• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speaker suggestions for a decent sound system

It's all under there, keeps the boat from kiting!
100_0017.JPG

did anyone think to ask the OP if his speakers are in good working order?

Not sure about California but FL is extremely hard on foam.
I will NOT buy speakers in FL if they have foam surrounds.
Unfortunately this rules out Kicker for me.
Rubber, cloth or even paper fares MUCH better.

If the surrounds are rotten, there is nothing to control any deflection of the cone and distortion occurs way earlier in the movement.

Also rust and metal shavings can become attached to the magnet.
There is precious little room for any material that gets near the voice coil.
This can cause rubbing and binding and my be unrepairable.

If the surround is good, I give them a "bounce test" by gently placing my thumb index and ring fingers as equally spaced as possible around the cone and gently pushing down a few times.

There should be no obstruction to movement whatsoever but there should be smooth resistance to the pressure depending on the design of the speaker.

If there is grinding then either metal has gotten between the coil and the magnet, or the coil has been deformed due to heat or other damage.

a good alternative to crutchfield for those of us that don't need quite that much hand holding is "parts express"

https://www.parts-express.com/#!

one of the few places you can still buy both 4 and 8 ohm "woofers" that aren't sub-woofers.

...and I'll add-

good luck finding a dedicated car audio store anymore.

Remember "Sound Advice"?

if you do find one it's likely to be either a trunk thump store that sells only Boss products

or

if you happen to actually find a higher end store you'll probably not be getting anything for $150 from them

...and one more thing

Pioneer, Alpine and Kenwood are all Japanese companies.

IIRC the only name brand market player that is not is Blaupunkt

Auto Transport Service
Back