• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Apr

Spring Fling 36 Apr 20 & 21, 2024 Van Nuys CA -info & roll call

Soooo... Back in January I took my green car down to Burbank for a few days... Ran flawlessly.... Hadn't really touched it since other than a few around town drives...

Been busy working on projects & some changes to the red car plus getting a friends car going .... Add a few work related trips.. Just keeping busy...

So prior to Spring Fling I cleaned up the green car, checked the fluids & tires & figured I was ready to go....

Well, From Modesto to the Grapevine went pretty smoothly... Around Magic Mountain I noticed a little belt squeal, not bad but not normal... I didn't expect much of a problem so I felt I'd keep an eye on things & get that last 30 miles done before worrying about it..

Water temp was staying low but battery voltage was intermittently dropping, sometimes 14.4 sometimes 12.5.... Never dropped below 12.2 so nothing to concerning....

Made it past the 405 split & started getting more belt noise.... Temp was good.. Less than 7 miles to go...

Took the Sherman Way off ramp & now the voltage is down to 12.2 & the belt noise is constant... Temp is fine, less than a mile to the hotel.... Made it to the Airtel, popped the hood & found one belt is shredded & the other is pretty rough but still hanging...

Then I noticed something looked odd about the alternator.... The pulley wasn't straight... Turns out the front bearing let go... Never made a sound, no growling, no pops or snaps... Nothing, just a little belt noise... Pulled the alternator off & hit Autozone... Brought back an alternator but they didn't have a belt.... Reused the single old belt.... Fired up the car & it was charging & we were late for dinner... So, lets hit the road.... Got dinner & got back to the Airtel.... Next morning is the Malibu Cruise... Got to the park & when it was time to go we hit the freeway for the first time since this had begun... Well... The belt slips at anything over 40 MPH... You could watch the charge voltage fall... But even when slipping it mostly stayed at 12.7 or above so if it didn't get worse with luck I'd be okay... Kept an eye on things & enjoyed the drive.... Got to the first real stop at the Rock Store & tried tightening the belt... Might have gotten a quarter inch of adjustment (probably less), finished up the cruise which was awesome (Thanks to the CPW crew for doing that) We broke away from the group, had lunch at Christy's.... And headed back toward the Airtel... On the way back we hit a few auto parts stores & scored a set of house brand belts... Got to the hotel & swapped them out.... Charging was fixed, felt I could now use the A/C if I wanted to so life is good....

Some of nice higher end parts I happen to catch on camera...

almost nos set of 450 and set pf 390 rims, max wedge long block, MP hemi block

IMG_9239.JPG

IMG_9249.JPG

Stuff like that happens to us all. Mechanical devices do break eventually.
Here are a few other cars that I saw yesterday....

SF 24 68.JPG

I'm pretty sure this is a car from Roadkill.

SF 24 70.JPG

SF 24 73.JPG

SF 24 75.JPG

SF 24 76.JPG

SF 24 78.JPG

SF 24 77.JPG

I was honored to park next to these other fine cars.

SF 24 82.JPG

SF 24 85.JPG

On the way home, we pulled off the freeway to look at a mechanical issue and saw a classic plane display....

SF 24 96.JPG

I heard someone say they saw a 68-69 Superbee on the hiway in fire ??????
Hopefully it was just a rumor , If not Hopefully no one was injured,, the cars can be replaced.

Otherwise , Glad everyone made it home safe and sound.
It was great to put faces to screen names gents. And looking forward to next year already

I heard someone say they saw a 68-69 Superbee on the hiway in fire ??????
Hopefully it was just a rumor , If not Hopefully no one was injured,, the cars can be replaced.

Otherwise , Glad everyone made it home safe and sound.
It was great to put faces to screen names gents. And looking forward to next year already
A buddy of mine knew a guy who's car burned on Thursday... Something in the right rear wheel.. Severely damaged....

It was good to finally meet you....

Cool trucks.

The stripes on the yellow one were painted on by the selling dealer. Original owner family. The stacks, taillights, front emblem were added later.

IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0049.JPG

nope someone else’s

i took only about three or four pics and no video

just spent time chatting and mopar watching

was an awesome fun day

watermelon
Eric, your car looked great.
SF 24 Watermelon.JPG

I love putting a face to the car.
Your Tremec installation thread motivated me to make the leap to do mine.
That Coronet looks too cool to let go. Imagine your regret a few years from now if you sold it!

View attachment 1653143

That Coronet looks too cool to let go. Imagine your regret a few years from now if you sold it!

thanks Greg

yeah it’s a thrill ride each time i take it out

will continue to enjoy it for a while

and as for the name Watermelon and the part about my head looking normal - the problem is what’s inside it :p

watermelon

View attachment 1653143

Man there is something about this picture! Angle? BITCHIN form.

Auto Transport Service
Back