• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Solving heat soak gas vaporization with elec fan

Going from a factory 190° thermostat to a 180° and adding a should to my 383 with a stock 7 blade direct drive fan solved my problem, but then I am running stock exhaust manifolds so my experience may be irrelevant.

I wrapped the headers on my 383 I'm sure that helps, it's not super hot when I shut it off.
But I have a hood scoop so the heat can escape when parked.
You could run a pusher fan and still leave the mechanical fan.
I think 5-10 minutes without the engine running would not run down the battery too much.

My 440 with TTI headers and 850 demon would run at or above 200 and boil gas after driving even in nice weather. Switched to an RV 7-blade fan and clutch for more airflow at idle. Tuning was a factor, too. Dialed in mixtures and timing and that helped. Added a 1" phenolic carb spacer and wrapped fuel line with some DEI-brand thick adhesive foil tape stuff, even back at the tank where the line gets around the exhaust. After prolonged driving around town in 100°+ temps it will read 194-195° with the IR gun and no more gurgling at the bowl vents and runs mid-180s most of the year

I blocked the heat crossover with stainless sheet metal at the Valley Cover, installed a 1/2" wood spacer under the carb, added the 440 return line to my 383 RoadRunner with a 22" radiator. Eliminated my problem with "Global Warming".

Auto Transport Service
Back