• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Simple ADD a leaf install!

Vonzy797

Local time
5:36 PM
Reaction score
The add a leaf kit from summit was really easy to install – Ive read a lot of posts from guys doing it and figured Id give it a shot. For some reason my Factory Big block BEE has really chinsy 4 leave springs… it sat really low. They looked very tired. So I figured Id completely redo the entire suspension on the car. I went with the stock height XD (HD) big block springs from summit - but I figured I want a little more height in the rear and I read that these add a leafs would give me an extra inch or two. I wont know until I get it all back together and drive it a little. The majority of you all said don’t use shackles; so I gave this a try. Really easy – check out the pics photo 1 (1).JPGsprings 2.jpgphoto 3 (1).JPG. Thanks guys!

Keep us posted on the results. I may go this way myself........................MO

image.jpg Adding one Summit leaf each side got this result for me. Perfect.

Original springs. 1 inch and a fraction. Pictured with 225 70 14 fronts and 295 50 15 rears. 8 inch rear rims. No sag with beer and luggage. Triple digit handling not compromised.

Thanks, I might do that to my Charger this winter.

I was thinking of using the short leaf from a wrecked 90's chevy 1/2 ton work truck on my coronet. not sure if it will work, but they're free.

I did this with one of the extra leaves from one of my parts car. Worked well to help the tired spring pack. Sits right where I want it now.

Last edited:
I did this with one of the extra leaves from one of my parts car. Worked well to help the tired spring pack. Sits right where I want it now.

Yep. I've done that with an A body. Took spare F body springs and figured which one I needed to add to make the springs stiffer. No "lift". Just stiffer so I could load up the car without my 15 inch tires hitting the fender lip. (Got a wider rear too)

You replaced the u bolts right ??? there made to stretch once and not to be reused.... no matter who has gotten away with it.... there's a video on utube "440 dodge truck burn out " or something like that.... where their axle comes free of the truck.

So Mopar Performance Original Equipment leaf springs and add a leafs?

I'm tossing both into my shopping cart along. My 66 Net needs some height on the back end, I get a touch of rub. My leafs are probably tired.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.jpg

Best pictures I have from when I did it. I just took the second shortest leaf out of the donor spring pack and added it. Raised the back of the car up a an inch or two from its sagged spot and is stiffer but not overly stiff. Cost me like $5 for the centering bolts and that was about it. (well time and elbow grease to repaint them) Before I did this the top of the rear wheel was not visible

Can I bump this?

The link takes us to a 2.36" width short-style add-a-leaf. People on summit reviewed these; comments from some say they have used these on mopar b-bodies.

DennisH said he used 2.5. I'm guessing this is 2.5" width. The 2.5" width ones I see are long style with no reviews. If he says they work then they work too.

I am guessing to go with the 2.36" width ones from the link above. Yes?

Thanks,

Watermelon

Auto Transport Service
Back