• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small antifreeze leak from bottom of harmonic balancer

Steven Bowers

Local time
11:29 AM
Reaction score
Okay got my 69 Charger started today…on the road finally in 4 plus years…my question is why I have a small drip of antifreeze leaking from the bottom of the pulley / balancer….not to sound too ignorant but does coolant go behind the timing chain plate…..is there a seal that may be dried out….I’m open for some possible solutions….it did not have this leak prior to my refresh detailing I’ve done to it….had the water pump, pulleys fan and radiator all off for detailing….torqued all the bolts down to proper specs…..all new gaskets as well…Fel Pro

It's most likely a very slow leak from water pump or pump housing running down the front onto the shaft of the balancer and off the bottom. No, there is no coolant behind balancer.

Last edited:
It's most likely a very slow leak from water pump or pump housing running down the front onto the shaft of the balancer and off the bottom. No, there is no coolant behind balancer.
Thanks, I’m happy to hear it’s not from a seal, or timing plate….I really hate to take my pump back off and redo it….I put all new gaskets and put some gasket sealer on thinking this combo would work well….I figure it’s safe to say if it leaks now it won’t going away…..I made special care in throughly cleaning all surfaces well….

If it's leaking from the front, or back, of the pump, it needs to be replaced.

Unless you can see a hose or fitting leaking

The weep hole in the water pump is leaking letting you know that the water pump seal has gone bad. You need to replace the water pump.

The weep hole in the water pump is leaking letting you know that the water pump seal has gone bad. You need to replace the water pump.
Can I just replace the part that has the impeller shaft or do I need to replace the entire pump….

Can I just replace the part that has the impeller shaft or do I need to replace the entire pump….
The part w the impeller n shaft "is" the pump. It mounts to a housing. Apparently you are not using a manual. Please stop, download a manual and do it correctly.

If it's a Big block yes. You haven't stated what engine you have. It's a pump and a housing. Just replace the pump.
20170520_144948.jpg

Good news is the leak has stopped….it’s only leaking about 2 to 3 tablespoons….it must be coming from the weep hole….my engine is a 383 HP…..I’m figuring I can replace the front part with the impeller….thanks guys for all of your help….

The part w the impeller n shaft "is" the pump. It mounts to a housing. Apparently you are not using a manual. Please stop, download a manual and do it correctly.
You’re correct….I’m not using a manual…..appreciate your help…

You’re correct….I’m not using a manual…..appreciate your help…
Do you drive in the night with sunglasses on, asking the person sitting next to you where to steer the car ? Please take that in jest, but seriously if you're not well experienced, you should have a FSM to guide you.

Ahh….speaking of driving with sunglasses on at night…..my wife myself and couple from church went out to eat….the gentleman driving did indeed have his sunglasses at night….missed the turn and ran off the road….granted a lesson learn people….don’t drive at night with sunglasses on……

After sitting a long time the ceramic seal will leak and if you are lucky it will heal itself
put some miles on it and keep checking

A lot of people take the seal out with pure antifreeze as they measure in antifreeze then add water or seal is rotated dry
If it continues to leak only option is replace pump

Auto Transport Service
Back