• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sound deadner

So, when you do under the dash like that, do you not use the factory insulation pieces that go under there? leave it off? Or underneath? And when you doing this, you lay the wires on top right?
I purchased butyl backed insulation from Rona, came by the roll. Did the floor and part way up the firewall.
Bought shoddy pad material to do put it wherever the old material was ie underside of the dash etc. Came from DMT via National Moparts. Used my original firewall insulation pieces.
Floor wiring I put on top of the butyl insulation,
Hope this helps you decide on how you want it.

I got rid of all the stock-style insulation and used this. The squares make it easy to install, it's super easy to cut to shape, but the adhesive is very sticky. Once it's in place you're not going to move it without tearing it up. I put it right on top of the sound deadener on the firewall, doors and floors. It's only about 4-5mm thick, but does a really great job of heat insulation.

Amazon product ASIN B07TKXMPH7

That's considered heat shielding, not sound deadener. Yes, it will deaden sound a little, but not the same thing.
My exhaust dumps before rear end and it made a huge difference in sound after installation so for the price it was well worth it

So, when you do under the dash like that, do you not use the factory insulation pieces that go under there? leave it off? Or underneath? And when you doing this, you lay the wires on top right?
Yeah I didn't want to put that jute padding back in the car, I hate that stuff, seems like it starts breaking down as soon as it's installed. The wires, heater box and all the other stuff fits like normal...
l
266.jpg

It is interesting to see the foil backed butyl used so extensively. I remember when these products first came out, one of the companies had a video showing that it worked like a sound wave shock absorber. The demo had something like a one-foot square piece on the inside of a door skin. They would rap a door without the deadener with something hard so you could hear the loud bang, then do it again on a door with the square on it and it was a dull thump sound. I will probably do the whole floor and firewall too, but I just wonder if it is serious overkill.
I have always been afraid of doing the inside of the roof, so it was good to read on here that it still adheres even on hot metal.

Last edited:
KILMAT all the way. Best bang for the buck. All brands are essentially foil lined butyl. It's not rocket science. Duramat, etc. are just ripping people off.
Before I lined a roof I did a variety of heat tests with a heat gun and a torch on a scrap piece of metal. The heat made it stick harder. We have used it on three builds now. Good ****.
It comes in several different thicknesses.

Amazon product ASIN B0751CBXBT
So how many packages of the stuff to do the whole car? 50mil and 80 mil. Two of the 80 and one of the 50 do the trick for full coverage? Including the doors??

Yeah I didn't want to put that jute padding back in the car, I hate that stuff, seems like it starts breaking down as soon as it's installed. The wires, heater box and all the other stuff fits like normal...
lView attachment 1380695
Thanks for the reply. So how many packages of the Kilmat to do the whole car with the doors and roof included? You used 80 mil yes? Would you have used the 50 mil for the upper parts as others have mentioned??

Thanks for the reply. So how many packages of the Kilmat to do the whole car with the doors and roof included? You used 80 mil yes? Would you have used the 50 mil for the upper parts as others have mentioned??
I used 2 full boxes of 80 mil. and had a couple of squares left over plus the trimmings. Was able to do the roof, firewall and floors, didn't do the doors or quarter panels. I sprayed the inner doors and quarter panels with body Schults from 3M kinda like the factory did.
I guess if you want to do the doors (and quarter panels?) you'll probably need 3 boxes... maybe go with the thinner (50 mil) on the doors and quarters?

Thanks for the reply 68Mmc. I sprayed the inner doors with Sprayable seam sealer. Still clunky sounding but the cars far from together. I think I'll pick up Two 80mil for the floors and two 50 mil for the upper sections. Should give me lots. Hands down. I hate running out of stuff when I get going on a job. If I have (should have lots left) I'll do the doors of my roadrunner. Once more thank you.

So how many packages of the stuff to do the whole car? 50mil and 80 mil. Two of the 80 and one of the 50 do the trick for full coverage? Including the doors??
Good question. The answer is I don't know, I have never kept track. Doing the whole car is a loaded question. What constitutes the whole car? Put it where you see fit. I have always just bought a box or two and used it until it was running low then ordered more. Amazon. Delivered in a day or two.
I would buy a box of 60 and a box of 80 and go to work. The 60 works a little better in tight spots. We used 60 on roofs because the thought was that it was a little lighter and less chance of delaminating. My heat test debunked that thought. As stated above, heat makes it stick better so why not do 80 all the way around.
Save the scraps. They always come in useful for unique spots.

It's made in Russia BTW, if that matters to you. One thing about the Russians, they don't **** around. :lol:

Last edited:
I've been looking at sound deadner so I thought I would ask everyone what their preference is. Please tell me what brand and why you choose it.
Thanks
Amazon basics 2mm butyle with foil topper. The Amazon writing comes off with thinner easy. Amazon Basics Car Sound Deadener, 14.5″ x 10″, (10 count)Pack of 1 https://a.co/d/2KSWX4x

I did the firewall and floor of the GTX with FatMat early last fall when I replaced the carpet. Then I installed ACC mass backed carpet which has considerably more material thickness than the 23 year old ACC carpet it replaced. Interior resonance was noticeably better. If it helps to reduce interior temps in midsummer, it will be well worth the effort and expense.

I had material left over from a 150 square foot roll…

I have read things as well that say put a strip here, a square there, just to dull the sound. As relatively inexpensive as this stuff is why not wallpaper the hell out of things unless you're worried about weight.

IMG_2800.jpg
IMG_2458.jpg
IMG_2459.jpg
IMG_2511.jpg

Two products off Amazon I am working with . The lettering on the Amazon butylene back foil come off with solvents. Silver is a closed cell foam with adhesive and foil on other side. Blue isn't thick but made a considerable difference. Firewall, ceiling doors. Silver is going over the butylene on ceiling and lining floor under carpeting. For price point pretty happy with these products. Amazon Basics Car Sound Deadener, 14.5″ x 10″, (10 count)Pack of 1 https://a.co/d/7FI2dKx
279 mil 15.7"x9.8" Heat Shield Insulation Mat Noise Control Sound Deadener Pad with Aluminum for Automotive Door Hood Floor (10Pcs) https://a.co/d/65dtTh0

IMG_20221228_102908143.jpg

IMG_20221228_102858886.jpg

IMG_20221228_103655201.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back