• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spark plug choice

old guys rule

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:13 AM
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations for spark plug choice for a 440 with 8.2 to 1 compression. Also, has anyone had any experience with
Pulstar plugs? Mild Street build, manual trans.

NGK for the one hundredth time. :)
WHY????.....Why not consider: AC, AUTOLITE, CHAMPION, E3, MOPAR P34P, LODGE, BERU, BOSCH plus the internet is wealth of information about many NOS brands, heat ranges, gap configurations and electrode alloys, resistor or supressor configuration, etc. The origional plugs were likely Champion J-11Y or Mopar P34P. Current equilivant to reach, thread size and heat range will, or should, furnish satisfactory performance and longevity for your application. Now begins the "my is the only way because I said so" war of words battle.....think about it.....
BOB RENTON

With that engine, don't go spending a fortune on any of those "exotic" spark plugs - they're a waste
of money on such.
A new set of the factory plugs (Champions) in your choice of resistor type or not will serve you fine.

OK, I'll bite.
Champions fowl easier than a left handed batter on the right side of the plate.
For the 101th time, NGK!!

OK, I'll bite.
Wouldn't that be 101st?
Sorry to hijack the thread but should I change my tapered roller bearings for Green bearings?

J-11y’s all day long. No need to reinvent the wheel.

J-11y’s all day long. No need to reinvent the wheel.
Put'm in once and forget'm. I doubt I'll ever need my spares...
20221125_141116.jpg

NGK plugs in a 5 heat range.

I tried Pulstar plugs, as ign systems have always interested me. Idle was noticeably smoother with the P plugs. One of them started misfiring after a few months, went back to reliable NGKs. Maybe I was just unlucky?

Wouldn't that be 101st?
Sorry to hijack the thread but should I change my tapered roller bearings for Green bearings?
SURE.....If you want the rear wheels to fall off.....euphemistically speaking.....why re-invent a situation that does not require intervention......in spite of what others think, say or do.....
BOB RENTON

OK, I'll bite.
This is without any substantiation.....with absolutely no thought given to a poor ignition system or coil output, incorrect ignition timing, poor fuel mixture distribution and metering, incorrect initial spark plug heat range selection, poor installation practice.....why not blame fouling problems on the day of the month, phase of the moon, owner's ineptitude, or the D-F-L syndrome.....or the "I know more than anyone else on the planet" complex.......
BOB RENTON

These threads are always hilarious and fun.
And always end up at the same place. NGK.
But some will fight tooth and nail till the end.

WELL,alright. At 73years, I’ve never personally had problems with Champions; but never say never. No animosity intended.

Auto Transport Service
Back