• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shroud for Champion radiator

sunbee1224

Local time
5:09 PM
Reaction score
Im looking for suggestions for a fan shroud to use with a champion radiator. 383 is running hot at idle but nice and cool while going down the road. 50/50 coolant, 160 high flow stat, hd Hayden fan clutch and good flow of coolant when stat is open. Just not moving enough air at idle.
Thanks in advance for shroud suggestions

Do you have the shroud from the stock radiator? I cut mine in a couple of places, made some aluminum brackets, and attached that to my Champion rad. I do plan, however, to make some improvements with sheet aluminum I picked up from Home Depot.

By the way, Champion offers shrouds, but they are quite expensive, IMHO.

Here are some shots of mine. No idea what brand of rad but this is what I did with a stock shroud I picked up for $50. Hope it helps.

Shroud_1.jpg Shroud_2.jpg Shroud_3.jpg

Yours looks better than mine at the moment, but more like what I pictured in my head when I add the sheet metal. :)

I believe I got real thin gauge aluminum, and had a friend with a shop bend it for me. I made templates out of cereal boxes for the exact measurements that I needed for each bend, then I rounded off the sharp corners and installed it. I looks not bad. I was concerned the plastic shroud and aluminum rad would look weird but I think its fine. You could always paint the rad black with rad paint.

I believe I got real thin gauge aluminum, and had a friend with a shop bend it for me. I made templates out of cereal boxes for the exact measurements that I needed for each bend, then I rounded off the sharp corners and installed it. I looks not bad. I was concerned the plastic shroud and aluminum rad would look weird but I think its fine. You could always paint the rad black with rad paint.
Kind of what I did.

I drew up what I needed and had a local fab shop do the shroud. I got tired of trying to find something that would work.
20170612_165515.jpg

20170629_202446.jpg

Maybe the fab shop will do another one?

Champion emailed me back and basically said try a universal shroud, or buy a shroud from them and convert to electric fans.

That looks great. Mind me asking how much it ran you?
It cost me almost $300. It's what the aftermarket metal ones are going for, so what the heck. If I was still working where I used to, I could have made it up myself, having all the equipment to do such a job. So spend the $$$ and get past it!

Maybe the fab shop will do another one?

Champion emailed me back and basically said try a universal shroud, or buy a shroud from them and convert to electric fans.

Not a Champion radiator but a Engineered Cooling Products, "ECP". Change whatever measurements to coincide with yours. Any fab shop with a heliarc welder should be able to do the job. It could be made with sheet metal instead of aluminum to save a couple bucks.
20170710_093154.jpg

you would be amazed what can be built with rivets and epoxy when money is not there. i just run electric fans now. works way better then any mechanical fan ever did.

you would be amazed what can be built with rivets and epoxy when money is not there. i just run electric fans now. works way better then any mechanical fan ever did.
I tend to agree with you on the electric fans. I was hoping for a $150 solution, but considering too many unknowns on what shroud would fit, I'm leaning towards a electric fan conversion.

Auto Transport Service
Back