• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shifter hitting dash

Here's mine in 1st gear (flop-open ashtray closed). Crap generic boot installed, think it's a MrGasket or
some such:
View attachment 809024
I can just about get my fist between the handle and the dash at its' closest point.

It appears that the angle of the shifter is much different than the OPs

I don't think there is a difference in shifters between console and non console cars, is there?
There is in the handles...
Stealing a couple pics from Dan Brewer here, for Hurst shifters in B-bodies '68-'69:
non-console.jpg
Non-console shifter handle

console.jpg
Console shifter handle

As far as the shifter mechanism itself goes, I know of no difference at all...

From what I can tell by looking his pic, it “appears” he has the “correct” stick, however the C body stick is similar, but would have the ball about 5” closer to the dash.
Probably worth measuring.

View attachment 808836 View attachment 808837
The OP has the 4077 handle, MO. If he removes the handle it probably is stamped 4077, Not sure handles from Chrysler are stamped. Spent many hours looking at handles for my 65 Dodge, bought a 4078 and its close to dash with engine set back 1.5".

Here's mine in 1st gear (flop-open ashtray closed). Crap generic boot installed, think it's a MrGasket or
some such:
View attachment 809024
I can just about get my fist between the handle and the dash at its' closest point.

That's not the early ashtray.... The early ashtray slides downward to open...

That's not the early ashtray.... The early ashtray slides downward to open...
Meh, whatever. It's one of these:
MP6533.jpg
It's original to the car. Car has a build date of Dec. 1, 1968....none of this of which is helping the OP, I'd suspect.

Meh, whatever. It's one of these:
View attachment 809072
It's original to the car. Car has a build date of Dec. 1, 1968....none of this of which is helping the OP, I'd suspect.

No, it's not helping the OP, but twice you've stated it's the early design... So I thought it would be nice to get the facts straight in case anyone was wanting to learn something.... Early design ashtray....
Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 19.23.27.png

No, it's not helping the OP, but twice you've stated it's the early design... So I thought it would be nice to get the facts straight in case anyone was wanting to learn something.... Early design ashtray....View attachment 809079
I apologize for my egregious error and thank you for the correction.

Besides, I like mine better anyways. :)

I apologize for my egregious error and thank you for the correction.

Besides, I like mine better anyways. :)

:drinks: Everybody has to have a preference.... Since my car has the early one I kinda like it....

:drinks: Everybody has to have a preference.... Since my car has the early one I kinda like it....
Does the "door" on yours fit any better when closed? This type I've got, every car I've had with 'em, the fit is terrible when closed no matter how much I adjust them.

Does the "door" on yours fit any better when closed? This type I've got, every car I've had with 'em, the fit is terrible when closed no matter how much I adjust them.

I'll let ya know when I actually get the dash assembled....LOL... My original slider type was seriously trashed when I started on this project, but it was 2001 & Ebay use to not be quite so picked over.... I found a guy selling an NOS early style ashtray & no one was bidding on it... I got it for $45.... But I haven't installed it yet....

I'll let ya know when I actually get the dash assembled....LOL... My original slider type was seriously trashed when I started on this project, but it was 2001 & Ebay use to not be quite so picked over.... I found a guy selling an NOS early style ashtray & no one was bidding on it... I got it for $45.... But I haven't installed it yet....
Nice score there! :thumbsup:

some such:
View attachment 809024

Thanks for the pic.

That’s how I remembered mine....... not really all that close to the dash at all.

In the OP’s shifter pic........ it looks as though the angle of the shifter handle is way too far foward.

It’ll be interesting to see which part(s) of his set up are incorrect.

Factory swapped over from Inland to Hurst in January 1968 from what I can research
(originally switched TO the Inland in 1966 apparently). According to Professor Ehrenberg,
the dealers got so tired of the warranty issues and complaints from owners that the switch
was made back to Hurst.

Interesting story over on Allpar about the designer of the pistol grip, too....
https://www.allpar.com/forums/threads/history-of-the-hurst-pistol-grip-shifter.163812/
The building I work in in Moorestown is one of the locations that made pistol grips in the day. I know the guy who THREW OUT the molds for them in the dumpster years ago when the boss said to clean up all the old junk laying around.

The building I work in in Moorestown is one of the locations that made pistol grips in the day. I know the guy who THREW OUT the molds for them in the dumpster years ago when the boss said to clean up all the old junk laying around.
Wow, can you imagine? Dang...

I think I may have a happy ending for this thread. Since I was able to drive the car, I was in no hurry to solve this problem, although I was trying to find a solution I could live with all along. I went to a swap meet and saw a shifter mechanism I thought might work, due to the position of the shifter handle lever (further to the rear than mine). It was out of a Camaro, but looked very close to mine. I tried it on my car, but it wouldn't work. I then took both mechanisms apart, and traded the shifter handle levers. It seems to be functioning OK. The photos show the positions of the handle in reverse and fourth gear.
9172.jpg
9171.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back