• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So first time with a high stall converter

Mark1972

Local time
3:49 PM
Reaction score
So I've still got the 2.71 gear until Wednesday when the 3.55 posi goes in. That should change how the car feels during acceleration. But since this is my first high stall converter, at 2800 rpm, should it have a slipping feeling under light acceleration? The shop that is installing the posi also built the tranny and converter, and they will double check the tranny now that they can test drive it. I'm just curious if the slipping feeling is normal.

You will notice it A little especially when cold. 2800 isn’t that bad it will not be anything that needs to alter your driving.

Normal.
How are you getting a GM differential in your Mopar? :poke:

"Sure-grip" You're getting a Sure-grip.

I hate it. My charger doesn't start moving until 1600 RPM; that's with a 440, 727 and a 2-something 8.75 rear end. Converter is rated at 2500 rpm and I bought it because the converter I had before it was too tight and I had a severe hesitation problem because of it...

Sorry, you're correct. It's actually not a Sure-Grip. It's a Yukon Dura-Grip. I'm still running the 8.25. Will it last? Who knows. I'm not abusive and it's a cruiser, not a racer. I got a really good deal on the Yukon unit, so that if it doesn't last, I can put some funds towards an 8.75. At that point it will certainly be a Sure-Grip.

I had a 66 727 rebuilt, and the only convertor I could find(with the 66 and earlier input spline) was a TCI 3500 stall, I had a built 440, with 3.91, and I noticed a lot of what you are describing, during light driving.
I wonder if the 2.71 rear end gear is exaggerating the issue?
As with my previous 727 transmission I had a 2300 stall, and didn't notice any of that.

Make sure you add a trans cooler as the higher stall will make lots of heat when not locked up

I hate it. My charger doesn't start moving until 1600 RPM; that's with a 440, 727 and a 2-something 8.75 rear end. Converter is rated at 2500 rpm and I bought it because the converter I had before it was too tight and I had a severe hesitation problem because of it...

I would ask why you had a hesitation problem but I'm not sure I want to know....

I would ask why you had a hesitation problem but I'm not sure I want to know....

Why, does my crappy charger offend you? Like I posted earlier, the previous converter was too tight. The 2500 rpm converter fixed that problem but with my 2.7? gear the take off is awful...

Last edited:
I was making light of how it was worded, no offense meant or implied, please excuse my humor, your Charger is fine.:lowdown:

Last edited:
That slipping feeling is what makes me hesitant about buying a higher stall converter. I'd read a good quality converter should drive as normal with no slipping feeling, until you stand on it, at which point it would quickly get you into the right rev range for maximum performance. What brand/model converter did you install?

66Sat
In my case it was a TCI Saturday night special, (19 spline) in 3500 stall.
IMO it worked exactly as it should, and it took that convertor for me to learn what stall was too much for me, for the street.
If I just punched it every time I was stopped it would work GREAT, but I wasn't looking to raise hell all the time.

You may feel it depending on the converter. I had one made to my engine specs. PTC through Cope. When cold it will slip a bit but once warm I honestly don't even notice it. 3.55 gears in mine as well. Drives around like a commuter car but when I punch it it really goes.

Normal.
How are you getting a GM differential in your Mopar? :poke:

"Sure-grip" You're getting a Sure-grip.
Posi SG.jpg

The taller the axle gear, the more the converter will feel like it is slipping.

I guarantee it will feel much better with thev3.55s. 2800 is a fairly large stall speed for a regular driver, but shouldn't be too bad with matching gearing, the 2.71s are about the worst possible match.
I bought a new cheap "3000" converter from a terrible company a few years back (long gone, thankfully). It stalled well over 4000, never did lock up, and went down the road at three grand, whether the car was in first, second or third. It was the single worst part I have ever installed in my car.
Lesson.....? Buy the best converter you can afford!

Check out Hughes torque converter videos on you tube. Ep 5, "what is stall speed" is excellent. Among other things , it explains how weight, gearing, and torque affects the stall speed, and the way it drives.

A loose and slippy converter will make the car a pisser to drive.
I had a crappy combination for awhile. At wide open throttle, it was great. The trouble is, I am not a drag racer and I don't spend that much time at WOT. I installed a better converter and the car was transformed.

Auto Transport Service
Back