• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spare Tire space below Dakota pickup box

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:22 AM
Reaction score
Anyone having a pickup putting on larger wheels, encounter lack of space for holding the larger wheel spare? I went with 17” Ram wheels on my Dakota stock 16”. Damn, the space for this 1” change isn’t enough. Have the short-bed quad cab. Tire squeezes against the muffler and trailer hitch frame. Being AWD need to have the same diameter tire. The hitch frame was crunched down after getting rear-ended in May. Estimating where it belongs, still looks as not enough space. Truck is going in for repairs end of the month.

A new spare receiver is going to be installed and wondering if it can be repositioned by slotting holes as there looks to be enough slack forward and left. Looks like a possibility, only guessing. Anyway, thought I’d ask if anyone has encountered this and found a solution. Laughable, how much space is lost having the spare in the box.

What year?

R/T had 255/55/17 spare in that area.

Auto Transport Service
Back