• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spiders in my shop

I'll send my little helper that hangs around my house . . . maybe he can help out ? ? ?

View attachment 139118

:iamwithstupid: we have allot of them bug eating guys here too, mostly some Blue Belly lizards, they do a decent job, but outside & not really much in the garage...

You know. I don’t love spiders. They say most all spiders can’t hurt you. I’ve never been able to find a Reculse here. Guess I’m lucky.
I get scared of Black Widows but they are a hiding kind of spiders. Just have to be careful when you get in dark places like under houses.
When I was in Seattle, it was the Hobo Spider which was new to me.
I like to see the Orb Spiders and the increase in spider population this time of year here because it means fall is near and I hate the heat of Georgia summers.
Weaving spiders remind me of Charlotte’s Web.
I’ll take spiders over those Dirt Dabbers (mud wasp). Those messy things nest everywhere and put mud in holes and kill spiders which are beneficial.
The spiders in my barn catch scorpions sometimes.

Maybe it would help to name them.
Boris?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWpz2OYf1QU
Or if you like space stuff, Ziggy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIZyiyQpm4I

I'll send my little helper that hangs around my house . . . maybe he can help out ? ? ?

View attachment 139118

Kewl!!! what is he???

Not the cats of course but the spiders.

riiiiiight lol

Get a high citrus home cleaner. The acidity of the cleaner can eat through exoskeloton...for that reason most bugs wont cross it and stay way the hell away.

sweet tip. im going to have to try that...

LOL booooooooris da spiiiiider.....

here's one I let hang around for a while. don't know what the hell species it was, but it looked cool.

DSC01628.jpgDSC01634.jpg

I like the lizzard approach, as long as they get out of the way when i'm walking around, unlike a dang cat. I i find a spray at tractor supply that works pretty good.

Ok, I've been reading these posts for sometime and thought, why don't you guys just step on the damn things.......until last night! I drove my car yesterday, pulled it back into the garage, and last night, I go outside to have a smoke and as I'm walking past the car, the biggest black widow I've ever seen is making a web from the front bumper to my work bench, about 2 feet away. This thing had to be 3 inches across, so I go take off my slippers, put the work boots on, bang those on the floor first, just incase, then procede to step on that black widow. I could hear the damn thing crunch as my boot made contact with the floor.

Now I don't mind spiders, but a black widow I will not tolerate, as my youngest has a bad habit of playing with bugs and I don't want her to get bitten. Guess I'll be bug bombing the garage this weekend......die Boris, die!!

Ok, I've been reading these posts for sometime and thought, why don't you guys just step on the damn things.......until last night! I drove my car yesterday, pulled it back into the garage, and last night, I go outside to have a smoke and as I'm walking past the car, the biggest black widow I've ever seen is making a web from the front bumper to my work bench, about 2 feet away. This thing had to be 3 inches across, so I go take off my slippers, put the work boots on, bang those on the floor first, just incase, then procede to step on that black widow. I could hear the damn thing crunch as my boot made contact with the floor.

Now I don't mind spiders, but a black widow I will not tolerate, as my youngest has a bad habit of playing with bugs and I don't want her to get bitten. Guess I'll be bug bombing the garage this weekend......die Boris, die!!
What really creeps me out is those millipedes or centipedes in my laundry room.
I HATE those things. The look nasty and probably sting.
I had a small scorpion in my bathroom sink yesterday. That’s unusual.
Spiders don’t really bother me and I have seen them catch the scorpions in my workshop.

When I lived I Seattle, I saw a couple of Widows there. Seems like and they may have been larger then the eastern race. I don’t know if that’s the case.
Yours sounds bigger than what I would expect. We find them in places that you wouldn’t want to put your hand in. Not out in the open.
Call me a little weird. But back before the internet, I caught a Black Widow in the workshop barn and kept it in a glass jar for the kids to see so they would know what one looked like. I found it fascinating watching it kill bugs that were placed in the jar.
A Widow is a cobweb spider. Not much effort goes into the web.
We have had an orb spider that keeps rebuilding its web next to our Humming Bird feeder. This weekend I saw it dropping six feet to the ground.
This morning I found out why. It was putting a guide wire all the way down to the grass below.
When it saw me today it retreated off the web before I could get a picture and made a protective nest.
I needed to refill the feeder and was able to do so without totally wrecking the web. Just broke a few strands.
Maybe she will write something in the web like "Some Pig (Person)", "Terrific", "Radiant", "Humble".
Fall is around the corner if the orb spiders are out.

Attachments

• IMG_20130923_114629 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20130923_114629 (Medium).jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_20130923_113452 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20130923_113452 (Medium).jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 394
Truth be told, that spider may have been smaller than I thought. You see, no pun intended, I only have 1 eye, so my depth perception is not that great...but that bitch was still big and crunchy!!

When we first brought our Belvedere home from Florida, I was out in the garage working on it one night. On the back inside of one of the rims, I saw a spider. No big deal - until I saw the hour glass on it's back. Yeah - a Black Widow had made the trip to WI from FL. And it had an egg sack. I took them all out. It was March - too long to wait for winter to kill them off. That was the first Black Widow I ever saw in person. We don't have them up here in the Great White North. After that, I really kept my eyes peeled when I was working on the car that first spring.

Kewl!!! what is he???

Well . . . good question . . . never seen them before so I'm not really sure . . . anybody know ? ?

So . . . what else do you do when you don't know . . . I google'd it . . .

It's an Eastern Fence Lizard . . .

Per Wikipedia - It is sometimes referred to as the prairie lizard, fence swift, gray lizard, or pine lizard.

Hope that helps ? ? ?

We call them blue runners cause they're FAST!

I don't care about the spiders, i just hate the webs all over everything. I went to my brothers farm yesterday and picked a 5 gallon bucket of osage oranges. We'll see how they work.

Try spraying Suspend it really works. I had an infestation of widows in my shop. The stuff kills on contact and continues killing them for months.

I bought a gallon of Ortho Home Defense and sprayed all the edges and corners of the floor. Made a huge difference!

Dawn liquid soap mixed water will kill them. Keep a bottle of it in the shop for that and other things automotive needs.

Auto Transport Service
Back