• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

should i or shouldnt i, cam selection

benno440

Local time
8:10 AM
Reaction score
thinking about tossing my hydraulic and swapping upto a solid roller cam.
to go with my new intake and prosystems carb in my 505.

I guess I never really asked but is this a street/strip eng that will see many street miles or just for racing only ?? I only ask as it would make a difference in my cam decision. Ron

98% street, i was reading that valvetrain gear these days are not like they were 20 + years ago and street cars can run and run well roller cams etc. and they are pretty much maintenance free. If you are having to adjust lash etc. then you are using rubbish gear or wrong components. blah blah blah

I put a hyd. roller in a small block Ford stroker motor I put together about 10 years ago. We still have the car it went into and I haven't had to adjust the rockers. If I had the money and was putting together a new motor it is a no brainer to go roller. Just make sure the cam is matched to your motor and usage.

Used an Isky .660 lift solid roller in a 440 back in the 80's and used their ductile iron non roller rockers and that thing stayed adjusted. That engine saw 7300 every pass. A buddy ran a .600 lift solid non roller cam with the same rockers and that thing wouldn't stay adjusted from pass to pass! His 440 was built very similar to mine except for the cam wasn't a roller. That was my first experience with a roller and any engine I build today gets one....hydraulic or not. And with a roller, you don't need to worry about how much ZDDP your oil has. I still like my oil to have some but it won't need near as much as the 'old' cams need....that is if you have that problem there.

thanks, i might consider it, i can grab a lunati roller cam and scorpion roller lifters for about $700, all i need then is the pushrods, i have everything else already

decent gains there, what do you mean by " doesn't really mean anything"

Are you haveing a go at me Jim cause i keep asking the same thing over and over?
I am sorry and i do appreciate the work you have done, but i got the missus hounding me for spending too much so trying to keep to the budget while also trying to get the engine running good.

did you get the payment for the shipping?

Nice. Not that you could put solid flat tappets on a cam made for hyd flat tappets, but does this also hold true for flat tappet cams? Or is the difference more pronounced with roller cams because of the faster ramp speeds?

Solid flat tappets on a hydraulic cam is not a problem. I have done this on occasion for 40 years without a hitch. The important thing is I don't run more than .005" or .006" hot lash.

For instance, here are back to back runs with Pop's pump gas 440 engine using solid flat tappet lifters on a Comp Cams XE285HL hydraulic flat tappet cam.

RPM.............HP..............HP

Auto Transport Service
Back