• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

She's a keeper! 72 Plymouth

Magnes

Local time
7:09 PM
Reaction score
I posted some of this in the 71-74 forum but this is probably a more appropriate place to do updates on my work so forgive me if any of you have already seen some of this before... Anyway, on to the story.

Last year I bought a 72 Satellite Sebring Plus and built that car to keep so I turned it into a Road Runner "clone" to suit my taste. Once I finished it, I went ahead and listed it for sale just to see what kind of offers I would get. A dude from Switzerland made a real good offer so I went ahead and sold it.

Before (taken around July 2013) and After (January 2014)

25ahhzm.jpg
10i6sjk.jpg

After I sold that one, I was kicking myself in the butt a bit and decided to just build another.

I really wanted to build one of these cars to keep for myself so as soon as that car sold I began searching again. I found my current project on craigslist in Texarkana, TX in April 2014. We shot out there, showed up early for the appointment, and scooped it up quick before the other people who were coming to look at it had a chance to buy it. Another guy showed up there before we even had a chance to load it and I was offered more than I paid for it but I had to pass. We drug it back home and I was a happy man...

This is how I found it. Had been sitting here since '97. A 1972 Satellite Sebring Plus. 80K miles. 318/904 car. All complete and mostly untouched. A few rusty spots but NOTHING like what you typically find with these cars. Sitting inside had really helped preserve it. White and black deluxe bucket interior with console. The dash wasn't even cracked on it. Was sitting on 3 flats but still had all the original road wheels and trim rings (including the spare).

fnbyms.jpg

29e3oup.jpg

zogl76.jpg

b9htup.jpg

24box3m.jpg

We towed it home to Mississippi.

xfwbuq.jpg

We got it home and with the help of my neighbors, I was able to get it off the trailer and into the garage. I started off by cleaning it up.

atn72x.jpg

2j3of88.jpg

s4m4cw.jpg

The majority of the paint came back to life. The thing is, it was thin. The vinyl roof was trashed and there was rust damage under that. Had a few dents. A lot of very small dings. There was some rust damage in front of the rear wheels. And there were a few areas where the paint had been blended in during repairs and that paint just wasn't holding up as well as the original paint.

2qwg7dl.jpg

200wpcl.jpg

o91en6.jpg

The interior was really in good shape with the exception of the carpet (which was just old) and the driver's seat (which was REALLY tired, torn, and worn).

After I had the car cleaned up I got to work on the mechanics to get it to run. I went through all the regular stuff that you have to do after a car sits for 20 years. Afterwards, all it took was a shot of starting fluid and the car smoked to life. It ran good but smoked for a while and that smoothed out for the most part.

After getting it to run, I went to work on the brakes (which were froze up). I had to rebuild the whole brake system and then I bought it some new tires in the stock size. At this point, a month after buying it, I drove the car out of the garage...

The wife had been bugging me for a convertible so about this time I bought her a 77 Ramcharger and spent about 6 weeks building that for her. As soon as I was done with the Ramcharger we had to relocate to Texas.

5d840y.jpg

It took another month to get settled in and get the garage set back up. As soon as that was done, I got back to work on this 72.

I stripped out the interior and glass and then I cut out all the rust. Cut out replacement panels from my green 72 Sat Sebring parts car and welded all that in place on the red car. At this point I was fired up and started busting *** on the bodywork...

wcg7tc.jpg

16i5ypu.jpg

16itnj5.jpg

1z3t6jo.jpg

23su2w9.jpg

2z5mycm.jpg

2dub37s.jpg

2urnjfn.jpg

I went through a lot of 2k Buildable primer. Lots of time on the sanding blocks. After a great many hours, I felt it was ready for paint. I went with a urethane basecoat / clearcoat. I shot the door jambs, inside the trunk lid, and some of the engine compartment areas (underside of hood, tops of the fenders, cowl) on one day and then painted the car the next day, all in my garage using my Devilbiss HVLP guns and a 2 stage 60 gallon tank. I shoot all the cars I fix myself at home during the weekdays to minimize any possibility of complaints.

I shot it 2013 Dodge Header Orange, the same color available for the Challengers and other 2012-13 Dodges.

5n8bht.jpg

nyitxs.jpg

29wsqa1.jpg

It laid out pretty flat but I did get a little dust in it as is to be expected when you paint in an open environment.

33vf5o2.jpg

Several days later.

xahpd.jpg

10qjpkz.jpg

Then I colorsanded and buffed it out. Like glass.

5uigic.jpg

Time to start putting it back together (this was around the middle of October 2014)

21b7yfd.jpg

That is the newly released AMD front bumper.

qrb62r.jpg

I did so much stuff during this time... So many new parts. All the chrome with the exception of the rear bumper. All new weatherstripping everywhere. All the emblems and decals. Adjusted everything. Installed a reflective white strobe stripe. Repaired and repainted the grill. Repaired and repainted the tail light lenses. Repaired electrical issues. Replaced every bulb in the car and cleaned all those connections and more.

