• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slight acceleration hesitation driving me mad

One more thing

Looking at that carb list number on the air horn

Pretty sure that is not a factory Holley carb

Would explain the carb linkage issue and hitting the factory intake manifold with a thin four hole gasket

I checked the build sheet and it says it came with Holley 4440a 4 brl but ur right the one I have says 1586, is this an aftermarket version of the one that’s supposed to be on it? When I google Holley 1586 it comes up with what seems to look like the same carburetor as the 4440a, but I’m not too sure.

Still don't know, why your having problems with understanding distributor mechanical advance, and working with the numbers. Anyway...another day.

Bee1971 is giving you some good advice! But, basics have to be dealt with, too.

I get the mechanical advance now. Just was a little confused before with how things were worded, Had the car all timed and dialed in and running great (minus the hesitation) but now I’m convinced it’s something to do with this carb or base gasket, looking at the pic I posted earlier of the base gasket I have on it , it appears to be wet except for in the front where it appears white, I’m wondering if this is a dry spot from air being sucked in, also the gasket doesn’t seem to have an indent in the front like it does around the rest of it, I’m gonna try the suggested spacer or possibly get the correct carb for it. Hopefully soon, I’ll keep you guys posted and thanks for the patients with my learning curve

*update* called Holley to see if the carb I have is the correct one for the car and it seems it’s a random one stuck on it, and requires a different rebuild kit than the 4160 style carb. So I’m assuming this may have something to do with the hesitation as well as what looks like a vacuum leak. I think I’m just gonna get a brand new aftermarket Holley that goes to the car and call it a day. I feel more familiar with the Holley now and wanna keep it close to what it was when new and it ran well before I messed with it these are the two Holley recommend for my car.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetors/classic_holley/parts/0-80457S

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetors/classic_holley/parts/0-1850S

Are the throttle shafts worn where they go through the carb body? Creates a vacuum lack and will seep gas out as well.

I like the idea of getting a new carb so you know that you have all unworn pieces. At last you I've your distributor all squared away.

5EC5F8D7-2E2D-46B5-85CA-12A74F6F0344.jpeg
EA2C72A5-C7B4-496C-A754-77EFD0034ED7.jpeg
*update* think I’m finally out of the woods, bought a new Holley 80457sa carb today and put it on the car, only adjusted the idle mixture screws slightly and probably need to fine tune it still but the hesitation is finally gone. Still need the correct spacer but it will work for now. Can’t thank you guys enough for all the help, knowledge and patients you have given during this whole process I really feel like I learned a ton and know my car even more now. Thank you guys! 394C49AF-276E-49E5-B5CD-7D7FDAEA4608.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back