• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shimming an exhaust manifold

Speterson64

Local time
9:00 AM
Reaction score
Hey all! I have a little dilemma. I’m putting together an max wedge clone. (493”)
My issue is I’m going with the factory style MW headers and the passenger side is hitting my valve cover. Due to them being taller mopar performance cast aluminum. I couldn’t go with the shorter factory style cover due to them hit the rockers. So my question is, has anyone ever put shims on their exhaust to gain some clearance? If I shim the header out 1/16” and double gasket it, it’ll clear my valve cover just enough. thoughts??!!
My only thought is it’d be easier to blow the gaskets out!

how about just clearance the valve cover a little? you stated they are cast aluminum

I recall making shims to turn exhaust manifolds upside down for a turbo application. Some engines don't even use gaskets. Just finely machined surfaces. I've known guys 2 stack gaskets too, but usually short lived.

Last edited:
Would raising the valve cover work the same? Heavy gasket or glue two gaskets together to raise it.

how about just clearance the valve cover a little? you stated they are cast aluminum

Depending on where and how much needed the cover can be nicely done if you do it on a vertical mill so it comes out smooth, even and shiny

If they are real max exhausts, I would leave them alone and try double gasket.
If they are repops, I would have the one hitting the cover angle milled a few degrees.
Cook that valve cover, and you won't be able to keep paint on it, or gaskets under it.
Pictures of the interference would help.

Might be some other options out there. Remflex gaskets start out .125” thick, irc they can take up almost half their thickness though, not sure what the clamped thickness is.

Could possibly use MLS gaskets and add layers until they clear. Would get pricey though, they start out .030”.

Spacers are doable to, we made spacers on this turbo set up to flip a manifold upside down. Could just use a cheaper header flange. I think this photo is what curiousyellow71 is recalling.. Been sitting awhile and needs a bath… But if the shim and double gasket can hold on this thing…lol

1ED642E1-0BDD-4E59-A47E-86996281951A.jpeg

Last edited:
I recall making shims to turn exhaust manifolds upside down for a turbo application. Some engines don't even use gaskets. Just finely machined surfaces. I've known guys 2 stack gaskets too, but usually short lived.
I think shims will work best. Thanks for the advice

Dodge brothers idea is an excellent one. Header flanges from summit, with a gasket on each side, ....done.

If they are real max exhausts, I would leave them alone and try double gasket.
If they are repops, I would have the one hitting the cover angle milled a few degrees.
Cook that valve cover, and you won't be able to keep paint on it, or gaskets under it.
Pictures of the interference would help.
This is an excellent idea!! Thanks
They are repops. So no worries there

Search 440 Chrysler header flange at summit. Found two from patriot, one even has the big exhaust opening for max heads. $53, I think, might even come with gaskets.

If you plan to put an H-pipe on it it will likley cause problems.

Auto Transport Service
Back