Anyway, this is more of a "Cliff's Notes" version of what I've done so far so I won't bore you with tedious details...

Today the wheels and tires showed up.

2af05r9.jpg

American Racing Torque Thrust 2's. 17x7 fronts with 0 offset and 17x8 rears with -11 offset. BFG tires, 245/40/17 fronts 275/40/17 rears.

mh3hhj.jpg

1zchnh0.jpg

And that's it as of today, Oct. 28, 2014.

I've got a 440 being built for the car right now and a 727 trans. That should be going in it in a few weeks at the most. While my buddy's shop is installing the engine, I will be restoring the interior parts.

Anyway, there are more details but this has to be the longest post ever. I just wanted to post what I am working on right now. I appreciate this site and the helpful people here. I will add more details later and keep this updated.

Last edited:
Nice work, it really looks sharp. I like the hood scoop, it isn't too much.
I'll bet there are some people in Switzerland eyeballing your newest build too. :)

That is a really nice build and an awesome story - a very well put together restoration report. :headbang:

Nice choice in colors... I went with the grey centered wheels in 17x8 & 17X9 but all in all, a great setup.

Attachments

• DSC04534.jpg
    DSC04534.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,042
Thank you very much. It was nice to read the comments.

There's still a lot of work left to do but it won't take long.

Magnes, that is friggin beautiful!! How did your compressor handle painting? Just asking because I have the same one.

Magnes, that is friggin beautiful!! How did your compressor handle painting? Just asking because I have the same one.

That compressor works just great. It's an Ingersoll Rand SS3. I've painted about 6 cars with this one and I am very happy with it. As long as you maintain it properly by replacing the air filter frequently, making sure it has oil, and most importantly... Drain it daily. I actually switched out the drain valve on the bottom so it's easier to drain.

When I paint or prime, I run 100 foot of hose out of the air compressor's regulator (which is set at like 100 lbs) to a moisture catcher (the 100 foot of line allows the water vapor to condense back into droplets that are easily caught by the water catcher), then I run another 50 foot of hose from the main moisture catcher to another small in line moisture catcher that is hooked up right below the regulator that is on my gun. At the gun I regulate the pressure down to 30 pounds, because I use Devilbiss Starting Line HVLP guns.

As far as how it actually performs: The compressor will kick on and run and shut back off again all while I am painting so it is pumping it faster than I can use it which is perfect. The last thing you want to have happen is for the compressor to try and catch up to you and the pressure drops, which will make your gun shoot erratically.

So anyway, if that's the same compressor that you have, you are well on your way to being able to paint your own car... The rest of the tools needed all together cost less than that one compressor. I've had mine for several years and I'm happy with it. The only time it doesn't produce air faster than I am using it is when I am running my big air file or my DA sander.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice work, it really looks sharp. I like the hood scoop, it isn't too much.
I'll bet there are some people in Switzerland eyeballing your newest build too. :)

Oddly enough, when we bought the wife's Ramcharger from the PO the guy had a 71 Satellite (seen in the car hauler picture, tan and black) that was super solid and really needed minimal work so I bought the Ramcharger and the 71 Satellite as a package deal. I ended up feeling overwhelmed by project cars so I didn't do anything with the 71 and decided to just flip it and make a few bucks. The guy who ended up buying that car was from Finland. He had that one shipped over there. Apparently the Europeans know a good thing when they see 'em and are buying up these old Plymouths.

Thanks for the info. I have the same spray guns too.

I finished chasing down the electrical gremlins that have been plaguing me and the car since I got it. Namely: headlights that wouldn't work, brake lights that wouldn't work, a non-working horn, and I had to undo and properly fix some electrical hacks that the previous owners had done. Electrical is a pain in the butt and I probably couldn't have worked it all out without these forums, so thanks to YOU!!

I had to get it out and clean it up so I figured I would shoot some pics of it.

2cpeqok.jpg

I just love the color. I really couldn't be happier with the look of this car.

Next up is cosmetic restoration of the dash now that it's all working. Then headliner install. And after that I can finally close up the car and install a new windshield and re-install the rear glass.

Very Nice work.
I have the same 72SSP EV2 400 BB A/C car with white interior! Havent started on it yet but will very soon. Trying to wrap up 68 Cuda and get it sold ....and keep the Duster going.
Im looking for a new Satellite grill emblem...anyone know where to find one?

Attachments

• 20140908_192622_resized.jpg
    20140908_192622_resized.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 904
Auto Transport Service
Back