• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starting and charging 69 road runner

paladin06

Local time
1:22 PM
Reaction score
OK, I finally took the car out for little drive the other day. Everything seemed ok until I got home. I turned the car off, went to restart and it was graveyard dead.

So got another battery, the next day and she fired right up. I did a test with my hand held device and it said the battery was defective. Not trusting my tester I took the car to the local repair shop for testing. Their tester called out the voltage regulator bad. The alternator checked GOOD.

No problem, I purchased one, drove home, put it on and the car fired right up. I turned it off, went to restart and NOTHING.

I put the old voltage regulator back in and it turned over but would not start. I put my jumper on it and it fired up and ran fine. Removed the jumper and it's grave yard dead!!

Any help appreciated..

Some of the auto parts store voltage regs are know to be no good for mopars, try to find a good one from places like mancini's or Jim's autozone stuff is not good for our old cars. I would in your case get a new reg, ballast resistor, and do an overall tune up on the distributor if you have old points style ignition. Another option is to convert to electronic ignition or go full aftermarket and use a box like an mds 6al with a mechanical electronic distrib. etc.

When you say dead you mean will not crank at all? First thing is to check all battery connections and put new cables if any are suspected bad or have loose crimp joints, etc.. Also, the starter relay on the firewall near the bulkhead connector has one of the pins soldered to the case (manual tranny only). If this connection isn't grounded the car won't turn over.

Note P/N MD2631 and 2632, with 2631 being the manual tranny type.
http://www.classicindustries.com/mopar/parts/electrical-wiring/switches-fuses/relays/?p=1&sb=2&r=15

Another possibility is the segment of the bulkhead connector that has the ignition wiring. Those are notorious for being corroded or burnt up due to high resistance from a poor connection. Bad connection = high resistance = HEATER!

When you say dead you mean will not crank at all? First thing is to check all battery connections and put new cables if any are suspected bad or have loose crimp joints, etc.. Also, the starter relay on the firewall near the bulkhead connector has one of the pins soldered to the case (manual tranny only). If this connection isn't grounded the car won't turn over.

Note P/N MD2631 and 2632, with 2631 being the manual tranny type.
http://www.classicindustries.com/mopar/parts/electrical-wiring/switches-fuses/relays/?p=1&sb=2&r=15

Another possibility is the segment of the bulkhead connector that has the ignition wiring. Those are notorious for being corroded or burnt up due to high resistance from a poor connection. Bad connection = high resistance = HEATER!

+1 on sound advice.

I think what Paladin meant by jumper was he put a set of battery jumper cables on and the car started (ie the battery was dead again and is not receiving a charge). So we can narrow it down to his charging circuit and not ignition. So the questions are is whether he still has all the factory stuff like the alternator, wiring, ammeter.

OK, I finally took the car out for little drive the other day. Everything seemed ok until I got home. I turned the car off, went to restart and it was graveyard dead.

So got another battery, the next day and she fired right up. I did a test with my hand held device and it said the battery was defective. Not trusting my tester I took the car to the local repair shop for testing. Their tester called out the voltage regulator bad. The alternator checked GOOD.

No problem, I purchased one, drove home, put it on and the car fired right up. I turned it off, went to restart and NOTHING.

I put the old voltage regulator back in and it turned over but would not start. I put my jumper on it and it fired up and ran fine. Removed the jumper and it's grave yard dead!!

Any help appreciated..

Paladin,

The issue may be more than one my friend. I would follow the power from its source through the electrical system. Start from the battery to the bulkhead and with the key in the ignition set it to start and test both sides of your ballast resistor to see if the voltage is making that far....I had a very similar gremlin.

OK, after several days of checking I found a number of shorts to ground in the power (+) cable from the battery and some aftermarket stereo (high end that I'm going to dump) under the hood. I also found some other very bad wiring at the alternator relay and the starter motor.

Now my new question. I have replaced some of the wiring from the ballast resistor to the alternator and to the alternator relay. My question is, does the wire from the ballast resistor to the IGN side of the alternator attach to left side or the right side of ballast resistor (facing the car)? I think I got it right but I just want to make sure.

Thanks Guys!

PS the car does have stock ignition.

Greg A

I honestly don't think it would matter since within the ballast resistor there is just some wire that reduces the the volts to an acceptable level for the coil. Is it two prong or single prong ballast? To be honest I think if all of us saw pictures of what you're working with we'd all recommend replacing the entire harness from the sound of it. That's probably most the battle right there. Trust me the M&H harnesses are a lot cheaper than a fire.

Well, all put back together, turned her over and she fired right up and is charging. Thanks all for your help.

Now if I can just figure out this damn under the dash reverse light (4 speed). :-(

Well don't leave us hangin', what was the fix?

Well, I replaced the positive battery cable, the starter relay, the voltage regulator, the ballast resistor, the battery and I also did this little trick;
Wiring Upgrade

I have performed the following upgrade on my own charging system with good results. I chose to perform the upgrade this way because 1) it was easy and 2) it does not require cutting, modifying or otherwise tampering with existing electrical wires. As said earlier, the original electrical system design was higly ineffecient. Electricity leaving the alternator was sent all throughout the cabin of the car before ever reaching the battery to charge it. Here we will add a single charging circuit, comprised of 2 heavy gauge wires, that will route alternator juice right into the battery, effectively shunting the existing wiring. Go back to the wiring diagram and trace the original circuit path from the alternator (R6-12-BK), through 'P' on the bulkhead, into the dash mess, back out through 'J' (S4-16-BR) on the bulkhead, to the starter relay (battery). The new wiring circuit goes from the alternator, to the starter relay (battery), minus the mess in the middle. Electricity favors the path of least resistance and the big fat heavy gauge wire will now carry the bulk of the current which originally would have gone through the smaller gauge mess that came from the factory.

The ammeter will, as a result, be rendered useless. In it's place I wired up a neat little digital voltmeter. With the unit inside the car mounted on my dash, I ran the wires for the voltmeter into the engine compartment connected directly to the battery, giving me a no-bullshit assessment of whether my battery is being charged or not. One nice thing about the digital voltmeter is that it is backlit and has idiot lights that blink and beep if the voltage drops below 11volts.

Start by disconnecting the battery (red positive lead comes off) thereby shutting off electrical power to the car. Unless you enjoy sudden, unexpected jolts of electricity.

Run a length of red 8 gauge from the BATT post of the alternator with a fusible link crimped on the end and secure it to the BATT post of the starter relay. Proper sizing of the fusible link is two gauge sizes smaller than the wire it is meant to protect (ie. an 8 gauge charge wire will need 12 gauge fusible link) and about 3 inches in length. NAPA sells fusible link by the roll. Make sure you have a fusible link on the end of this wire that gets secured to the starter relay; do not install this charge wire without a fusible link. Run a second length of red 8 gauge from the positive terminal on the battery, again with fusible link at the end, to the starter relay.

An extra step that wouldn't hurt: Trace the wire that runs from the alternator BATT terminal, through the bulkhead connector, to the negative side of the of ammeter behind the dash; note where it is. Then trace the wire that runs from the starter relay BATT post, through the bulkhead connector, to the positive side of the ammeter. Disconnect the wire from the negative side ammeter connection and secure it over the positive one. This disconnects the ammeter from the electrical system all together.

That's pretty much it. Make a few extra lengths of fusible link to carry as spares.

What your voltmeter will tell you :
10.0v - 12.9v = Under charging...!
13.0v - 15.0v = Normal charging
16.0v +plus = Overcharging..!

Cool, I have also done that charging wiring mod to my car. She always sits at 14.2v.

Auto Transport Service
Back