I did not replace the foam padding, but did replace my vinyl upholstery seats. The tricks are:
- let the new covers soak up some sun...making them pliable makes them much easier to get on. I didn't do this on the 1st one and put a lot more effort into its install than the rest.
- don't get frustrated or impatient... that's when stitching gets torn. Take a step back if needed during the process.
- putting plastic over the padding does make the covers more easy to move around.
- take the time to make sure edges are where they are supposed to be...you will be much happier with the end product.
- hog ring pliers are well worth the $15ish bucks.
- if you are mechanically inclined, you can do this.