• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spark plugs with msd 6AL

69XMan

Local time
7:56 PM
Reaction score
I just switched over to MSD digital 6AL and pro billet distributor. 69 Plymouth gtx with 440. What spark plugs should I be running? Seems like a cheap copper one is what I’m reading because it will keep cooler with the multiple spark. Anyone have a successful plug they recommend?

I always ran the NGK V-Fire basic plug. Depending on heads and usage you can chose projected or non-projected tip. Stay away from the fine wire tip.

I've always used the same plugs as I did before adding an MSD6.
I generally use Champions; though the quality appearance of NGKs is nicer, I haven't seen a performance advantage.
For non-stock/non-restoration applications, the F150 epoxy coil & pigtail (about $40 @ AutoZone) is great.
Quicker light-off than any other coil I've used.

I believe the heads are stock. I have not measured the compression of the engine. Iv owned the car a bit over a year.
J10Y in old days or UJ10Y
Now RJ10YC I believed is what they supercede to now
Gap between .035 and .040 I like the blaster coil on a street car (040 with it)

J10Y in old days or UJ10Y
Now RJ10YC I believed is what they supercede to now
Gap between .035 and .040 I like the blaster coil on a street car (040 with it)
Thank you. I am running blaster coil. The car ran pretty well before my conversion project. But now I can’t get the timing right and it running smooth. I can get it to idle but backfires when revving up. Using the timing light it seems like it is wanting to idle at like 20*+ btdc. But hard on the starter. I initially thought I would have initial timing around 12* or so.

There is nothing negative about fine wire plugs, except the price.
They:
- last muuuuch longer
- require less arc over voltage, so will fire when a conventional plug might misfire
- because of the reduced voltage requirement, the hot rodder can run a larger gap to expose more mixture to the spark

Try putting the lightest springs that came with the distributor.
Silver Fine Wire.

Silver Fine Wire? I doubt it. The thin wire/electrode requires a very high melting point, which is why Platinum, Iridium, Yttrium etc are used. Silver has a low MP.

I use the copper cores and open em way up to 50. That MSD will jump the Grand Canyon if needed.

Update. I put NGK plugs in and custom made a MSD 90 boot to go on the plug. Problem is the header burned up the boot. Can in put an Accel shorty plug in the #5 & 6 cylinder? Or should I go through the trouble to notch the headers? Or try to find a smaller boot? The MSD boot is a bit large.

Auto Transport Service
Back