• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

short shaft tranny

gtxrt

Local time
10:36 PM
Reaction score
if you need a short shaft 727 can you use the long shaft tranny and put the short shaft on it ?

I believe it's just a matter of taking the trans apart, switch shafts[ not sure if you have to check clearances on components] then put back together. You'll need the tail housing that matches the short shaft too. The unit for my car is done with the mid length shaft and the proper Gear Vendors adaptor to match up.

if you need a short shaft 727 can you use the long shaft tranny and put the short shaft on it ?
Or you could grab one from an A100.

1691117273456.png

I agree.
Oohh... wasn't sure if this was a mechanical topic.
We should all go back to long form: "transmission". Never again "tranny". Unless, of course, you really are talking about non-mechanical "trannies". LOL

There were 3 different output shaft lengths that I know of with matching tail hosings. I got the mid length one so the GV unit would be closer to the trans/t-bar crossmember and not hanging so far out in the breeze. I had the trans done by Pro Trans before they left the PRC and went to Texas.
On DaveT64's note, ATF has a new meaning now, especially Bud Light. Automatic Tranny Fluid. :lol:

I believe the only one with an actual slip spline was the long shaft. The 4wd trucks used several ones with splines that slid into the transfer case. All the other short shaft versions had a bolt on yoke. I used to make a shorty 727 similar to the Power Glide shorty. Race only no governor or park gear. I shortened the shaft and tail housing. resplined the shaft and welded a puck machined for a bushing and seal to the tail housing. No more bearing so the slip yoke now rode on a bushing.

Auto Transport Service
Back