• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

...Some things to sort out on my 64 Polara

md71631

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:00 AM
Reaction score
Hi, just bought the car last week. It has been set up for street strip with 4:10's 833 4 speed, stuff like that.... it has a Gear Vendors OD unit but it's kicking in and out on its own and I unhooked it.... I'm thinking wiring and am going to relocate the switch off the Hurst T shifter to a fixed off on switch. The other thing I don't know about is the rear suspension. It looks to be a composite mono leaf set up but thinking its a racing thing not a street cruise thing. The car was reasonable priced and the foundation is just what I wanted. Also the there is lots of noise from the rear suspension when driving around with clunks and bangs and such.... anyone recognize this set up? Thanks....

also I'm new on here and are all the ads normal all the time?

IMG_1427.jpg

IMG_1428.jpg

Become a gold member and ads go away.

Yes that's a CalTrac suspension system which is great, but for street cruising you could remove the link bars. That's where the banging is coming from.

ok that's some good info there ya...... I wondered if those were the culprits...... I shall take them off and see what that does... I'm also going to put Dynamat in the trunk and a replica of the OEM plaid floor cover...... thanks again for the help......

Is that inner shackle binding on the side of the frame? Or camera angle? That would definitely make some noise. Where are the pictures of the rest of the car?

Just got the car and that whole set up is a mystery to me.... I downloaded the instructions but I think there was a lot of geometry involved so I started to zone out a bit....... might have been the Whiskey..... I have a lot to learn about dis car.....

505 CI.... 833 4 Sp Dana 60 4:10 Gear Vendors OD.... Detroit Locker......

IMG_1430.jpg

received_360441068823454_960130764057275.JPEG

Did you receive the operators manual for the GV OD? If not you should purchase one.
Mike

I'm wondering if the previous owner put the wrong length springs on for the application.
The rear shackles should be closer to vertical at rest, in the picture they appear to be shoved all the way aft...that will definitely make some noise as the car tries to settle after takeoff.

I'm wondering if the previous owner put the wrong length springs on for the application.
The rear shackles should be closer to vertical at rest, in the picture they appear to be shoved all the way aft...that will definitely make some noise as the car tries to settle after takeoff.
I agree and after looking the through bolt in the shackle looks like it's moving around. To the OP that is a Clean looking car!! Congrats.

1710109369877.png

The rearward angle is not concerning, but coupled with the offset(?!), to the outside it looks like it could bind on the framerail.
I can only guess they were trying to fit an axle with a wider perch distance. Definitely weird.

Edit.. ok I see the springs were inboarded,, and then out boarded again.. still a bit weird.

The shackles are in the correct location. They should be faxing rearward.
ok that's some good info there ya...... I wondered if those were the culprits...... I shall take them off and see what that does... I'm also going to put Dynamat in the trunk and a replica of the OEM plaid floor cover...... thanks again for the help......
You can't simply remove the Cal Trac bars. The entire system is designed as a unit. The springs will wrap up on acceleration. They arent designed to be used without the bars. It's an excellent set up. I'd contact Gear Vendors and Calvert racing for proper instructions.
Doug

6 years with 4 track championships. No bars. No spring wrap. 500hp or less.
Just the facts.

6 years with 4 track championships. No bars. No spring wrap. 500hp or less.
Just the facts.
No spring wrap using Calvert composite single leaf springs? They are only designed to hold the car up, nothing more.
Doug

No spring wrap using Calvert composite single leaf springs? They are only designed to hold the car up, nothing more.
Doug
No sir. No wrap, no hopping, no nothing. I've watched . By composite I assume you mean split? They are steel. The way some of the stockers describe them is the front segment is more of a stiff ( ladder bar type) of attachment and the rear half is what's holding the car up. The springs that were on it would wrap up pretty bad. These calverts came out of an A/SA car , so they've been worked hard, but look and perform like new.

thanks for the help.... I am calling Caltrac today.... on the first picture where the 2 springs overlap each other under the axel... do those move front to back if you loosen the bolts up? so by changing the axel length by moving the rear shackles forward and slipping the back spring under the front spring further.... it looks like there are 2 individual springs... a front one and a rear one and they overlap each other at the axel...... hmmmm........ the car rides well... but all kinds of banging and clunking.....

Can you show a pic of the front spring hanger? It would be nice to know why there's an offset rear shackle.( that looks like it's binding and making noise along with the Calvert bars).
And on the bars themselves... you can just back them off to alleviate the banging. Or remove the pin that rides on top of the leaf.

certainly a beautiful car ! once you get the wrinkles ironed you sure to be one happy cruzer!

They will not split and extend, one bolt hole. Unless the rear shackle has moved far enough to allow the spring eye to hit the frame there is no need to move it. We race with Cal Tracs. Calvert will set you straight. Trust me if you hit the suspension hard enough , it will bend the spring with no lower bar installed.
Doug.

Auto Transport Service
Back