• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Setting timing with rusted harmonic balancer

john.thompson068

Local time
10:58 PM
Reaction score
I have a perfectly fine engine but the harmonic balancer is so rusted the original timing marks cannot be seen on the balancer. I have been using what I believe is the correct mark which I drew over with a permanent marker, but now I am doubting that it is correct. The motor is exhibiting problems which may be caused by incorrect timing. I need to make sure I have an accurate way to set timing.

Can I buy the cheap little tool to find TDC, and then make a new mark on the balancer exactly in line with the hole in the timing tab if the mark I am using is off? Will this allow me to set the motor to zero degrees initial timing?

Then I can advance as necessary to fire up the motor and set to about 12* initial timing.

Timing

Use a vacuum Gage. Hook it up to where the vac advance hose is hooked. Advance timing until you get max vacuum and then back it off a bit. This will get you darn close to proper timing. Might have to play with it a little.

"Can I buy the cheap little tool to find TDC, and then make a new mark on the balancer exactly in line with the hole in the timing tab if the mark I am using is off? Will this allow me to set the motor to zero degrees initial timing ?"

Yes. In fact, that's a much better method than assuming the stock mark on the balancer is correct. The balancer is made of two pieces, seperated by a rubber ring. Over time, the rubber degrades and the outer ring can shift, rendering the timing mark incorrect.

Use a vacuum Gage. Hook it up to where the vac advance hose is hooked. Advance timing until you get max vacuum and then back it off a bit. This will get you darn close to proper timing. Might have to play with it a little.

Wow I wish it could be that easy. I don't have the vacuum advance hose. Looks like I better make sure I am setting the timing correctly. So, when the #1 piston is at TDC, I should make the mark line up with the hole in the timing tab? Then set timing as normal? That's pretty easy too.

Must be on TDC firing (compression). Pull the distributor cap and turn the engine until the rotor points to #1 plug.

The zero mark is usually a deep square cut groove in the balancer so kind of hard to miss or get wiped out by rust.

Must be on TDC firing (compression). Pull the distributor cap and turn the engine until the rotor points to #1 plug.

The zero mark is usually a deep square cut groove in the balancer so kind of hard to miss or get wiped out by rust.

Okay, I will be sure to look very carefully for that mark as I bump the motor over.

Auto Transport Service
Back