• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Single carb vs dual

nutz4spd

Local time
5:08 AM
Reaction score
I've been looking at different intakes for my 413. I like things that are different and unique (hence why I have a '62 Dart) and have looked into a dual quad setup. I also like my power and have always said you can never have enough. The motor is currently mildly built with a Mopar Purple cam and a single Holley. What is everyone's experience with the dual setups? Are they worth the few extra bucks or is the single carb a better option? I've found an original factory 4x2 Mopar intake from '62 for cheap. I'm also eyeing the Edelbrock Performer RPM for a single carb setup. Just looking for opinions and thoughts.

Mine's still sitting up here, I have enough trouble getting one to run correctly...
shopcleanupcarsnov52022 005.jpg

I have one of those if you look at the box to the right... just hoping I never have to touch these Eddy's or have to go back to the OE's ! (and that battery cable mess and brake master has been since corrected!)
1966hp2cruiseandivroct252022 039.jpg

Last edited:
I'm running that manifold and 600s. It does pretty good in my opinion. Most say a single will do better with the right manifold. These manifolds aren't what the new aftermarket ones have to offer. Apparently some of the 2x4 aftermarket aluminum ones didn't rate that good. (Talking inline fours)

It's mostly for the wow factor. I had a lean condition with the front four cylinders having the carbs hooked up progressive. Went with a one to one linkage and that solved that. (I still haven't figured out how the factory set them up)

I've parked next to cross ram setups and they seem to get all the attention :rolleyes:
20171204_153914.jpg

It's not lacking that much power...

The intake may have been cheap, but the original air cleaners aren't. I have a 1959 set up for a 383. Someone here, and I wish I could remember who, told me how and convinced me I could dial in the two carbs.

I don‘t Know if they run much better but they sure are cool looking. Once set up they aren’t really any greater trouble for a weekend cruiser. Bottom one isn’t mine but I wish it was.

IMG_1364.jpeg
IMG_0015_zpsbqyfofby.jpeg
IMG_1163.jpeg

For looks 2 4's can't be beat. Not saying they can't perform, but for street use I prefer 1.

The ch28 with two 600's is the nicest, most trouble free intake/carb combo I've ever used. Very good torque and driveability.

What is everyone's experience with the dual setups? Are they worth the few extra bucks or is the single carb a better option?
On my built 383 with aluminum heads I had an 850 Holley on a Performer RPM intake and it was extremely snappy off the line and for the entire rpm range.
Also had a tunnel ram on it with 390s, then 600s, then efi, progressively better each time.
The tunnel ram is the Weiand, which flows very well.

I would rate them in this order: 390s is a waste of time, single 850 was great, 600s were very good and comparable to the 850 (lacked that initial snap off the line unless you brought up the rpms but you would run out of road before you ran out of speed/rpm), dual quad efi is best by far.
Never went bigger on the tr with carbs, could have probably went bigger and got better results.
Efi throttle bodies are gigantic.

I also ran the tr with the 390s on a stock worn out 383, it was fun, ran better than the Torker II with an 850 Holley, but that single open plenum intake was too much for a worn out engine.

On a rebuilt stock 383 HP, purple cam, stock heads, I ran the Performer RPM and 850 Holley and it was a blast.
Recently I swapped on the tr with 600s, tuned the carbs a bit, a little more timing, and it's pretty snappy and fun, but needs to be dialed in a bit more.
I bet aluminum heads would bring it to the next level and match the flow of the tr better, but that is not happening.

In my experience, progressive linkage is not good, 1:1 if you want all the power.

I have heard the low rise in-line dual quad intakes are not as good as a tunnel ram or single dual plane, but have no direct experience in comparing them.

20230601_191406.jpg

I was given a pair of early Carter AFB's that were from a 1962 Chrysler 300H. I came up with a 2 X 4 413 intake like the one shown in Post # 3, and found a guy that reproduced the "football" air cleaners in fibreglass. I installed these on my 426 Street Wedge in a 1964 Polara 500 convertible that I used to own. With the hood closed, it looked like "Miss Jane's" car from the Beverly Hillbillies TV show. When I opened the hood, the car never failed to attract a crowd of onlookers. At one show at a dragstrip, the organizing hot rod club only handed out one trophy. The judges said they awarded it to my car mainly because of the two 4's. They said it represented what someone might do to hot rod their car back in the day.
I found these stock carbs were jetted pretty lean, and I had to fatten them up. With some experimentation, I got the setup to run well, but it never had the crispness of the the single 750 cfm. Edelbrock on my 440 in my 1967 R/T. But, they were great eye candy, and I never regretted my choice to run them. When it came time to sell my convertible, I think the carbs and intake helped the buyer's purchase.

42.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

Screenshot_20210913-202626_kindlephoto-45016189.png

Last edited:
Easiest tunability for the street is a single 4bbl.

2x4 carbs can be hard to tune, and certain cylinders can be very rich or lean. I am not a great carb tuner, but my father-in-law is. He spent a lot of time tuning a Z-28 dual quad manifold to get the engine to run right. Once it was setup right, it was a killer engine - that little 302 ran like a big block!

The looks of a multiple carb setup is great, so I'd prefer that, but only if you (or someone you know) have the tuning skills to set them up right.

It always cracks me up that a single cry is easier to tune. The only reason would be doing everything twice. I've driven and owned more than a few 2x4 cars. Pretty simple. Single is cheaper. And in many cases runs the same. But 2x4 looks cool. Eddy 600s run pretty well paired right out of the box.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back