• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sonic testing

Garys1969RR

Local time
11:02 AM
Reaction score
Building a 512, and not sure how thick the cyl walls are on the 400 block. Don't have a sonic tester, and the Block Shop doesn't either. So what to do? Never tested 1 before, and never had a problem. What is the minimum thickness you want on the major thrust area of the cyl wall? How much for a basic tester, and where do you get them? It will be .035 Over on the bore, so I'm taking .017" off each side of the cyl wall. That's not much.

In the same boat as you. But I finally found a outfit that does it near me. 125 of all holes.
I was about to just wang it and build it and hope for the best. I've seen people talk about actually being able to see the core shift by looking at the cam hole and trans mounting holes. I know none of this answered your question or helped.

In the same boat as you. But I finally found a outfit that does it near me. 125 of all holes.
I was about to just wang it and build it and hope for the best. I've seen people talk about actually being able to see the core shift by looking at the cam hole and trans mounting holes. I know none of this answered your question or helped.

Did yours test Ok? What block did you use? 230, 530 or 630?

Building a 512, and not sure how thick the cyl walls are on the 400 block. Don't have a sonic tester, and the Block Shop doesn't either. So what to do? Never tested 1 before, and never had a problem. What is the minimum thickness you want on the major thrust area of the cyl wall? How much for a basic tester, and where do you get them? It will be .035 Over on the bore, so I'm taking .017" off each side of the cyl wall. That's not much.
The older castings have a higher nickel content pre 1972 and have been found to have thicker walls. Going .030 over on a stock bore regardless of the casting year isn’t going to get you in trouble, pretty standard actually.

I would never be afraid to go 0.060 if stock replacement pistons (Sealed Power) offered it. Rule of thumb minimum wall is 0.125", so I don't think you should worry. I bought a sonic tester, and only used it once . The one I got was $1500, but they did have a basic one for about $850.

http://dakotaultrasonics.com/product/racing/pr-82-sonic-tester/

Doing a '55 331 Hemi that we plan to map the cylinders to see if we can bore it to std 354.

I went 30 over on a 440 with nothing excessive and blew out a cylinder wall. Turns out the machine shop didn't sonic check the bores. Trashed the block right there. Wait and keep calling shops this is not a step to skip.

Even my old block was at 0.128 after the bore according to the shop and on to the new block

Last edited:
20190307_162638.jpg
20190307_162658.jpg
Wow! .128 is too thin, it seems. Here's the readings on the block we are going to use. #2 at .186 up top on the major thrust side is the thinnest. Should be ok, even with another .030 bore to 60 over. That Takes .015 off each side, so it would be at .171, which is the bare minimum.

Last edited:
View attachment 731895 View attachment 731896 Wow! .128 is too thin, it seems. Here's the readings on the block we are going to use. #2 at .186 up top on the major thrust side is the thinnest. Should be ok, even with another .030 bore to 60 over. That Takes .015 off each side, so it would be at .171, which is the bare minimum.
Thanks for posting that pic. I finally found a race shop close to me to sonic test my 400. I'll be showing them this picture of how I want my results. Thanks again.

I run .035 bore to the standard 451 build. (About 650 horse 12.5 compression build) Thats been a very successful setup. No sonic test.

I run .035 bore to the standard 451 build. (About 650 horse 12.5 compression build) Thats been a very successful setup. No sonic test.
Yes, on the first 451, I got lucky and found a stock bore 400 block. This truck block is already .030 over, and I'm not sure if it will clean up at .040. May have to go .060 over. Waiting for them to check it before I order pistons. And I DO like the higher C Ratios. Sure helps alot at 5400 feet!

Auto Transport Service
Back