• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your aftermarket stereo setups!!!

Robe81

Local time
11:09 PM
Reaction score
Having a heck of a time deciding on what to do with the 69' Roadrunner as far as stereo goes. Speakers are easy enough but the actual unit itself is proving to be a pain. I like the idea of the retro look, like what RetroSounds offers, but unfortunately there is no direct applications from them. I've also looked at K & C Harrison, but they dont have quite the capability of the RetroSounds ones.

So I'd love to see some ideas from you guys before I settle. Really don't want to do this twice.

Thanks!

I have this in my 69 Bee..I have the SST model. http://www.casmfg.com/Secretaudio.htm

Didn't use the one with the wireless control since then you have to worry about re-charging it with the cig lighter.

I have the unit mounted under the L/F seat and the control head is sitting on the hump between the bucket seats held in place by Velcro so I didn't drill any holes in the floor. You can hold the big unit with Velcro also if you like since it sits under the seat and does not really move.

Stock radio still in the dash...

Have this installed in my 69 GTX convertible. Great radio, lots of options including blue tooth streaming of songs from your phone! Can also hook you up with a dual cone speaker for the dash to replace the crappy mopar oem. Radio's are pricy but you get what you pay for and it looks stock. PM me for a special price.
Fits Charger, Coronet, Super Bee, Belvedere, GTX, Roadrunner and Satellite
Specifications

• Fits in dash without any modifications
  • Quality faceplate and original looking thumbwheel controls that match the originals
  • 4 X 45 watts RMS output allows up to 180 watts of audio power
  • AM or FM dial scale looks like the original
1968-1969MOPARB-BODYAM-FMRADIOf.jpg

1968-1969MOPARB-BODYAM-FMRADIOg.gif

ReproductionradioBACK_zps916b2780.png

• AM or FM band selected with thumbwheel with AM FM slide window like the original
  • Quality faceplate and original looking thumbwheel controls that match the originals
  • 10 presets (5 AM, 5 FM)
  • Digitally tuned AM/FM stereo front end provides stable, high quality reception
  • With auxiliary input for iPhone / Smart phone HANDS FREE!! or satelite radio XM/Sirius, mp3 player, any old portable CD or cassette player!!

35mm6_zpse634d60e.jpg

It comes with one of these,... you know where this goes!
  • Analog controls look and feel like the original radio
  • All controls easily accessible. Volume, Tone, Balance, Fader and Tuning from original-looking controls
  • Mounting with original bolts from the front
  • Memory retention for user settings is more than 40 years
  • LED dial lights never need replacing
  • European channel spacing programmed in before shippment to Europe or Australia.
1968-1969MOPARB-BODYAM-FMRADIOc-1.jpg

1968-1969MOPARB-BODYAM-FMRADIOb-1.jpg

1968-1969MOPARB-BODYAM-FMRADIOa.jpg
1968-69 Mopar “B” Body AM/FM/Stereo Radio
$635.00

I have the unit described by mountainmuscle in my road runner and am not pleased with it. When it arrived, it rattled and a set screw fell out of a hole in the casing. I took it to a professional installer and after testing it with a four speaker system it ran very hot. I sent it back to the manufacturer and was told the heat was normal when running four speakers and that it was operating as it should.

We installed it with the four speakers and an amplifier so that the radio could operate at less power. With the amplifier on it there is loud static. With the amplifier off it heats up and shuts off. at this point we haven't got it working right. After looking at the warranty (such as it is), if we can't get it to work correctly, I'll leave it in cause it looks good and hide a China radio somewhere else. Here's the warranty info for Antique Automobile Inc

"All of our products are
thoroughly tested and guaranteed to perform as specified for a period of one year from
date of purchase. The seller cannot control the use of these parts, therefore the seller
makes no warranty, express or implied, other than replacement of a component that fails to
operate. Further, since defects in a customer's radio (i.e. shorted buffer condensers or
power transformer, etc.) or electrical system can destroy a vibrator, power supply, or
other components, this warranty is limited to ONE replacement. In no event shall our
liability exceed the buyer’s purchase price nor shall we be liable for any indirect
or consequential damages.

This warranty does not apply to products that have been subject
to misuse, neglect, accident, or modification.

Return the defective item to us and include
sufficient shipping and handling (minimum $4.00) for a prompt replacement.

