• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Something you Remember... but Why ?

The level of excitement I think is what sets it in stone, I can remember being 3-4 yrs old running my go kart on a local track, I remember the Christmas we got our first dirt bikes and I'll never forget the first time I played with boobies!

I've been pondering this myself lately. When I have a memory or feeling associated with it, it is much more likely to retain such detail for recollection at a later time. Found this true with smells, tastes, music... A wise man once told me "Nick, you may not remember the person's name but you'll never forget how they made you feel". This has been a fact for me.
Excellent point ! For example, as a 15 yr old teenager we were all hanging out one evening. One of the girls Cathy was going home, so I asked her if I could walk her home. As we did, we started kidding and playing, she was holding something of mine and wouldn't give it back. So we started tussling in this parking lot we were passing through, and started making out. It was wonderful ! She lived on the other side of the neighborhood, never saw her again. An isolated event that, to this day, I vividly recall.

The level of excitement I think is what sets it in stone, I can remember being 3-4 yrs old running my go kart on a local track, I remember the Christmas we got our first dirt bikes and I'll never forget the first time I played with boobies!
Another good point ! As the Christmas I got my Aurora Model Motoring slot car set !!!!

Excellent point ! For example, as a 15 yr old teenager we were all hanging out one evening. One of the girls Cathy was going home, so I asked her if I could walk her home. As we did, we started kidding and playing, she was holding something of mine and wouldn't give it back. So we started tussling in this parking lot we were passing through, and started making out. It was wonderful ! She lived on the other side of the neighborhood, never saw her again. An isolated event that, to this day, I vividly recall.
Point proven...perfect lol

On the other side of an isolated event that left an indelible mark. I was maybe 8 or so years old ? My mom took me to a street in the neighborhood filled with people. I saw a flag-covered casket going into the church. I asked her what's going on ? She said that's Cousin (forget name), he was killed in Vietnam.

Yeah, certain events stick completely recalling all the gritty details; was in 3rd grade when JFK was assassinated, a plant explosion where I worked in 1985, 911, the deaths of my folks, like they happened last week. Other memories are clearly there; but more like snapshots as opposed to video footage in the brain of certain events. A few people have remarkable memory recall. They remember everything about every day in their lives! Marilu Henner, from the Taxi show is one of these people catching a documentary about this. Mind boggling how they have the recall. It’s been purported that we only use about 10% of our brains. Who knows? I can't remember.

I can remember the license numbers of my parents two cars, from when I was five. The gave me those little license plate thingies that you were supposed to put on your key ring if you lost them. Black letters on yellow, pre 1963 california.
Got NO idea what ANY of my current cars plates are.

My wife is very quick to remind me " You can remember things in detail from 20-30 years ago, but why can't you remember what I said 2 minutes ago !"

My wife is very quick to remind me " You can remember things in detail from 20-30 years ago, but why can't you remember what I said 2 minutes ago !"

guilty as charged..... I can't remember what I wasn't listening to in the first place

YES !! Another strange thing, I can also recall my home number when I was a kid, and my friends phone numbers. Why do we remember such things ?
Because we can! I remember my first driver's license number that I haven't had in over 40+ years, screw every one I've had since.

My mother had the remarkable recall of many things my dad never remembered and it’s the same with me. My wife reminds me of all sorts of stuff I have zero recollection of, especially times when I was an asshole. I know I can be one; but maybe I’ve tried to forget it, lol.

One time my mother was telling us about their brief honeymoon in TN, married by a Justice of the Peace. As usual, my dad said nada, he was never a talker anyway. My mom tried to prod his recollection of their honeymoon. He said “Only thing I remember is us being buck-naked in the motel room.” My mother was NOT amused..

I'll challenge my wife in regards to details of the last 3+ decades together. I used to be far more successful than I am these days. But too many times lately she'll find a picture that'll prove me wrong and I walk away with my tail between my legs. "Yes dear" has become a more and more common part of my vocabulary to say the least.

Ha. I left NY decades ago. When I lived there I had a problem with getting pulled over. Must have had my driver license number out so often I still remember the number. R0943143215XXXXXX-58.

About 60 years ago dad and me were coming back from Niagara Falls I said that license plate is easy to remember. An hour later he asked what was that plate number? Me 4J5000 still remember why god knows.

Yeah, certain events stick completely recalling all the gritty details; was in 3rd grade when JFK was assassinated, a plant explosion where I worked in 1985, 911, the deaths of my folks, like they happened last week. Other memories are clearly there; but more like snapshots as opposed to video footage in the brain of certain events. A few people have remarkable memory recall. They remember everything about every day in their lives! Marilu Henner, from the Taxi show is one of these people catching a documentary about this. Mind boggling how they have the recall. It’s been purported that we only use about 10% of our brains. Who knows? I can't remember.
Yes, certain worldly events come to mind. It's those little "personal" events, unique to each of us, that somehow imprint an unforgettable moment we always remember, no matter how long ago.

Bought a 71 Cuda, factory ordered, back in the dinosaur days, and kept it for 45 years.
Why i can remember the VIN number back in my brain, and why i made an effort to remember it, i don't know.
Now i use it as a security code, that i feel nobody is ever going to figure out, for entry onto one of my web sites.

Auto Transport Service
Back