• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

starting a 440 out of the car

cherokeechief79

Local time
12:31 AM
Reaction score
i just bought a 440 and trans together.
it has headers and is on my garage floor.
any tips on starting this thing on my floor?

Yes. get it solidly and securely mounted on a proper engine stand designed for such.

280.jpg

Build a stand of some sort. Metal, wood...something to anchor the beast otherwise you'll be chasing it across the garage floor

You can do a compression test to look for dead cylinders. To start it as a redneck like me might, find a good fire extinguisher, put a short length of hose on the fuel pump and put a coffee can for gas under it. two tablespoons of gas down the carb, jumper wire on the coil, then jump it at the starter.

If it's been sitting, you won't learn much as it will run poorly and shouldn't be run long enough to warm it up. You can ascertain if it will start or not.

I've done it before but it's pretty hairy! You shouldn't rev it up or it will want to roll on its side! I would maybe put a length of something crossways under it and tie it down to prevent it from going on its side? Just a thought. ruffcut

I’ve done it many times and it’s no big deal. It doesn’t go anywhere. Especially with headers.

if you are scared of it you can put blocks under the ears of the block by the bellhousing and bolt a bracket under the lower bellhousing bolts and screw through the brackets into the wood. This will keep the wood block from coming out. Wasted time though, not needed but it makes the wife happy. LOL

How long can a motor be run safely with no coolant in it?

A few minutes. You could connect up a radiator without a fan but still turning the water pump and run it longer. Just need to keep it held out and away from the belt.

I wouldn’t start engine that with the converter unsupported. It only bolted to the “flex” plate.

I wouldn’t start engine that with the converter unsupported. It only bolted to the “flex” plate.
I would certainly be dubious on start up.

I should say , On the other hand.
if you feel like you can afford a professionally built test/run stand , or you will be testing many engines over your life , I would get the professionally built unit.

I’m a daredevil….lol. Seriously , no problem whatsoever
Hey why not, what’s the worst thing that could happen?

So how much does that 12” converter weigh? And supported on one plane with a floppy plate? Not gonna be me starting that potential bomb.

Hey why not, what’s the worst thing that could happen?

So how much does that 12” converter weigh? And supported on one plane with a floppy plate? Not gonna be me starting that potential bomb.
Ok, so even with a b&m flexplate, the bolts are still damn close to the block.
Just put one on last night. Wouldn't be funny to watch those make contact!

Auto Transport Service
Back