• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spark plug wire set recommendations?

hunt2elk

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:25 PM
Reaction score
Well I'm getting to the point on my Charger restoration that I need to find a nice set of plug wires and am wondering what you guys are using. 440, stock electronic ignition upgrade, 440 Source heads - so they have the straight plugs like stockers, TTI 1 7/8 headers. Is there a kit made up that will fit this application? I would like to upgrade to 8mm and do have the factory metal brackets, but don't have to use them if there is a better way to route the wires.

Check out the MSD Streetfire wire set part #5531. I'm using them on the 440 in the old Belvedere in the stock brackets. They are 8mm black with straight spark plug boots. They are a little tight on the passenger side header but so far they haven't shown any signs of burning. They aren't exactly stock looking, but close enough. Summit has them for about $36.

http://www.firecore50.com/index.html
By far the best wires you will ever by. Don't even consider anything else. Worth every penny. Outstanding customer service. Tell them your setup and you won't be disappointed.

- - - Updated - - -

I've routed mine just like the factory. Using all the mounting bracket. Been using the http://www.firecore50.com/index.html wires from the beginning.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 483
I'll second the Firecore 50 wires. Real good wire and like Copper mentioned, outstanding customer service. Give'em a ring. They'll custom cut them for your application or supply an OEM length.

512 stroker.jpg

I'll second the Firecore 50 wires. Real good wire and like Copper mentioned, outstanding customer service. Give'em a ring. They'll custom cut them for your application or supply an OEM length.

View attachment 158565

Are those custom cut Will? Are all 8 using 45* ends? I was thinking straights would work the best, but maybe not after seeing yours.

I've never used them but if they say they're that good I'll believe them because I've had nothing but trouble with wires. I'm running MSD's that have a bendable boot, they fit good but are hard to get on because the terminals tend to move around in the boot "I won't be using them again". I've personally always liked Taylor wires but have never used them on a Mopar.

Are those custom cut Will? Are all 8 using 45* ends? I was thinking straights would work the best, but maybe not after seeing yours.

I'm using the 45* ends on all 8 Joel, and fitment is good with the Doug's 2" Headers. I'm running eddy heads, so my plugs are angled. The set I have are a universal set for Big Block Mopar. Not exact to factory spec's, but the length is still sufficient for the mod's vs. OEM without stretching too short or leaving a bunch of slack dangling all over the engine bay. I'd give them a ring if you do plan on getting a set. They'll ask what's bolted on your motor and work with you on options to get the best configuration.

I'm using the 45* ends on all 8 Joel, and fitment is good with the Doug's 2" Headers. I'm running eddy heads, so my plugs are angled. The set I have are a universal set for Big Block Mopar. Not exact to factory spec's, but the length is still sufficient for the mod's vs. OEM without stretching too short or leaving a bunch of slack dangling all over the engine bay. I'd give them a ring if you do plan on getting a set. They'll ask what's bolted on your motor and work with you on options to get the best configuration.

Thanks Will - I am going to give them a call after the holidays.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree,might try his distributor also:blob1:

I'm thinking I will check into this also. I sure wish I had known about them before my current distributer fiasco.

Check out the MSD Streetfire wire set part #5531. I'm using them on the 440 in the old Belvedere in the stock brackets. They are 8mm black with straight spark plug boots. They are a little tight on the passenger side header but so far they haven't shown any signs of burning. They aren't exactly stock looking, but close enough. Summit has them for about $36.

I used Streetfires on mine as well. Very happy with them.

I buy the Accel 8mm that you make you own lengths that way they fit the way I want them to.
I just wen to that fire core site and if you can make heads or tales out of that site let me know???

I have always used the Taylors and have never had any problem or failures, currently using the Taylor Thundervolt 8.5 on all my Mopars..

+1 to the crowd for Firecore. Head over to dodgecharger.com and drop Ron a line, his screen name is firefighter3931. He'll set you up with a custom cut set for 440's running headers, saw a thread on this topic over there and everyone had nothing but great things to say about his firecore sets. About to install mine now too :icon_thumleft:

+1 to the crowd for Firecore. Head over to dodgecharger.com and drop Ron a line, his screen name is firefighter3931. He'll set you up with a custom cut set for 440's running headers, saw a thread on this topic over there and everyone had nothing but great things to say about his firecore sets. About to install mine now too :icon_thumleft:

Yep...Got my Firecore dist from Ron. Plan on getting the wires too. He is excellent to work with and if you have any tech questions he's full of knowledge.

I just PM'd him also. How much do a set for 440 with magnum manifolds run? .. or how much did your set set you back?

I just PM'd him also. How much do a set for 440 with magnum manifolds run? .. or how much did your set set you back?

Hell it's been a while but I wanna say it was $120 shipped for the set. And I'm not sure if he has a separate set of lengths for running manifolds, but like Gpuller said he's a really nice knowledgeable guy so I'm sure he'll get you set up!

Auto Transport Service
Back