• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should you save old parts or sell them?

I try to look at it as buying good karma in that, whatever good deed gets done may balance out some offenses I've surely committed.
LMAO! Oly chit, I’d need to give away everything I own to make up for the offenses I’ve committed. That’s only the ones I know about.

Think this is an interesting discussion hearing about what members suggest or think here. You have a lot of new members who might not know all the rules yet. Some new-be might get real excited about a part they need badly being mentioned and not be aware.

Could this reminder work? If anyone may have interest in any parts being mentioned, do NOT ask here, send them a PM?
That is a sale. No different than a list of parts, prices and photos with instructions to "PM me if interested" Joey wants sellers to follow the sale rules, to keep sales organized, and in their proper place. He doesn't want a free for all. "Please repost in the proper Marketplace forum" is the message I send to members that attempt to sell parts in non-sale threads.

As for me, I saved a LOT of stuff over the years.....but now that I'm in my 70's, I don't save stuff anymore.
I am only in my 60's but am starting to adopt that attitude. My three adult daughters flat out told me that they don't know what this stuff is, don't know what it's worth, and don't want it. They said when I'm gone, it's gone.

I am only in my 60's but am starting to adopt that attitude. My three adult daughters flat out told me that they don't know what this stuff is, don't know what it's worth, and don't want it. They said when I'm gone, it's gone.
I'm there with you. I'm even thinking about downsizing cars. I have 2. I can only drive 1 at a time. Half the license, insurance, storage, and maintenance could save me some coin. Besides, what is that last car you've always wanted to own? (before you are so old they take your license away)

As someone is looking for parts and advice from members on this forum, I appreciate the guys that do have good old parts and are willing to sell them. I still have leftover parts from a Corvette build, but sometimes out of site is out of mind. I have to go through stuff and start purging to keep the hobby going.

Life is a circle.

When I was younger, I threw away anything that didn't make the car faster or "cooler."

Then I got older and started keeping things because I had the space and learned the value of convenience. Needing a part and then finding that part in your private stash is a great feeling like none other. It's validation to a degree.

And I'm sure as I age I'll start throwing things away again. Either due to lack of space and/or I don't want to burden my wife with selling it all.

Life is a circle. You enter with nothing. You leave with nothing. The space between those 2 points are up to you

I guess there is a difference between being a hoarder and keeping sensible parts. I am cleaning up my garage and find half-filled five-gallon buckets. Some have paint some have hydraulic oil or other products. So, don't know how long I have had them, and they are all going. Found part of a gasket set for different motor and those are going also. I have decided if I can't use it then it is just taking up valuable space. After finishing my resto. on my car still hanging on to some stuff that could be used. Like others have stated you just have to decide if it is worth keeping or getting rid to make space. Good luck with the quest.

Shipping has killed my desire to sell online.
I'll say !!
My three adult daughters flat out told me that they don't know what this stuff is, don't know what it's worth, and don't want it. They said when I'm gone, it's gone.
I got two. They are nice enough to say "Sell the stuff and give us the money ":asskiss::lol:

I have 1 small block valve cover gasket hanging on the wall for gosh knows how long.
I look at it and say "You are never gonna change 1 gasket are you ?''

In my "keep" stash, I have two big plastic totes full of '66 Coronet-only parts, trim, and such, plus three decent grilles (complete), bumpers, glass and more. Similarly with the Imperial - trim, lenses, interior trim, two AM radios, and more. And my '69 D300 has its own tote stash. The boxes are marked. And, I have a complete 3,300-mile '73 318/904 from a Barracuda, and 90% of what's needed to build the spare '73 440 engine. All spares.

Everything else? I'll put up a list in the Spring to see what sells. If any of the three vehicles sell, that set of parts go with, more than likely.

My younger son wants the '69 D300, and my older son wants the Coronet.

Depends on the parts. 916 heads, factory intake? I threw mine out, wasn't going to use them ever again. Small parts...I'll hold onto. I hate throwing out parts I could possibly use again. I even buy spares as I find them incase what I have wears out.

I have kept lots of good parts over the years. Things have changed though and especially living in Canada the cost of shipping has killed the salability of used parts. Last time I moved I threw out an entire semi trailer load of parts. I saved a lot of NOS and mint smaller parts but I have occassionnaly tried to sell a few of them and it just doesn't happen. Buyers think that you should ship them for free and that basically goes the other way, you are paying for the shipping and getting nothing for the part that you paid for and stored all these years. It's unfortunate.

Besides, what is that last car you've always wanted to own?

They say they are going to bury me in my Cordoba. I had that beast since I was 16. My first car. I have a 71 Cuda that I barely drive anymore. Past few years I've contemplated selling it. This year may be that year.

They say they are going to bury me in my Cordoba. I had that beast since I was 16. My first car. I have a 71 Cuda that I barely drive anymore. Past few years I've contemplated selling it. This year may be that year.
I like both of my cars but I really am gravitating towards a 64 Dodge. I'll sell the 2 I own for a nice 64.

Let me know on the 66 if the timing is right !

I know... Tell me about it! I thew away cast 400 heads because no one wanted those smog things, also threw away 8 1/4 rear end. It was heart wrenching! I'm now sitting on a Cast 4-barrel intake. I'll probably end up throwing that away too. Painful, but I don't have the space and no one wants them.
Is that cash manifold a 400 or 440?

"I'm gonna use that some day" parts are like the "I'm gonna restore that someday" about the yard full of rusting cars.

I believe it's as stated, you need to evaluate EACH part as to it's relative importance to the car. If it's part of that car's history, AND it helps provide the history, then keep it regardless of ACTUAL value. If it makes no sense to keep it like some A/C parts, the aftermarket is making much of the original pieces quite obsolete and a nuisance to keep around. Still other parts should be retained should you want to revert back from a previous change.

I didn't know a Mopar guy ever sold anything. I thought they were all hoarders.

Auto Transport Service
Back