• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So I picked up a side project... Whew what a doozy..

BeepBeepRR

Local time
7:57 PM
Reaction score
Guy I sold my 440 to wants me to build his original 383 Someone else started working on it but he ended up getting the engine back from the builder with just the bottom end put together with .040 over pistons. Anyhow he brings me a truck load of stuff. But the majority is either missing or he doesnt know where it is.

No heads
No water pump or housing
12 brand new lifters missing 4
New stamped rockers all 16 but no spacers or rocker shafts or hardware to bolt them down.
New oil pan but no gaskets
New intake but no hardware
No intermediate shaft or bushing
the list goes on.... Will update this later when I go through the stuff again.
Oh yea i forgot to add There is a new crank timing chain sprocket and timing chain. But no cam or cam sprocket. No head bolts etc etc the list goes on.

Last edited:
I'm reminded of the old saying regarding the road to hell being paved with good intentions.

Motor building can be a challenge. Not just with missing parts. But with aftermarket parts that don't fit. Or when you get into the race stuff. Many if not all the parts are custom. Every part can affect another in function and clearance. Even stuff that's been together before. Take my current build. Pistons came without gas ports. Had to build a fixture and have them machined. Valve pocket diameter was to small on the intake. The pushrods are now to long due to decking the block and milling heads. The total was less than .015". Fitting a crank scraper on and off the engine at least 5 times. This is a motor that's been together 10 years.
Doug

Maybe you can build a 6 cylinder out of it?
It would be a 293 CI

Guy I sold my 440 to wants me to build his original 383 Someone else started working on it but he ended up getting the engine back from the builder with just the bottom end put together with .040 over pistons. Anyhow he brings me a truck load of stuff. But the majority is either missing or he doesnt know where it is.

No heads
No water pump or housing
New stamped rockers all 16 but no spacers or rocker shafts or hardware to bolt them down.

Make a list of whats missing first....and a list of the cost of finding that stuff, and send him a quote in writing. Your bend and fetch labor is worth a lot.

bang head.gif

Over the years I had a couple of those that were missing lots of parts, not nearly that bad though. I had the advantage of collecting a number of "parts motors" that I salvaged lots of those misc parts from, but still PITA.

As you would expect he said it was a complete engine that needs to be assembled. Well, that’s not true at all lol. I gave him a huge list we will see where he goes with that.

Most of the time. The first problem is they couldn't build it even if the machine work was done correctly and everything fit together the first time. Since they can't build it and they have no fricking idea whats missing or were to find it. So now you get to be parts counter guy, machinist, mechanic and the guy they blame when it doesn't do what they thought it would do. Most people don't have a clue what it takes to just do the job right the first time when they dump every mismatched part Summit and Jegs sell at your feet.

I have my machine guy who helped me plan out my 440 he also did all the machine work. Really good dude and is willing to teach a guy what he needs to know.

aaa yes .. the ol it was all here when i took it apart 15 years ago ....:thumbsup:

Tell him to buy another complete core motor so you have all the parts you need to get his motor back together properly.

This doesn't sound like a project, it sounds like storage. I twitch when I read stories like this......

No heads
No water pump or housing
Been down that road before.....

Motor building can be a challenge. Not just with missing parts. But with aftermarket parts that don't fit. Or when you get into the race stuff. Many if not all the parts are custom. Every part can affect another in function and clearance. Even stuff that's been together before. Take my current build. Pistons came without gas ports. Had to build a fixture and have them machined. Valve pocket diameter was to small on the intake. The pushrods are now to long due to decking the block and milling heads. The total was less than .015". Fitting a crank scraper on and off the engine at least 5 times. This is a motor that's been together 10 years.
Doug
Man....I have some stories too but I'm sure you have had the same ones!! The ones I love are the ones that tell me I don't have the overhead that 'regular' shops have lol

Make a list of whats missing first....and a list of the cost of finding that stuff, and send him a quote in writing. Your bend and fetch labor is worth a lot.
But many do not think that's worth anything. I've told several 'where to go' and it was usually to another shop that charge at least 40% or more than I do. With rear ends, most can't find another shop that do what I do and is one of the reasons why I quit building engines. Way too many engine builders out there that know more than I did but yet couldn't build their own junk if they had to.....

No good deed goes unpunished.......

Wow... Im on 440 source site right now.. I have a shopping cart running with everything he is missing or needs. I wonder if he is ready for the total. lol

I'm not doing this per a budget... But what I can find that is readily available.

I'm up to 2300.00 which includes a pair of stealth heads new head studs and a bunch of other stuff.

Correction.. I missed a few parts from my list. Intermediate shaft and bushing and a new set of lifters and a ready to run 440 source distributor. Also he's donating a priming rod to the tool box. :) 2606.50 before shipping.

Last edited:
i only do mopar or amc, Engines running gear wiring.. and only for folks i know. If ya need it NOW i am not your guy. i do it for fun and help fund my stuff. i do no more than 2 at a time and il call ya when im done. Sense its my butt on whats going on inside the engine il get that stuff..... if something outside the engine itself is missing i let them go get it if i don't have it laying around. bad part is ... i got a soft hart and spend more time helping the waitress with 2 kids on her own and the bartender's keep there junk running so thay can get to work while my junk sits waiting on a new home... lol

Auto Transport Service
Back