• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SLP Loudmouth Mufflers on a 360?

Jerseys Finest

Local time
10:38 AM
Reaction score
I'm currently doing a partial restoration on my 1973 Roadrunner with a rebuilt 360 in it with a bigger cam,stock exhaust manifolds(trying to decide on what headers to buy), an aluminum Edelbrock Performer intake topped off with a holley 650cfm double pumper. This is my first car due to me being 19 but back to the topic at hand, I've been wondering on what mufflers to use on the exhaust. My brother has flowmasters on his 5.0 and i'm not really digging them but i've seen the SLP Loudmouths on a few cars around here and was wondering if anybody on here has experimented with them on a small block mopar and if so whether they are worth buying. also need a bit of advice on what size header tube and exhaust pipe to run and what is a good budget header ($200.00-$300.00) to choose from. Thanks, Julius.

Hope you're planning on gears and a stall...that DP isn't going to like street gears very much and your in town mileage is going to suck big time. As for mufflers....I don't like em and run straights on most of my junk. Short of running straights, you might check these out. http://www.classicchambered.com/classic/faq.html
Or you could get a larger diameter pipe and have a shop crimp it for you. The more crimps, the quieter they are but make sure the crimps are not very deep so they don't impede flow.

i had SLP's on my mustang and they sounded great ... not sure how they would do on a mopar ! .... my vote is the s/s magnaflows, great quality and awesome sound .

The Loud Mouths 1's are just resonators arent they ? I know there are 3 versions of them,

Hope you're planning on gears and a stall...that DP isn't going to like street gears very much and your in town mileage is going to suck big time. As for mufflers....I don't like em and run straights on most of my junk. Short of running straights, you might check these out. http://www.classicchambered.com/classic/faq.html
Or you could get a larger diameter pipe and have a shop crimp it for you. The more crimps, the quieter they are but make sure the crimps are not very deep so they don't impede flow.

I'm driving to and from work...that's about it so mileage isn't a big factor to me or else i wouldnt be driving a car with a carb'd v8, and I'm driving with a manual trans so a stall converter is out of the question, and I think straight pipes blow, they always sound like crap imo also I don't want to get pulled over every day to work I mean this is a daily driver.

I think they are literally loud 4 the sake of being loud and they kinda sound the same on everything I have heard,maybe a BB mopar could change that though.

The DP should do fine with the stick then. Speaking of mileage, my 71 340 Cuda got 17 in town with a TQ and 3.55 gears and ran low 14's. Not exactly a ball of fire but the engine wasn't built up either. Had a 66 Mustang 4 gear that got 21 on the highway running 75 with a 600 DP. In town wasn't too good tho. The squirter on em get ya. On the straight pipes....I've been doing it for 40 years and know how to make em sound good.... and good enough to pass inspection...if the guy doesn't look under it lol but I know how to get around that too. I also know how to make em sound ratty as hell for those with the sub woofer crap....shuts em up quick :D I guess you didn't check out that site with the chambered mufflers eh? I rarely follow the crowd and usually end up surprising the naysayers....that's what hot rodding is all about. Innovation.

The DP should do fine with the stick then. Speaking of mileage, my 71 340 Cuda got 17 in town with a TQ and 3.55 gears and ran low 14's. Not exactly a ball of fire but the engine wasn't built up either. Had a 66 Mustang 4 gear that got 21 on the highway running 75 with a 600 DP. In town wasn't too good tho. The squirter on em get ya. On the straight pipes....I've been doing it for 40 years and know how to make em sound good.... and good enough to pass inspection...if the guy doesn't look under it lol but I know how to get around that too. I also know how to make em sound ratty as hell for those with the sub woofer crap....shuts em up quick :D I guess you didn't check out that site with the chambered mufflers eh? I rarely follow the crowd and usually end up surprising the naysayers....that's what hot rodding is all about. Innovation.

Thanks, and yeah I figured a 650cfm wasn't too radical of a carb for the street and this motor is only temporary I'm currently building up a 440 from 1971 to be a 600hp torque monster, but I will check out that site when I get home I'm at work now.

Auto Transport Service
Back