• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Skid Plate Options?

MT_Mopar

Local time
1:12 AM
Reaction score
I have a 7+ Qt oil pan, It hangs down pretty low. I am worried about hitting something and draining out my oil. (BAD!)

I have been checking out skid plates, is there a problem extending the existing skid plate to cover part of the pan?

My cardboard prototype below. (has access cutout for draining oil.

Looking for feedback on the extension past the K member. Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/70-71-Mopar...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d52734790&vxp=mtr

Capture1.jpg

Capture2.jpg

Capture3.jpg

Looks great to me...
As the Nike commercial use to say:
"Just do it"

Muscle Car Review magazine tells a story about a 68 Hemi Dart test drive...
YES, a real one...and wouldnt you know...the owner was driving it for the Magazie editor...a rdie along and he hit something and split open the deep sump oil pan! No damage to the engine, it was immdeiately shot off but oil everywhere!

So yeah, install a home made one for safety!

Looks great to me...
As the Nike commercial use to say:
"Just do it"

Muscle Car Review magazine tells a story about a 68 Hemi Dart test drive...
YES, a real one...and wouldnt you know...the owner was driving it for the Magazie editor...a rdie along and he hit something and split open the deep sump oil pan! No damage to the engine, it was immdeiately shot off but oil everywhere!

So yeah, install a home made one for safety!

I was just wondering if there are any negatives I am overlooking by covering part of the bottom of the oil pan. Thanks

Service station lackeys won't be able to lift the car by putting the jack under the oil pan anymore

tallhair has a good point...YOU will have to build a "fixture" (easy enough) for your jack.
So, I would not build to cover...in this case.
I would build to shield ...
Another words, build a "dam" style set-up...

But anyway..good luck

definetly do it, i had a deep sump 7qt pan on and i hit a speedbump and cracked it open, no damage but i put the new 7qt road race pan on fro milodon, same capacity but it sits up higher than the k member

Just switch to the 6 qt Hemi pan like I did problem solved. Fits flush with the k member

Speed bump and shop floor lifts plus a few other things still have a clearance problem with a 6 qt. pan.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you run a high volume oil pump with that pan?

Yes I run the mildon one with a 1/2" pick up. 70-80 psi on start up at idle warm the lowest I have ever seen is 35 @ 200° temp.

- - - Updated - - -

Speed bump and shop floor lifts plus a few other things still have a clearance problem with a 6 qt. pan.

Not sure how mine is exactly flush with the k member, it is the same stock pan the factory used.

Here is the pan, the price listed is for a windage tray as well they will sell the pan separately

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/mabheap.html#.VI9_GSvF9QA

Auto Transport Service
Back