• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sniper EFI Coolant Sensor

Warhorse

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:03 PM
Reaction score
Friends,
I am installing a Holley Sniper EFI system on my stroked 440. The coolant sensor that is provided by the Sniper mounts to the passenger-side water pump housing, the same spot that the OEM sensor mounts to drive the dash coolant temp gauge. Note that this is the 3/8 NPT fitting. On the driver's side is a 1/8" NPT fitting that is currently being used to switch the electric cooling fans. The Sniper has provision to operate two cooling fans, which I would like to use for that purpose. I am hoping that I can find a 1/8" NPT temp sensor that will run the cockpit gauge (as opposed to an idiot light). Does anyone know where I can find such a sensor? It would need to be:

- 1/8" NPT
- Single wire
- resistance range 10 to 73 Ohm (Hot to cold)

A7155286-2793-4397-B9E2-88ADCD54461E.png

Thanx, but it's not clear if this is a thermo switch (for idiot light) or variable resistant type (for gauge)?

Found a possible candidate at the Standard Motor Products website: Coolant sensor TS18. It says it is meant to drive a mechanical temp gauge and is threaded 1/8" NPT. Amazon has it and also lists it for a '68 Charger 440 engine. I'll test it when it arrives.

Not that hard to drill and tap another hole in the water pump housing?
There are also thermostat housing adaptors to add the sensor too.

Friends,
I am installing a Holley Sniper EFI system on my stroked 440. The coolant sensor that is provided by the Sniper mounts to the passenger-side water pump housing, the same spot that the OEM sensor mounts to drive the dash coolant temp gauge. Note that this is the 3/8 NPT fitting. On the driver's side is a 1/8" NPT fitting that is currently being used to switch the electric cooling fans. The Sniper has provision to operate two cooling fans, which I would like to use for that purpose. I am hoping that I can find a 1/8" NPT temp sensor that will run the cockpit gauge (as opposed to an idiot light). Does anyone know where I can find such a sensor? It would need to be:

- 1/8" NPT
- Single wire
All the original temp gauge senders were 1/8npt so I’m not sure what 3/8 npt sender you have.

Friends,

- 1/8" NPT
- Single wire
Can we see photos?

Thanks for all the replies. I discovered a few things in the meantime that confirms much of all the input I have received. Turns out the OEM gauge was connected to the water pump housing, drivers side 1/8 NPT sender and so still operates perfectly. The larger one on the passenger side was actually driving the electric cooling fan that was installed by the restorer. This one has been replaced by the Holley Sniper unit, so now the cooling fan does not operate. The good news is that the Sniper can also control two fans so I have added a relay/fuse panel to take care of that. BTW, the engine fired up successfully for the first time in a year with the new Sniper EFI installed!

Pic of
Thanks for all the replies. I discovered a few things in the meantime that confirms much of all the input I have received. Turns out the OEM gauge was connected to the water pump housing, drivers side 1/8 NPT sender and so still operates perfectly. The larger one on the passenger side was actually driving the electric cooling fan that was installed by the restorer. This one has been replaced by the Holley Sniper unit, so now the cooling fan does not operate. The good news is that the Sniper can also control two fans so I have added a relay/fuse panel to take care of that. BTW, the engine fired up successfully for the first time in a year with the new Sniper EFI install
Thanks for all the replies. I discovered a few things in the meantime that confirms much of all the input I have received. Turns out the OEM gauge was connected to the water pump housing, drivers side 1/8 NPT sender and so still operates perfectly. The larger one on the passenger side was actually driving the electric cooling fan that was installed by the restorer. This one has been replaced by the Holley Sniper unit, so now the cooling fan does not operate. The good news is that the Sniper can also control two fans so I have added a relay/fuse panel to take care of that. BTW, the engine fired up successfully for the first time in a year with the new Sniper EFI installed!
pic of sensor installed?

Auto Transport Service
Back