"

I may be in the minority here. I left the original radio in dash, then I cut the back of my glove compartment and fit a new stereo in it. I can use the remote control and leave the glove box closed.

I run a Kenwood Excelon X995 Stereo in my bird, using a underdash mount. It's mounted on the very bottom of the dash, and tucked back (below the ashtray).

It has Bluetooth, Pandora, Sirus, hands free calling, Ipod hook up, Aux port, USB, detachable face, CD. Has a ton of options/settings. It's hooked to a 5 Channel 1200 Watt Kenwood Excelon AMP. Powers a 12" Kenwood Sub Woofer, two Polk Audio 6" x 9"'s, two Polk Audio 3.5", and two Kenwood excelon 4.5's. Love the system.. I do run a 100AMP Tuff alternator as well as a Kinetik 1800 high current audio battery.

I chose to have my original AM radio gutted and fitted with new 4 channel stereo electronics including MP3 jack. I replaced the stock speaker in front and added 2 in the back. Stock looking with today's technology for great sound.

0906_zps1dc9ad81.jpg

0978_zps767a2d2f.jpg

Just have an iPod connection in the console. MS8 in the ash tray controls the system. All nicely hid.

We have installed a bunch of the Antique Radios in various Mopars, and had great success. They sound great and the look is dead on factory. No problems with a great sound. Just depends on what you want and the look you can live with.

I have similar experience to roadrunnerron with my AM/FM MP3 conversion. I love the look and originally the unit would heat so much that it would trip an internal fuse so play time was 8-9 seconds. After going back and forth with the person who did the conversion, the unit is updated and better, however on a long trip, say a couple of hours, it will trip again when powering 4 speakers. Not great, but I'm OK with taking a break and listening to exhaust sounds at that point! After a few minutes it cools down again and ready to rock. no AC so I'm at the mercy of heat.

I have the unit described by mountainmuscle in my road runner and am not pleased with it. When it arrived, it rattled and a set screw fell out of a hole in the casing. I took it to a professional installer and after testing it with a four speaker system it ran very hot. I sent it back to the manufacturer and was told the heat was normal when running four speakers and that it was operating as it should.

We installed it with the four speakers and an amplifier so that the radio could operate at less power. With the amplifier on it there is loud static. With the amplifier off it heats up and shuts off. at this point we haven't got it working right. After looking at the warranty (such as it is), if we can't get it to work correctly, I'll leave it in cause it looks good and hide a China radio somewhere else. Here's the warranty info for Antique Automobile Inc

"All of our products are
thoroughly tested and guaranteed to perform as specified for a period of one year from
date of purchase. The seller cannot control the use of these parts, therefore the seller
makes no warranty, express or implied, other than replacement of a component that fails to
operate. Further, since defects in a customer's radio (i.e. shorted buffer condensers or
power transformer, etc.) or electrical system can destroy a vibrator, power supply, or
other components, this warranty is limited to ONE replacement. In no event shall our
liability exceed the buyer’s purchase price nor shall we be liable for any indirect
or consequential damages.

This warranty does not apply to products that have been subject
to misuse, neglect, accident, or modification.

Return the defective item to us and include
sufficient shipping and handling (minimum $4.00) for a prompt replacement.

"

Well that is one choice that is easy to make, Too expensive and a horrible warranty, thanks but no.

I have this in my 69 Bee..I have the SST model. http://www.casmfg.com/Secretaudio.htm

Didn't use the one with the wireless control since then you have to worry about re-charging it with the cig lighter.

I have the unit mounted under the L/F seat and the control head is sitting on the hump between the bucket seats held in place by Velcro so I didn't drill any holes in the floor. You can hold the big unit with Velcro also if you like since it sits under the seat and does not really move.

Stock radio still in the dash...

I did the exact same thing, works like a charm, and kept the original unit intact. Upgrade to modern speakers in place of the old ones and youll have all you need without any real modifications.

I'll probably have to make my own center console with a radio set up in it. My GTX is missing the center console and original radio. I'm doing an updated resto-mod anyway. I have two 12w3 jl's for the trunk and alpine components for the kick panels and 6x9's for the rear deck. I'm probably going with double din navigation type or app radio from pioneer. It's gotta have cup holders lol. Now I need to figure out what to do with the big hole in the dash...... Maybe some gauges.

Auto Transport Service
Back