• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

South side lift bars

wedge69

Local time
10:58 PM
Reaction score
qc1.jpgAnyone ever use southside traction bars ?
I have a set with my new SS springs and was wondering if thay will work good for a pro streeet set up ?

I've never seen anyone I know use them... BUT with the S/S springs shouldn't need anything except a adj. pinion snubber, if you got the room anyway... I see your photography skills are about as good as mine... he he ha ha... I see allot of Mustangs & Camaros use them, when I did a google search... South Side Machine "Lift Bars" is what it looks like you have the traction bars are just like most all others, seems the GM & Mustang guys like them, I've never used them...

Attachments

• Rear Suspension Axle Wrap Under Acceleration Example.jpg
    Rear Suspension Axle Wrap Under Acceleration Example.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,121
  • Rear Suspension South Side Machine Traction Bars Instructions. #2.jpg
    Rear Suspension South Side Machine Traction Bars Instructions. #2.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 526
  • Rear Suspension South Side Machine Traction Bars Instructions.jpg
    Rear Suspension South Side Machine Traction Bars Instructions.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 254
  • Rear Suspension Pinion Angle.jpg
    Rear Suspension Pinion Angle.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 323
Yea I got my geomitry down and I am going to modify the front with an adjustible snubber. I don't have the provision to use a pinion snubber with my QC rear. So this is what I am thinking of useing to control axle / spring wrap.
I use to use this type bar on my 69 stang for drag racing and thay work real well. So with alittle tunning I am hopeing to get them to work on the runner.
Thanks bud !
Tj

I figured you'd know that stuff...LOL... it was instruction I found when looking to see what the heck they even were, figure I'd post them up... I'm sure they can be made to work, for the most part anyway...

Yea I like the Cal-Tracs but to costly for me at this point. With these hitting rite under the front spring eye thay should plant the rear down just rite.
Also running a 50/50 shock to help pull the weight of the body down.
Was in the shop today and finaly figured out my steering rack to spindle deal. Mad steel sleeves to weld to the pinto outter tie rods and take stock B/body tie rod ends. Now on to the next part ! LOL!!!

From experience with early Mustangs, 'slapper' bars work pretty good. And you have the right idea with them making contact with the eye and not behind it. I've seen so many people use the one size fits all traction bars with the rubber bumper contacting the spring behind the eye and that will bend the spring. What kind of a rear end are you using?

I know all too well about the green stuff. The first part of the year was going like gang busters and now I'm back to watching my expenses......

IMG_4207.jpgEveryone I ever talked to said they were just window dressing on a Mopar with s/s springs due to the snubber and the springs being designed with more leaves on the right side to handle torque. They were great on Camaros and Mustangs that were designed differently. I think Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins was credited for coming up with the first set. I am not sure that I ever remember seeing a Mopar drag car with traction bars back in the day. They are a fair chunk of weight if they provide no benefit to your setup otherwise. My 67 GTX had a set of Lakewood slappers on it when I bought it and removing them and selling them to a guy building a Chevy S10 pickup was one of the first things I did. The guy I bought the car from just liked the look, but I though they screamed "poser" on a basically stock drive train.

with ss springs you don't use the pinion snubber,the sslbars work very well,even on a mopar with the 22in front spring segment.

Auto Transport Service
Back