• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some Dreams DO Come true...

Midpack

Local time
11:11 AM
Reaction score
Hey all you B-Body lovers... here is the "Dream Come True" story you've been waiting for...

As a teenager, I worked at Brandywine C-P in Wilmington, Delaware back in the early 80's. I worked in Parts but started out washing cars and running DMV errands, etc. living the life! LOL! One day a trade came in... a Bright Yellow 73 340 Roadrunner on Cragars and busted air shocks... the paint was so faded you couldn't see the sun in it! Naturally, I fell in love and talked my boss into selling it to me for only $200.00! Yes, you read that right, and keep in mind this was 1982, so it wasn't even a classic yet and already a rusting hulk to boot!

Of course, the obvious rod knock was the reason for the low, low price and the motor was gonna need replacing or rebuilding within a short time... turns out it was about a month. A semi-resurrected pile of rust, true, but it had changed my life to that point and I was still only 17, so let's find a motor!

Through a dealer connection I quickly found a 440/A727 combo sitting on a palette, mileage undetermined, and jammed that sucker in there! Don't worry, though, I bought a big block k-member and engine mounts and scoured the junkyards for parts I could make work. The transplant was successful and... she LIVED!

Rocked around in that car for 2 years but some bad decisions and bad luck forced me to let the 'Bird go for a song (and a used motorcycle). I regretted it immediately and missed that car so badly. Told my story and lamented that car more than a few times... forever out of reach it seemed, and especially as I grew older and the market heated up for classic muscle.

Cut to around 30 cars of varying makes including a '70 Belvedere, a '78 V8 Aspen Coupe, a couple of Hemi-powered Dodge Rams, too, and now, 40 years later, I stumbled across the proto-twin of the car I had worked so hard to create as a teenager! A factory big-block Roadrunner, in yellow, with bucket seats, a console with a slap stick, a tach, gauges, and absolutely drop dead gorgeous!

It took only 3 short weeks from spotting her to putting her in the garage. At last.

She's a beauty and a show-stopper. A head turner and a neck-snapper! The smile on my face and in my heart tells me it was the right decision.

See you down the road, and on these pages! Beep! Beep!

Midpack Mike

IMG_3097.jpg

IMG_4029.jpg

IMG_4030.jpg

IMG_4032.jpg

IMG_4034.jpg

Congrats. Looks like the RR on the Dukes of Hazzard

Welcome from South Florida. Nice ride and great story. Good to hear that you found your dream car.

Welcome aboard Mike!! Congratulations on acquiring your 'new' dream car & thanks for sharing your story and photos.

aa misc (67)c1.jpg

Welcome aboard from PA!

I drove my yellow 73 (with a stroked 416 ci 340) across country - they are great cars - enjoy yours!

20220525_072549.jpg

20220614_113541(0).jpg

20220615_110300.jpg

Welcome FBBO from Ontario, Mike. Great story and pictures!

Welcome from South Florida. Nice ride and great story. Good to hear that you found your dream car.
Thank you, Copper! I can't say I searched forever, but I will say when the opportunity presented itself, I'm glad I was ready. Freaking love the sound of that big block firing up!!!

Welcome from Alabama, great story, and so glad you have the blast from the past making you happy.

Did you also play the lottery that day?

:thumbsup:

Awesome car Mike, and a great story to boot. Welcome to FBBO, glad to have you within our ranks.

Auto Transport Service
Back