRA outfit. When the 67 Coronet is back together I would like to join and make a run now and then. I have no idea where the nearest track /strip is from my hovel in the boonies but I'm sure I can find out.

- - - Updated - - -

New England Dragway in New hampshire is one track and the other is Lebanon valley in upstate NY near Albany.
Hope to hear from you soon.
When do you think you'll be ready?

IMG_0281.jpg
Just curious to see who on here DRAG races much or just once in awhile like 1 or 3 times a year. Then there's guys on here who hit the track at least 3 or 4 times a month or more.
There seems to be the same 4 guys on here posting about their racing which I find is very cool and others just read and don't respond about their cars which I thought forums are for.

Right now I am just a wanna be.I have never been on a drag strip.Just a spectator. I have always wanted to drag race but for the last eight years I have been building the car. I got it running in june and have had a lot of problems.This is my first build so there were a lot of things that I had to figure out and learn. I tried to race it in pueblo on halloween but the carb failed.But I have worked out most of the bugs and problems.I just posted my second dyno session and the car is dialed in. So when it gets a little warmer here I am hoping to go to bandimere and do some racing.The only mistake I made is I did not put a roll cage in or battery shut off and the car makes over 800 hp so I think I am going to run to fast for how the car is set up.I am excited to try it out that's for sure!!

Right now I am just a wanna be.I have never been on a drag strip.Just a spectator. I have always wanted to drag race but for the last eight years I have been building the car. I got it running in june and have had a lot of problems.This is my first build so there were a lot of things that I had to figure out and learn. I tried to race it in pueblo on halloween but the carb failed.But I have worked out most of the bugs and problems.I just posted my second dyno session and the car is dialed in. So when it gets a little warmer here I am hoping to go to bandimere and do some racing.The only mistake I made is I did not put a roll cage in or battery shut off and the car makes over 800 hp so I think I am going to run to fast for how the car is set up.I am excited to try it out that's for sure!!

I don't remember what you chassis or suspension set-up is, I do remember,
Your making really great power especially at altitude,
the next issue if your going to drag race it, will it actually even hook,
with your current chassis or suspension set-up & tires...

Having a ton of power is great, many will only dream of the HP your currently putting out
BUT in drag racing, it's being able to put it down to the rack, 1st & foremost {obviously safely also}

I've seen cars with less power, out run big HP cars, because the cars complete combo works very well &
is set-up for the type of racing & the conditions,
the 1st 60ft-330ft on a dragstrip, is where most of your et improvements will be had,
past 660ft it's all about HP/MPH,
if it's slower in those areas in the 1st 60ft-330ft {even upto 660ft 1/8th mile}
then the cars chassis suspension & tires, are not working like it should be...

I wish you all the best of luck, have fun
good luck getting it to hook, make a great pass or 10...LOL
I hope it runs like you expect...

Having a ton of power is great, many will only dream of the HP your currently putting out
BUT in drag racing, it's being able to put it down to the rack, 1st & foremost {obviously safely also}

I've seen cars with less power, out run big HP cars, because the cars complete combo works very well &
the 1st 60ft-330ft on a dragstrip, is where most of your et improvements will be had,
if it's slower in those areas in the 1st 60ft-330ft {even upto 660ft 1/8th mile}

Thanks Budnicks. I guess you were referring to me beating Superstockracer all the time.

DSC01757.jpg

Thanks Budnicks, I have a Martz chassis 4 link in the back and the mart chassis front suspension.Front and rear sway bars
I have done all the frame bracing and moved everything I could to the trunk.It is mini tubbed with 12" wide nitto tires.Believe it or not it hooks really well(as far as I know i haven't had it to the track yet just on the street) I spent a lot of time on getting everything to work together. where I fell short was I don't know any rules for drag racing or road racing.I just wanted to build a fast charger.
I have a tremec five speed in it.I am hoping not to be one of those guys that has a fast car that can't do crap with it.I just joined the forum and looking forward to advice.I posted a pic of the 4-link when installed it. Thanks Joe

Average Joe,
she looks pretty damn good, well rounded type build...

thanks for sharing

I look forward to seeing what she runs @ Bandimere,

make sure to take photos & videos,
to share if you can

good luck, Happy Moparing

i had to look in my log book...last year i put 119 passes on the car..i was lucky enough to get to three semi finals (went red 2 times..and took to much stripe the 3rd time and broke out.)...so far this year i have put 39 passes on it...with one semi final...i had early spring issues with the engine that set me back. i suppose i'll still get around 100 passes this year again.
View attachment 204265

RacerAl, just want to let you know I love your car!

Auto Transport Service
Back