• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small but pleasing surprise during engine change

Longram330

Local time
11:54 AM
Reaction score
Hi Guys!
While removing all of the engine bits and bolts of my '63 Dodge in preparation for another engine, I had to remove the starter , naturally part of the disassembly work is to clean and repaint the components , I started to clean the starter and I noticed the casting date on the starter , it's 1962! which I think would make this the original starter that the car was built with!! Sorry about the date on the picture , I forgot to correct the date !
63dgemine.jpg

Just thought that was really neat!
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG

Nice. Things were built to last back then, no throw away junk as today. They don't even want things for core exchange today.

60 years, not bad these old Mopars.

I used to rebuild starters, generators and alternators quite frequently back in the day! They can live forever!

Yes, not bad at all , the other thing that had me buzzed about this starter is that 1962 was the intro year for the High Speed Reduction gear starter! Chrysler in their ads of the time would mention the starter as a prime engineering achievement, faster starting with less power consumption etc. Over the years all I ever heard was complaints over how the starter sounded , "The Highland Park Humming Bird" was one nickname for this starter ...but to me it was/is Mopar music , the immediate distinct sound of a Chrysler product coming to life ,so here after all these years of defending the efficiency of this one device I end up having one of the First series....I was so tickled about it I had to share my good fortune with other Mopar nuts!

The Chrysler starter has always been music to my ears! ruffcut

NAA,NAA,NAA,NAA !! Best sounding starter in the business.

Dealer parts departments also stocked all the internal parts for those starters. You did not replace those starters with a 'rebuilt' in those days. The mechanic would disassemble your starter and replace individual parts. Typical parts to replace included the endplate & bushing, drive unit, brushes, leather washer, copper contact washer, and one or two others that have slipped my memory at the moment.

I cringe everytime I hear that a Chinese Dakota starter is an "upgrade"....

Dealer parts departments also stocked all the internal parts for those starters. You did not replace those starters with a 'rebuilt' in those days. The mechanic would disassemble your starter and replace individual parts. Typical parts to replace included the endplate & bushing, drive unit, brushes, leather washer, copper contact washer, and one or two others that have slipped my memory at the moment.

Sorry for the intrusion on this thread, but trying to contact Rusty.

Hi Rusty,

I am trying to contact you, but your inbox is full. Please contact me.

Thanks,
Tom

Auto Transport Service
Back