• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I upgrade my cam

How much does the driver/owner of a "Pro Turing Car" benefit annually? Thanks for the pixs.....My '70 GTX is already in that category......but....the last time I went to the grocery and spent $200.00+ for groceries then paid my $7000 property taxes, i showed the clerks pix of my car.....and their comment was: "so what" or "that's nice".......but, I guess its a matter of personal preference and understanding......and wants and need. Enjoy your car.....
BOB RENTON
Your first mistake is showing the clerk at a grocery store a picture of an old car and expecting any kind of reaction or Comment. Why would they care? I’m a car guy and probably wouldn’t care either.

Also wondering Bob, why it seems that you’re always so contrarian and stirring the pot for no real reason other than maybe to hear yourself talk. As just done with @Sahara

just chill some, it’s just a fun forum not the loudest opinion wins forum

Your first mistake is showing the clerk at a grocery store a picture of an old car and expecting any kind of reaction or Comment. Why would they care? I’m a car guy and probably wouldn’t care either.

Also wondering Bob, why it seems that you’re always so contrarian and stirring the pot for no real reason other than maybe to hear yourself talk. As just done with @Sahara

just chill some, it’s just a fun forum not the loudest opinion wins forum
I did not realize that you are the head of the police force in charge of determining who says what on any given subject. Perhaps, you are in favor of repealing several constitutional amendments, where free thought is verboten.......you have your thoughts.....and....i'll have mine.......
BOB RENTON

So I'm getting closer to pulling the top end of my 400 motor apart to replace my gaskets and bolts. I have an exhaust leak at the header, an oil leak at the valve cover, and a coolant leak at the head so I'm pulling it apart to fix all of this. Along with it, replacing plugs and wires, new belts, etc. Right now, from what I assume, it has a stock bottom end and heads with headers and exhaust, torker 383 intake, and a Holley 750 carb. Since I'm going to be pulling everything apart, is it worth it to go ahead and upgrade the cam(assuming it's stock- I'll check when I get it apart)? I want to do a 4 speed swap and looks like a kit from Passon runs at least 5-6k and will be a little while before I can swing that and part of me feels like I'll regret not doing the cam now, which seems like $500-$1000 depending on the cam and I'm assuming new lifters and springs. Any thoughts?
yes upgrade the cam. Get one of those cams described as rv and towing cam, they usually idle smoothly but make more power than a stock cam and it can be a big improvement. Two or three of my friends bought these types of cam/lifters/springs like i described and all had said they were excellent. The stock factory camshafts are definitely not as good as these rv cams as far as lift and duration go, the stock camshaft had to be extra conservative so the car could be sent to anywhere in the country and not have any driveability issues while operating in hotter or colder climates or higher altitudes, etc.
so yes i remember numbers of around 268 degrees of duration or so usually were what these camshafts had. Oh and thats not at .050" thats at zero.

Auto Transport Service
Back