• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slap stick question , 73

In my opinion, If it ratchets, it's a slap stik, whether it says so or not, since the intent is for you to slap it into the next gear without skipping one, as a regular selector would do.

I think maybe they realized they could get some PR/advertizing by actually calling attention to the feature with a decal/printing, afeter the first year or so.

Slap sticks are cool, with or without the sticker! When my son and I tore the Cordoba down we intended on installing an aftermarket ratchet shifter, we hadn't removed the console when my son said "check it out" and ran the gears. We pulled the console and verified it's a slap stick so it stayed.

Did a quick search and came up with this old thread.
Anyone ever seen a Slap Stick console with the colored sections for the different gear selcections? PRND21

My 73 SE Charger has the different colours under the letters, so at night the letters(PRND21) are each a colour

I thought they were all that way until the mid 70's.

That IS super cool.

I have one that came with my 72 SSP with clear lense like all the ones in the earlier thread. I just acquired a different one this weekend and it has the colored sections. Just wondering what they came out in. Guy said it was pulled from a 73 ? Cuda in a salavage yard. I think Im going to clean it up and use it,,,kind of different than everything else I have seen.

I have a question that is related to this. My 72 SSP which is a very original car doesn't slap correctly. It will slap from 1 to2 but not 2 to 3? I have to push the button to shift to 3.

I didn't do any research on it or work to see what it may be, just posted this question. So if there is something for me to look for on it please advise.
Thanks Ron

Here is a picture of the colored "Slap Stik" unit.
Anyone else know what they came out in?
I think I will use the colored section underneath my current set up which is not so pitted.
Anyone know if the chrome top plate can be bought new somewhere?

Attachments

• 20141109_132712_resized.jpg
    20141109_132712_resized.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 345
Looks like that's missing a part.

Should be a black plastic shield, so you only see the color where the indicator bar is.

Makes it look like the bar changes color in different positions.

- - - Updated - - -

...also covers the hole on either side of the handle.

The plate assembly with the rectangular hole probably wasn't original to a 70 cuda. 70's and most 74's have the round, brown ball.

If your mechanism isn't ratcheting properly, it might just need a good cleaning or bead-blasting. I've messed with dozens of them and that usually does the trick. Check your external spring, too.

Just to muddy the waters more, I've seen a few cars with "SHIFT GATE" instead of "SLAP STIK". Sorry, no photographic evidence.

Yes, the chrome bezel is in repro and can be bought new. Try BE&A or PG Classics.

The ones with shift gate where first production type 70 E-body

Here is a picture of the colored "Slap Stik" unit.
Anyone else know what they came out in?
I think I will use the colored section underneath my current set up which is not so pitted.
Anyone know if the chrome top plate can be bought new somewhere?

I'm pretty sure that P&G classics made a repop of the chrome housing you're looking for. They are also available from BEA parts too. Part number 221. Around $95

On my unrestored 70 Challenger it has a round plastic shifter ball with a button that you depress to change gears. In 1971 all console cars went to the black T handle. That is also when they changed the flat plastic plate that goes around the shifter to a square type hole. The 70 had a round hole in the center and was a one year only application.

The black plastic plate with the square hole is also available from the above mentioned vendors, under part # 221-P71 and it cost $29 new.

As previously mentioned the wording changed and the early ones said "slap stik"

I hope this helps.

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty sure the T handle shifter was used in B and E bodies from 1971-74
The round ball shifter was strictly used a 1970 model car only (unless you count the later A body cars )

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The A body cars used a chrome round shifter knob like the ones found in the late 60's C body cars and 68-70 B body cars.

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

As far as the actual part that has the colored segments, I'm pretty sure they are used on all B&E body cars that used a console for the following years:

1970 E body
1971 to 74 B and E body cars

The black plastic plate allowed the light to come from the console bulb and illuminated the gear shift indicator (and it really looks cool at night).

For those who are unaware, Slap Stik is actually a function. The function is to tug back a bit and press forward from 1, 2 to 3(D).
RJS yours may be a simple adjustment but definitely something is not right, that should work in all 3.

I took the shifter out yesterday and completely cleaned it then WD-40 and then white lube. After a bit of investigation it's a problem shifter. The spring was there and very strong, as working on it progressed I shortened the spring but it is just an improperly ratcheting shifter. The problem is you have to hold pressure on the u shaped metal piece at bottom of shifter. I drilled a small hole and added a spring to do that and it works 75% of the time now. Last night I found a bare shifter on E-Bay and bought it and then today with the "Black Friday Discount" bought a new Chrome Bezel from PG Classic for $70.25 shipped!!

Didn't plan on doing a shifter restoration yet but...
Ron

There are actually TWO springs in the slap-stik mechanism. The obvious big one that clips from the tab on the side to the small hole in the main bracket AND a small one inside that keeps pressure on the stem. The inside one can get rusty and desintegrate or get full of crud. I've found that bead-blasting, followed by a clean, dry air blast is the best cure for most improperly functioning mechanisms.

The round ball that everyone insists was "70 ONLY" re-appeared in 74 and was standard on 74 B and E body cars. Early cars may have had the T-handle, but 99% of 74's I've seen had the ball.

Perhaps the finally realized that if you actually slap the T handle style stick, it cracks at the base and then falls off.

There are actually TWO springs in the slap-stik mechanism. The obvious big one that clips from the tab on the side to the small hole in the main bracket AND a small one inside that keeps pressure on the stem. The inside one can get rusty and desintegrate or get full of crud. I've found that bead-blasting, followed by a clean, dry air blast is the best cure for most improperly functioning mechanisms.

The round ball that everyone insists was "70 ONLY" re-appeared in 74 and was standard on 74 B and E body cars. Early cars may have had the T-handle, but 99% of 74's I've seen had the ball.
The round stick is what is in the '72 SSP I bought off of you...pretty sure it's not original. :lol: I should pull it out and see what the build date is on it.

Perhaps the finally realized that if you actually slap the T handle style stick, it cracks at the base and then falls off.

I broke one on my 73 SSB and replaced it about 36 years ago I hope it is still ok if and when I get the car back on the road
and I will remember not to hit it to hard

The round stick is what is in the '72 SSP I bought off of you...pretty sure it's not original. :lol: I should pull it out and see what the build date is on it.

I think that came from the same Cordoba as those pretty seats...LOL!

Auto Transport Service
Back