• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should the Torque converter be moved up during install?

Differences in flex plate thickness and a convertor that has been cut apart, modified, and welded
back together will cause the dimension to change some. In my forty years of taking apart STOCK
Mopars, I've never seen shims or washers either! O.K., so why did PTC ship my new "Modified"
convertor with an instruction sheet to check and possibly shim the excess clearance? You'll have to
call Kenny Ford @ PTC. 1-256-383-6868. Maybe he knows the right answer!

Differences in flex plate thickness and a convertor that has been cut apart, modified, and welded
back together will cause the dimension to change some. In my forty years of taking apart STOCK
Mopars, I've never seen shims or washers either! O.K., so why did PTC ship my new "Modified"
convertor with an instruction sheet to check and possibly shim the excess clearance? You'll have to
call Kenny Ford @ PTC. 1-256-383-6868. Maybe he knows the right answer!
I have an answer but you're not going to like it.

Let's have it! I still haven't learned everything yet.

There are a few possibilities why there is a large gap. They need to be checked out....otherwise sounds like dollar coins grinding together might be heard.....
- aftermarket CV? Could be the pump drive slots in the hub have been cut deeper, so CV drops in further. Would be ok to use if this was the cause
- bent f/plate or non std FP. Fix is self explanatory.
- hub on CV is too short.

Auto Transport Service
Back